Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know much about the Georgia Arms G45LE ammo? It's a .45 Colt load with a 200 gr. Gold Dot bullet intended for personal defense (not CAS). I love the velocity and energy when fired from my Trapper (1424 fps / 901 fpe), but have found numerous examples of the ammo with significant bullet set-back after being chambered and ejected.

It would seem that the bullets are not crimped firmly enough for use in lever rifles - and I'm sure there must be plenty of other folks wishing to shoot this ammo in their lever rifles. No other factory ammo that I've used exhibits bullet set-back in my .45 Colt rifles, but this particular Georgia Arms load. Unfortunately, no other ammo maker has an offering in .45 Colt as perfectly suited to personal defense as this GA offering...

Any idea what's going on with this ammo? I sent an e-mail a few weeks ago to Georgia Arms about this issue, but have heard nothing back.

G

·
Don't know a thing about Georgia Arms, but I hate the "cowboy" stuff in 200, 225, and 250 grains...they are like caps. On the otherhand, try the PMC 45 Colt ammo. loaded with Hornady 300 grain bullets, JSP,muzzle velocity is 1250 ft/sec, at 100 yds. 1066; energy (ft./lbs) at 100 yds is 758; bullet path (inches) in yds 50 yds is 0.00; at 100 yds is -6.13. the cost of a box of 50 was $26.86 locally in PA. (These are NOT for S&W, Colt S.A.A. or replicas...additional warnings: "Use only in Colt Anaconda, Ruger or Freedom Arms Revolvers, TC Contender or Winchester Model 94").
I has enough of a kick in the 1894AE Winchester, 20 inch barrel to keep your attention and in the Ruger Bisley 45 LC, wear gloves for that middle (knuckle) finger. I haven't checked the velocity on the chronograph. but I'll bet it is close to the numbers on the box!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using Georgia Arms ammo for years and never had a problem. I currently use thir 44special and 44mag in my 1894SS and their 38 and 357 in my 1894C with no problems. Good bunch of guys, so give them a call as you may have just gotten a bad bunch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep... I let them know and they told me they hadn't been crimped enough... they sent me a new batch pronto... took VERY good care of me. Great people, great service.

I do realize now, however, that the 200 gr. Gold Dot bullet is designed to perform well at about 875-1050 fps or so and firing this ammo in the lever rifle gives way too much velocity for good bullet performance... the bullets are quite likely to over expand and underpenetrate at 1400+ fps. But it's great ammo to shoot in a .45 Colt revolver... like my model 25, which looks identical to my model 29 below.

G

·
The latest Guns & Ammo has a report on standard pressure Buffalo Bore ammo which includes a 200 grain Gold Dot that gave over 1100 fps from a 4 5/8" Ruger New Vaquero. You might check this out.

I've only bought 32 H&R ammo from Georgia Arms, and it has been outstanding. The 100 grain JHP is the fastest factory load I have ever tried. Also, this load turned in the best group from my Ruger. Spent lots of time trying to handload a duplicate, but I never could match the accuracy. GA told me what the load was, but it was a non-canister grade powder that I couldn't get.

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
When ever I hear stories about ammo problems from one manufacturer or another, it always makes me glad I got into rolling my own. I'll give you two horror stories from the late 70s. Fledgling ammo corp Federal, made a batch of .270s that some were missing the flash hole and some had primers in backwards. My brother in law didn't believe in hand loads as he was taught they didn't go off all the time (he sees me once a year for a new batch) He had a .270 single shot and he chambered a round in the am before shooting light and when that nice big buck came along at about 125yds he heard a nasty click and no bang. He chambered another and got a muffled pop. He chambered another and by now he was so rattled he missed the buck a scant 80yds away. Yup, one with the primer in backwards and the pop no flash hole. Federal sent him 4 boxes free. He sold them to buy dies so I would reload for his .270. Trust in your own and you won't be disappointed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts