Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being the road tramp that I am, I don't have time to load at home on the fast weekends that I have, so... I decided to take my portable reload bench and associated press, tools, dies, and all the required materials and equipment with me. Got it set up in the living room of the Airstream (the Wife's still at home) and I'm a gittin 'er done. 45-70, 38-55, 32-40 and 32-20. 600 total rounds so far and probably another 100 of 38-55. Note the spent Moose Drool Box. Makes it go a lot smoother and hope I don't have any mis-fires!

20140615_220611.jpg

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mans got to do what a man has to do. Glad you are at it Gare! Look forward to visiting and shooting together!!
I'm counting down the days, John. I'm also bringing Sub11#s (Steve B.) with me. He's a hoot!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's official . . . I'm jealous.

B

·
Registered
176 Posts
HDStreet,
You got all that done and the wife is still OK with it. Don't know about you guys, but assuming she is making the trip, I am impressed!!!
Best Regards from just North of Buffalo Gap, Tx. Ya'll have fun…..
G Mac

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HDStreet,
You got all that done and the wife is still OK with it. Don't know about you guys, but assuming she is making the trip, I am impressed!!!
Best Regards from just North of Buffalo Gap, Tx. Ya'll have fun…..
G Mac
Ahh... Buffalo Gap, I have fond memories from there. We'll G Mac, my lovely wife is in Texas while I work in the Denver are and on to the Happenz. But with the way I have the "loading room" set up here, she'd be OK with it as long as it would come down when I was finished. And Jim knows her well!

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Man, I am being pulled one way or another. I just got my rig up for reloading (no comments please (msharley) and it is slow going. The main thing is that I have the air ticket, the hotel room, the rental car, my camera and my fishing pole! That gets me to WA (oh I almost forgot, my cigars). I only had a torch light that is persona non grata in the air. Had to buy a flint lighter to get by TSA!

If I have to rent ammo or whatever, I'll be OK. My 1893 .38-55 will be getting there ahead of me thanks to Wind!

Here's your chance boys, before I pack. Any of you that are partial to cigars, let me know now, or just like in weddings forever hold your peace. I only wish that I had as many .38-55's now as I do cigars!

John

·
Registered
990 Posts
Dang Gare,
It must pretty tough to drive and reload at the same. Kinda have to be in two places at one time. It might be easier if the reloading station was in the front passenger seat of the truck, that way you could reach everything while keeping one eye on the road. is the Moose Drool some secret ingredient for Reloading lube or just meant for mental and intestinal fortitude? :biggrin:

Looking forward to shooting with you again and listening to that sweet southern cowboy drawl of yours. See you soon, safe travels my friend.
Ron

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Dang Gare,
It must pretty tough to drive and reload at the same. Kinda have to be in two places at one time. It might be easier if the reloading station was in the front passenger seat of the truck, that way you could reach everything while keeping one eye on the road. is the Moose Drool some secret ingredient for Reloading lube or just meant for mental and intestinal fortitude? :biggrin:

Looking forward to shooting with you again and listening to that sweet southern cowboy drawl of yours. See you soon, safe travels my friend.
Ron
Hey Ron- I like that idea. Maybe I could set up a 3 stage press on the console of the truck and punch em out goin down the road. Instead of 70 miles per hour, I'd be travelin at 140 rounds per hour? The Moose Drool is more or less the official beer of the hyphenated bunch. For those that don't drink beer, can drink iced tea, except SRF. After a hard days dinger ringing, he settles in for a single malt scotch. Cheers Steve. Gonna miss ya this year, Brother. And Ron, looking forward to popping some caps with ya!

Reactions: drjjpdc and Wet Dog

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Started to feel like I had little platoons standing around in formation on the parade deck this morning. Got em all marching together now.

Dang Gare, wish I could turn em out at 140 per hour. Don't you let Ron get you into any trouble with the HP!

Gonna be a gamble loading in the blind (probably not as much as if I loaded on the dash) but this is what I’m bringing to try out in the Sharps (which is up North as I type).

Lee 500gr 3r , actual weight 484gr.
and a Lee Hollow Base nose pour (Green Lizzard removed the hollow base cone so they are essentially plain base)
May try that second one in the Cowboy if the heavier ones shoot well enough.

Formations.jpg Formation (2).jpg

GL, I DID stay up late :)

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Gare - Your reloading situation reminds me of the story about the RV being followed by a Wyoming Highway Patrol vehicle out in western Wyoming. The patrol officer noted the RV was doing a rock steady 70 MPH, when after a real long straight away it went off the road at a gentle lefthand curve, down a shallow embankment, through a fence, and out into a rancher's cattle range. The officer stops, runs up to the RV just as the badly shaken driver stumbles out. He asks the driver, "You all right, what happened"? The driver replies, "I'm not sure, the wife and kids were in the back watching a DVD movie, the cruise was set on 70 and I got hungry, so got up and went back to the refrigerator to make myself a sandwich, and here we are".
Watch those left hand curves. :biggrin: Shenandoah

1 - 17 of 17 Posts