Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back to the range to practice a little more with my '58 30-30. Used Winchester PowerMax ammo.

When I first took my rifle out to the 100 yard, this is how my target looked.

Then I went out again and it got better.

And this was from yesterday. I had a few get away from me with flinching (had some guy on an AR-15 randomly popping shots right next to me.) but there were a few good groups.

Love this gun. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Good groups and nice rifle. Practice, practice, practice is what I'm always told- plus its fun to do.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Very nice. And I also hate it when those idiots with AR-15's show up and start blasting away. When that happens it's time for me to pack up and go home.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Good on ya, and notwithstanding the other shooters at the range, you're doin' fine.
I too have one of those AR things, but range time is so precious, and Pig time is so dear, I've never gotten around to upacking it!
If you really want to break a smile, shoot a tighter group with some bullets YOU made.....

Work before play...
Work with Lever guns and time priorities take precidence over playing with toys....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand if it's crowded. But there are 20 stations at the 100 and he had to plop right next to me? with 18 other booths open? Ha. Oh well. :p Hopefully going back out tomorrow.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Definitely getting better good for you. If you don't mind my sharing my observations...

Focus on your fundamentals. Mainly breathing and trigger squeeze. Never force the shot. Pick your head up, take a deep breath, stretch your finger, whatever, but don't force it if it don't feel right. The harder you try the worse you will do. Tension and anxiety is very much transferred to the target. Remind yourself, it is just shooting. I didn't learn to write in a day.

With those targets you have, I would also suggest you shoot three shot groups at each of them. No more. Three shots and done. Preferably, three shots at one circle and no more shots until you can go down range and observe it. Patience. No need to frustrate yourself.

Relax and get your groups.

Irons or scope?

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
So Hal, guys that shoot AR-15's are idiots? ;D

I always thought to be pro-gun you should support them all, even if you don't ike 'em......

ERock said:
I understand if it's crowded. But there are 20 stations at the 100 and he had to plop right next to me? with 18 other booths open? Ha. Oh well. :p Hopefully going back out tomorrow.
Maybe he was feeling lonely? ;D
Personally, I focus on what I'm trying to do and block out what others are doing no matter what they're shooting and how close they are...I guess I'm good at doing that....probably has something to do having 4 kids and the arguing and fighting I had to endure ;D

You're doing good....Keep on keepin' on!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eli Chaps said:
Definitely getting better good for you. If you don't mind my sharing my observations...

Focus on your fundamentals. Mainly breathing and trigger squeeze. Never force the shot. Pick your head up, take a deep breath, stretch your finger, whatever, but don't force it if it don't feel right. The harder you try the worse you will do. Tension and anxiety is very much transferred to the target. Remind yourself, it is just shooting. I didn't learn to write in a day.

With those targets you have, I would also suggest you shoot three shot groups at each of them. No more. Three shots and done. Preferably, three shots at one circle and no more shots until you can go down range and observe it. Patience. No need to frustrate yourself.

Relax and get your groups.

Irons or scope?
Thanks for the tips! I know I need more work on my trigger squeezing. Sometimes I'll fire one off and I'll know it was a bad shot before even looking at the target.

It's a vortex 3x9 scope

I'm not biased to AR-15 guys though. I love those guns. I don't own one but I will someday. I own a SAR-1 AK47 and that's a lot of fun to shoot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.