Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that the 880 SQ was Marlin's attempt to build a "super accurate" squirrel rifle (I'm paraphasing). I've had some real good and some real lousy accuracy from mine. I did get the trigger done on it, it now pulls at a real crisp 2lb, not super light but it's suits me fine. It was pulling a rough 8lb or so when it was new, lol.

Does anyone else find that the accuracy of these (or any) rifles will vary greatly depending on the brand/type of ammo?

I'm thinking of getting it recrowned, maybe and possibly adding some weight to the stock.

Does the trouble lie with the Micro-Grooved barrel do you think?

Any tips and/or ideas on accurising this rifle would be appreciated.

Tag.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think accuracy will vary with different kinds of ammo no matter what. Lucky is the person who gets a rifle that shoots everything well.

I have an 880 SQ from the first year of production that is very accurate with some ammo and not-so with others. Aguila "SE" Super Extra 40 grain shoots amazingly well, as does CCI's "Velocitor" 40 grain load. PMC "Zapper" is another winner. Remington Bulk? Nope. Federal Bulk? So-so accuracy. Wolf Rifle Match? One hole. CCI "Stingers"? Wildly inaccurate!

What groups are you getting? and at what range? and with what scope?~Andrew

·
Registered
25 Posts
Accuracy will depend on several factors. Most times you will get the best out of match or std vel ammo. Most rifles will shoot different ammo differently with substantial changes in group sizes. To get the best from any ammo and rifle you have to have a solid rest, try different positions of resting the forearm, experiment with different pressure on the cheek and butt, don't change posiitons between shots or hold the forearm on one shot and not the next and also remember that a cross wind at the bench will throw your shot more than one at the target as it has a longer time to effect the bullet path.

www.martincustom.com

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A few of those brand I have tried and some I haven't. The funny thing is that I was luck to hit the paper with the CCI Velocitors, lol. Anyway, I'm going to experiment some more with ammo I guess and at least then I have somewhere to start.

I think that cleaning the barrel makes a difference. It seems to me that after I clean it the accuracy takes a while to come back. Then it shoots good fro a while, then the accuracy falls off again.

I try my best to shoot consistantly from the bench when I'm testing ammo, I don't have that much trouble with my centerfire rifles but maybe this little guy is sensitive like that.

G

·
tag,these 880sq at not the best shooting rimfire rifles out there.the 880sq is a rifle that costs around $250.00 that should cost around $100.oo.i would recommend to anyone looking for a new rifle to look at something else.any of the CZ rifles will outshoot the 880sq.the cz trainer runs about $200.00 if you can find one.lots better than the 880sq.these marlin rifles at Wally World rifles

G

·
i ment to say these marlin rifles are Wally World rifles.no Marlin rimfire should cost over $129.00.for that money they wouldnt be a bad buy.they are great 15 to 25 yd rifles.something for the beginer to have to start off with.over priced junk in my book

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sounds like your rifle may just need more rounds down the barrel. I had a Ballard .22 relined and I was not happy with the accuracy. I stuck with it trying various types of ammo and after maybe 200 rounds the groups began the shrink. I was getting maybe 4 inch groups at 50 yards. Now I'am down to an inch to an inch and a half depending on the ammo. Parley

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could be right. I had an old Cooey and I swear it would shoot better groups than my 880. Trouble is I've not had too many 22's to compare this thing to. Maybe it's time to take my rimfire shooting a little more seriously and get a new rifle, I don't know...

I'll check out the price of a CZ up here north of the 49th.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have an 880 SQ that drives tacks. I have shot others that have as well. Again: How far and what kind of scope?? It matters.~Andrew

PS: If you want it to shoot, stop cleaning it so much.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Try loosening the front stock bolt, 1/4 turn makes a big difference. If that does not work then try inserting two business cards ( 1/4 inch wide) under the front of the barrel to act as a pressure pad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
accuracy

I have never been unhappy about the accuracy from my 880 sq. I installed a rifle basix trigger after trying to do my own trigger job and it is great! It keeps me from wanting any other bolt 22.
I found my own trigger job was light but the sear engagment would fail if the rifle butt was bumped hard enough.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This seems to be a common complaint. Everyone that I personally know that has a 880SQ and myself (had one for 4 years or so). really like them. It's just getting to know what shoots best out of them. I have put mine up against a friends CZ and it does just as good. Mine does have the Rifle Basix trigger. You know it wasn't designed to be a target rifle, mainly a squirrel rifle. I am hitting squirrles in the head at 50 to 70 yards with no problem. The gun shoots as good as I can shoot. I think alot of folks expect it to keep up with $600 and up guns. It wount do that, but I don't take a thousand dollar gun banging around the woods either. It's a $200 gun that can shoot real well for the money and get you a bunch of squirrles. You do have to break them in a bit. Use a bunch of bulk ammo and shoot cans. After a few thousand rounds switch to your hunting ammo (Mine is Wolf Match Target modified with a Paco tool). Hope yours comes in the way you want. As for the guest that doesn't like the 880SQ, I have alot of squirrel hides taken at alot more than 25 yards (a chip shot).

·
Registered
706 Posts
I might as well get my 2 cents worth in here too.

I have been shooting .22 rimfires for 50 years or so and they ALL have a preference for just one or two brands of ammo. They all needed to have the barrel broken in with 500 to 1,000 or more rounds of bulk ammo. They all preferred to go easy on the cleaning, at least for the bore.

So, have fun Tag with the breaking in and experimenting with all the different types of ammo.

Get a box of everything you can find in your area. Shoot them all several times and keep track of the group sizes. When you find the one or two brands or types that work best go back to the store and buy up all of that same brand, type and lot number that you can get and afford. 5.000 to 10,000 rounds isn’t too much to stockpile. Then you will have a good supply of what works best. Also, if you end up with more than one rifle of pistol write down what works with which gun so you will not forget as time goes by.

I believe that a guy can never own too many .22 rimfires. They are fun, cheap to shoot and have almost no recoil. Don’t forget to wear hearing protection however. I have probably put more total meat on the table with my .22’s than with my big bores.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Tag said:
You could be right. I had an old Cooey and I swear it would shoot better groups than my 880. Trouble is I've not had too many 22's to compare this thing to. Maybe it's time to take my rimfire shooting a little more seriously and get a new rifle, I don't know...

I'll check out the price of a CZ up here north of the 49th.
Couple questions and a little bit of my own experience- Was that Cooey a model 75 by any chance? Where abouts are ya N. of 49? If you are in the west, watch the gunshows for Lapua ammo- great stuff- pricey but worth it....

I'm assuming you have your SQ scoped- make sure the mounts and rings are tight. I had a stripped out ring bolt drive me crazy with poor groups- and it took a long time to find the problem. Some scopes are kinda poor at holdong a consistent zero too- might be worth checking by trying a different scope....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
199 Posts
Anonymous said:
i ment to say these marlin rifles are Wally World rifles.no Marlin rimfire should cost over $129.00.for that money they wouldnt be a bad buy.they are great 15 to 25 yd rifles.something for the beginer to have to start off with.over priced junk in my book
Well Mr. Guest, I think there are a lot of us here who would differ with you about the accuracy of some of our Marlins. I have a Marlin 39A that I would love to have paid only $129 for. If you can buy them for anywhere close to that, I believe you are in a position to make some very good profits.

I will admit to not having any experience with an 880 Marlin, but all of the Marlins I do have, are fully capable of respectable performances at distances exceeding 100 yards.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Which rifle do you shoot more your .22 rimfire or your beloved centerfire of what ever caliber.

Personally I shoot my 22's a lot more it's a wonder they don't cost a lot more than they do.

MR Guest, I have maxed the black death target with my 880. It did take some experimenting with different ammo and scope combinations and about 3bricks of ammo before it settled in and started shooting really tight groups. Then thats the fun of having a new 22 anyway.

Have fun shoot straight and smile when ya say that pardner.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mr.Guest is probably one of those that thinks you buy a rifle, put a scope on it and sell it after the first box of what ever ammo happened to be at the store at the time if it won't hold a 1/2 inch at 50 yards. What fools some of these people are.

I never give up on a .22 rifle or pistol until around 2,000 rounds and at least 10 brands and or types of ammo. Like you said bowdog, that’s the fun of having a new 22 anyway.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Mr Guest was and is a troll .. ..

·
Registered
422 Posts
My 2 cents....

I've had mine since they first came out. I Brownell's Accraglass bedded it into a laminate stock and floated the barrel from about 1" past the chamber end. I had the trigger done by a gunsmith to about 2 lbs. Weaver V-16 scope in a BKL mount.

I don't know how many thousands of rounds I have through it but it shoots better and better all the time. RWS Target Rifle, CCI Green Tag and CCI Standard velocity shoot great, as do Federal Gold Medal (the good stuff-pricey!) With these brands of ammo, I can usually shoot one ragged hole at 50 yards for 10 shot groups. I quit cleaning the barrel and just shoot it. I only clean the chamber and bolt when it gets really dirty.

My suggestions to those who don't seem to get good results with theirs?

Shoot the rifle as much as possible.

Shoot as many types of ammo as possible until you find what it likes.

Have the trigger safely adjusted to a lighter weight and cleaner pull for better shooting.

Use a good scope.

Clean the bore sparingly.

And again, shoot the rifle as much as possible.

I'm fully satisfied with mine and rarely shoot any of my other 22's now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, I'll try shoot that thing some more I guess, and check all what needs to be checked.

Doc. Yes it was a Cooey 75 and I live in Alberta.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts