Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Some carving can look good if a professional does it, but that's hideous. At least the rest of the rifle looks decent.

We're doing an NRCS dam where we're going to be cutting down some black walnuts because they're in the borrow area. That rifle would be a prime candidate for restocking with a nice, UNcarved buttstock and forend.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Danm, that would have been a nice rifle except for the stock being all scratched up and the receiver drilled and tapped :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Wow, that's even worse than the one on Brockman's web page. Check out the patriot rifle on www.brockmansrifles.com.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Actually if I had some ready cash I'd buy that ugly thing. First thing I'd do then is SAND the ugly off the stocks. The wood might be a little 'shrunk' looking but then it wouldn't be such an UGLY 'A' in 35 Rem with ballard rifling. The letter code is G I do believe that works out to 1951? Even if it is a reblue when I got done it would be the prettiest Marlin I personally own.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nothing a new stock wouldn't fix :lol:

I got a nice 1952 vintage .35 rem last year real cheap and was tempted to "fool" with it. Couldn't bring myself to touch it. Too nice as it was.

If you could get that one for $150 it would be an ok deal. Nice project gun and you wouldn't have to feel guilty messing with it.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It looks like Shoe Goo around the tang!!!
That is one butt ugly gun :(
The one on Brockmans is just as ugly...Icouldn't bring myself to show up at camp with that thing. :oops:
On the other hand some new wood or paint remover would resolve the whole thing. :D

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
ummm...I'd pass on both and wait for a plain jane...in fact, I got one for $125....35 rem. That is, unless you were into rehabing guns for the sake of removing a small bit of ugliness from the world! :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heck, I almost bid on it just no one else had to........Stock carving is one of those things in life that is either very nice, or just plain crappy.

I also like the ones where folks will try to checker with a ******* file, and it winds up around 8 lines per inch.........Sheesh.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
this is precisely why I have checkering tools and several rifles that STILL don't have checkering/There are some things that should not be done until your an expert! Shootrj2003

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shootrj2003 said:
this is precisely why I have checkering tools and several rifles that STILL don't have checkering/There are some things that should not be done until your an expert! Shootrj2003
Nah - If you have the right tools, no problem. It's the guys that try to work with tools totally not intended for the task that get in trouble. As to your checkering skills, get a few small pieces of walnut, draw out a simple diamond, and fill it with checkering. I tought myself how during lunch hour at work. After a few pieces of scrap, I jumped on a stock. Curved surfaces are the hardest, but go slow and you wil surprise yourself.

Shum8

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Heck buy it if it can be had cheap there is plenty of wood to work with. I do believe that fella should take up masturbation to wile away his time, it would not show amongst his peers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts