Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received word Friday that I have a 336 in 35 Remington waiting for me to pick up Saturday.... :D

A request for veteran Marlin 336 owners in 35 Rem - aside from getting into handloading, what did you do to improve your shooting experience with this great bush caliber and gun?

Thanks for any good advice you share!

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
As Ranch Dog says, shoot it as much as you can. One gun is not like another. Mine likes AA 2520 both in cast and jacketed. I keep it simple. 35gr. of 2520 for my cast 210gr. bullet, and a bit more for the 200gr. jacketed.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Mine likes AA2520 and AA2015 with the 200 gr Rem. They are very good rifles and quite accurate. Shoot it as much as you can.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Shoot it often and have fun with it. I love mine. Mine seems to like H4895 with the 200 gr. Corelokts.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
They are all different. Mine was made in 1970 and loves BL-C2 but looks like a shotgun pattern with AA 2520. HYDE

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked it up today and has excellently figured wood. Smooth working action. Also picked up some Speer 180 grain flat nosed bullets for reloading - will pick up the Sierra 200 gr and Speer 220 gr bullets later to see which this gun shoots best with.

I think I'll be having a great time this fall hunting with this gun and other Marlins I have.

Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I would like to know how those 180s shoot.

I do not reload but mine likes the 150 Rem corlokt factory loads for accuracy. I used to hunt with them but because of a problem encountered last year I will be returning to the 200, Federal Premium factory loads.

Ranch Dog said it best, just shoot it and enjoy.

SS

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ranch Dog said:
John Spartan said:
Also picked up some Speer 180 grain flat nosed bullets for reloading...
Both my 336D and SC like the Speer 180-grain FN with H4895.

Like wise .
Then mine also likes the 205 GC lead ( RCBS ) over a full case of varget.

Check into Remington 35 loadings part one and two , a wealth of information.

Most people that have a 35 Remington and reload love their guns
:D Happy

·
Registered
1 Posts

:D I purchased a used .35 from a pawnshop a couple years back.I took a cowhorn spike with it.I am very pleased with this rifle.But,in sep I plan to get a new one in mossyoak cammo.I've owned two other Marlin leverguns and won't buy anything else.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Handloading the 180 grain Speer brings the old 35 up to 300 Savage performance levels out to approx. 180 yards or so. Past this distance, velocity loss is more of an issue "on paper" than real life hunting conditions.
Jack

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: .35

Rich64 said:
:D I purchased a used .35 from a pawnshop a couple years back.I took a cowhorn spike with it.I am very pleased with this rifle.But,in sep I plan to get a new one in mossyoak cammo.I've owned two other Marlin leverguns and won't buy anything else.
Well I too enjoy my Marlins though two a 45/70 guide and a 17 HRF were a bit of a disappointment. Q/C issues.
I have an older 336 made in '54 and will never part with this 35. There is something about levering an older Marlin that is hard to discrible. Maybe they are so smooth because they were hand fitted, but I think I am hooked after selling the last two new rifles.
Once in awhile you will find a RC @ a gun show or a dealer and they are well worth the money. Mine is the pre micro grove and man goes it shoot.
Now Iam watching for the same in 30/30.
Then again I like old winnies too.
Happy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts