Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I befriended this guy at the gun club.Good older guy.Ex vet.Well,a while back I drop him off at his home and he invites me in to see his old gun collection.To my surprise he gives me this German Mauser K98.I thanked him but,was reluctant to take the gun.I of course am a gun lover,so I took it home,took it apart and cleaned it watching you tube.It's aged.And he has changed the stock.We took it out and shot it.It kicks like a 30 06 and is pretty accurate.Are there any suggestions anyone can give me on making this rifle a little better? Gun Trigger Machine gun Air gun Airsoft

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Presuming it's original there is nothing you can do to make it "better". Anything you do will reduce its value. Post some pics. Let's see what you got.

EDIT: Oops - Did not see pic in original post. Graphic arts people will tell you not to put images in lower right hand corners. Anyway - 8mm is like 30-06 so it should kick like one. Stock design has a lot to do with felt recoil. Do you really like this rifle? It will cost more to reduce the recoil than what most folks would put into it.

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am ok with the recoil.I just want to make it more accurate.Other than wood stock,it is all original.I wouldn't drill holes for a scope.If there was a way to mount a scope without drilling holes,I would do it.It would make the rifle more fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
well, theres a bunch of things you could do to that rifle to "make" it more accurate. But how accurate is it now?

I've been there with mausers, done it to them, and have always regretted it in the end.

The best way to increase the accuracy with that beast is to improve the ammo, (reload your own). Its $$$ to start, but if you plan on shooting it alot, it *might* be worth it.

I'd just enjoy it for what it is, a nice truck gun, with some punch to it.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
If you are comfortable doing it, or know someone who is, glass bedding the action in the stock will go a long way to improving accuracy. Many times when a stock is replaced the action is not truly mated to the wood. Be sure and use enough "release agent" or you will have a permanent one piece rifle/stock. And as was stated, if you do not reload for it buy a Lee loader and load some ammo for it. Most of the mil surplus ammo for sale has corrosive primers and is berdan primed. A nice round when properly loaded, and lives in the same neighborhood as a 30-06.
Shenandoah

·
Registered
27 Posts
yes, glass bedding these rifles does increase the accuracy. I've bedded three or so, 2 k98's and a chilean 7mm 93. Honestly, with a stock barrel, it was almost worthless. In the 7mm's case, it made the accuracy worse (some hubub about a pressure point at the end of the barrel for the mil stock). Great fun to bed a rifle, if you've got the time to kill.

And Shenandoah is right on with the milsurp corrosive ammo. I used to have some turkish 8mm surplus a long time ago that was absolute garbage, and dirty as all hell. They were almost giving it away...

If you REALLY want to get horny with it, there's aftermarket .308 barrels that used to be available for the action. Bull barrels, Hart I believe. They were milsurp from UK sniper rifle builds. My friend mounted it up to the mauser action and I shot it out at 500? I think?? Hit paper and grouped at about 5". That was with commercial ammo and no practice. If hand loaded, and practiced, and perhaps restocked, it would have been a 1000 yd possibility.

SO yeah, if you want to start finger-banging that thing and throwing money and parts at it, three years later you'll sell it when you need money for an MRI.

If you like to shoot it, keep it as is and enjoy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.