Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been shooting my old Marlin 60 (good shooting gun) since I dropped my 880SQ on the scope and broke it. Since my eyes are not what they used to be, I can really tell the differance in the 32MM scope that is on the 60 than the 50MM that was on the 880SQ. I was hunting at about sunset the other day and could hardly see a thing. If you cann't see it you cann't hit it. The 50MM really helped on the low light shooting. Waiting for all the Christmas bills, doctor bills, and heating oil bills to go be until I buy another scope for my 880SQ. Maybe I'll get lucky and some scopes will go on sale around March.

·
Registered
363 Posts
ole grizz:

i entirely agree with you. all my squirrel rifles sport 1 inch tubes and 40mm objectives for their light gathering capabilities. in low light conditions i can see better through the scope than with my eyes. that is important if you are hunting in timber at daylight , dusk or on one of those low cloudy days.

last scope i bought was a simmons atv 4.5x14x40 ao. this scope is clear and cost under $100 delivered from the sportsmans guide. squirrels hate the thing! lol!

luck!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Banner Dawn & Dusk 4-12 X 40 MM A/O by Bushnell gives me extra hunting time- pretty much in line with legal definitions here- 1/2 hr before sunrise, and 1/2 hr past sunset.

While this is a good scope, I still have and use a couple of 3/4" tube scopes- a Weaver B-4, and a reproduction tube sight. The Weaver holds a rock solid zero. They lack the light gathering qualities of the bigger newer scopes, but are a lot of fun to use. The Banner gets the bulk of the hunting time though...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I can see the advantage of a 50mm scope for light transference...but I have hesitated going to anything larger than 32mm because I don't like to have such a high differential vis-a-vis the line of bore; the .22 lr having a "rainbow" trajectory already and usually a short range proposition...

Truly, these old eyes long for the days when I used "irons" almost exclusively....but I won't see that again this side of the "great divide"...LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts