Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mm93, Parley, Kaintuck, Nebhogger etc....

Finished apple harvest, got to drive my old Peterbilt with the last load down on Monday. Started harvest on around 20 August and pretty much went straight thru until 8 Nov. Feels so good to be done. Now have got to sweat out getting production loans for the 2005 crop.

My wife had a baby on 19 Oct. , a boy named Joseph Geoff who we call Little Joe for short. Joe is #4 for us and the last one so is super special. So you can see we are plenty busy around here but hope to check in fairly regularly.

Traded off an M-1 carbine and a Remington 121-S for a custom .338-06. Sorry I deviated from Marlin and lever actions.

Funny, remember my 1895 Cowboy? I tryed a Marbles tang, didn't like it so went to a Williams receiver, it was OKAY but not great. Finally in desperation went back to the factory Marbles sight that came with the rifle from Marlin and can you believe it I shoot WAY better with it. I missed the Sept. and Oct local matches but am looking forward to the one in December.

Well good to be back!

EAT LOTS OF WASHINGTON STATE APPLES AND PEARS!

GEOFF

G

·
Welcome back Geoff,

Glad to hear that your harvest was good. Whenever I eat fruit with those tiny labels & see Washington I always wonder if maybe.......(?) That being said, I must confess that right now we are stocking up with locally grown Golden Delicious apples that are outstanding this year.

Congratulations on the new baby too.

I can now relate to your having a few months of less work as I have been retired since April and am only doing a little work from here at home. Ah, computers.

And finally, sorry you deviated from Marlins. One of the wildcats I often consider is the 338-06 but this urge is under control. I am in negotiations for a NIB 1894 CL in 218 Bee but it looks like I'm going have to give up either a 45-70 or a 22-250, both Ruger No.1's, to get the Bee. If it weren't for the NRA Lever Action Silhouette program I probably wouldn't own a single levergun. Thanks NRA!

Best regards

·
Registered
719 Posts
welcome back!

:D back in the saddle again~
so you guys are getting ready for the winter up there? better get a TV this year, or #5 may be around soon! :lol: the mm93 is off this weekend w/his marlin magnet to Reno i think, and tha' hogger is hauling coal this morning, i was to go see my mom in Ky but the war dept came home sick last night, so will stay here.....i wanted to check a few gun shops in Lexington, no money, just checking!
i made a schutzen target up and thought i had a pretty good chance at winning with my vetterli(one shot, off hand, 50yds, oldest rifle you own)but then when hogger shot his italian vet, he bullseyed it....it now is over at Vall's for him to shoot.... :wink: ...winner gets the target, and ?~ we can't decide on wine or Whine :p hehehe....
over all, we are still around, still getting to many irons in the fire....working too long of hours to!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Ahh! Just like MacArthur, you have returned!
Congratulations on the new little one! I got back late last night from my semi-annual trip to the Reno gun show. Lots of neat things to see, (and buy!)

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to hear from you guys. mm93 enlighten us more on your Reno trip. Especially 2 categories. How many 1895's did you see for sale? Also you know I'm a shooter/collector. How much money do I have to save up to get an honest 1893 in .38-55 that is collectable but more importantly is very sound mechanically ready to still do considerable shooting. Amount of blueing left is not very important but everything still being original and unaltered is very important. The longer the barrel the better for me. What is the price range currently looking like for such a critter at a gun show like Reno?
Love your little Stevens! Makes me want to pick it up and send a round down range!

Steelbanger, fill us in on what you guys are doing back in Pa. What matches are you guys shooting now and how often and if you are shooting cowboy silhouette what kind of scores are winning matches in your neck of the woods. Both of our states went for Kerry. So did yours mm93. We should ALL be embarrassed! I've still got my BUSH FOR PRES sign up on the main highway. They are still counting votes for the Wa State Gov, the good guy Rossi still has a chance the first pro gun Gov for 20 years.

Kaintuck, elaborate on this match you mentioned about 1 shot from your oldest rifle. I've never heard of such thing so I need to be educated.

Hope to hear more from you all!

Geoff

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Geoff,

Congratulations with your fourth and it's good to hear from you again!! Kaintuck can fill you in about the postal match. He's also working up a post on how not to MASH the trigger! :wink: It will be soon followed by a monograph on the theraputic qualities of spagetti to the hand-eye coordination! He's also saving for a dove hunting trip to Italy!! Really! :D SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Well Geoff, unfortunately the price of ALL Marlins is going out of control! Never saw even a beater 1893 in .38-55 for under $1,000! Outrageous!
I saw quite a few model 1895's at the show, and most were very nice guns too! They all ran in the $3500 to $4500+ range! And to think I sold my 1895 takedown last year for $1500!
How's that 1881 doing? Guess you'll have some time to shoot it now!
Kaintuck has gotten the ball rolling on our little postal Schuetzen match, but it's only three shooters, and Hogger has really put the pressure on me! I'm afraid I may have to send it back without shooting, or embarass myself!

G

·
Geoff,
When November rolls around the matches here are usually done until next spring. I won't be shooting any until probably April.

Yesterday I took my 38-55 to a Cowboy Action match, believing they were having a long range (300 yd) match. Wrong. Only those single action, levergun & shotgun targets just off their muzzles! While standing about 25 yds behind the firing line I had a small fleck of bullet hit just inside my ear. No damage done but I showed my friends the piece of lead and said I was glad we all had eye protection on. Maybe I should have looked for a lawyer.

Winning scores (not mine) hereabouts usually run in the low to mid 30's for a 40 target match but at our state match in Sept. you had to be in the mid to upper 50's to win! This in a 60 round match. The CLAR was won with a National Record of 57! I believe he missed 1 turkey & 2 rams. How do these compare with scores from your matches?

This winter I'm changing my front sight arrangements to globe fronts. I've been using fiber optic fronts on my two smaller guns, 22 & 44 Mag, but next year will be using pinhead fronts inside the hood, even though my eyes have a difficult time clearing them up. I really like the fine sight because to me it seems much more precise. The fiber optics on the other hand sometimes look like they're growing AND glowing.

It's always a puzzle to me when a candidate like Kerry carries PA. Just about everyone is a gun owner here but they certainly don't vote that way. I guess they believe the bull**** scare tactics used on them.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steelbanger,

You should get a purple heart for your wound, John kerry would be asking for one for the same situation!!

As for the match situation up here, I just shoot and don't run the matches but if I understand it correctly the NRA has 2 levels of matches. Both are legal matches but it costs twice as much to be totally sanctioned where if a record is set it is recorded at NRA. We do the level where like if you get 10 straight on one animal you get a pin and a letter sent from the NRA and of course we have NRA score books so we keep track of our scores for the year.

We mix them up, cowboy silhouette small bore, pistol cartridge, and the bigger guns at the 50, 100, 150, and 200 meters. Usually shoot 2 forty round matches on one Saturday per month. In the winter we only shoot one 40 round match per month and just stick to the bigger guns for the winter.

My best score ever was in the pistol cartridge with my 1908 vintage Win 1892 .25-20 WCF when I shot a 34 and won the match. I don't win very many, believe me and I was proud of that one. I seem to shoot the pistol cartridge matches best and I love that old 1892 Winchester. I usually knock down at least 30 out of 40 with that rifle. Now the local gun store owner and retired chief of police is an incredible shooter and get this he actually shot a 38 out of 40 at the Sept match that I missed. I believe that would be a national record if we paid the amount to get it sanctioned at that level at the NRA. That guy can SHOOT!!!! I've seen him shoot many 35's and 36's.

The cowboy lever action matches are usually won with a 33 to a 35. The best I've ever done in this match is a 32 out of 40. But I think I've gotten my 1895 Cowboy sorted out enough to give them a run. I went back to the factory sights but changed the front to a 1/16" gold bead and it really suits me.

I shoot the .22 match with a well beloved Marlin 1897T and I really have affection for that little rifle as well. I used to shoot the long range silhouette with an original Marlin 1881 .40-65 but I don't like to wear that old sweetheart out with 100's of rounds. Your .38-55 sounds great. By the way, the guys that have been winning the 200 meter matches almost always use new Marlin 1894s in .357 magnum with 180 grain bullets used for the rams.

We have had as many as 30 shooters but normal is 10 to 12 but they are the diehards and pretty much any of us could come in the top 3 every match. Our conditions are pretty tough. No shelter so you have to account for the wind, sunlight etc.. We have had some good shooters come over from the Seattle area that gained new respect for shooting in our semi desert climate. One thing is for sure, I thought I knew how to shoot before I started this game and I realize now how little I knew.

What are the others guns you use or others use back there? Quite often the guys around here will use old rifles for these matches like there is one Win 1886 in .33WCF and an original Marlin 1895 .45-70 and the guy that shot that 38 out of 40 did it with a rifle very similar to mine, a Win 1892 in .25-20 made in about 1914. These old rifles sure can shoot.

Take care, I've gone on long enough!

Geoff

·
Registered
719 Posts
schutzen matches.........

this was a painted(by me) target on wood, you get ONE shot, standing, with your oldest rifle. then mail it over to the next guy!...mine was with my swiss vet....thought i was in the running, then steve did this:[/img]
using his spagetti special vet....which made him feel

now its off to vall.......were kinda like the ending of the good, bad and ugly movie, were the music is playing, and when it stops, only one can ride away? :wink: [/img]

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Well, the 2nd place guy can buy a pretty nice ride once he gets out of his 'bind'! Speaking of pretty... That IS a fetching pic!! :D Oh, that Blondie!! :p I'm going to print a copy of the sweetie and tape to the stock of whatever I shoot in the next mail match - for inspiration!! :wink: SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I got the target today, and it didn't look anything like that blonde one? All I got was the top one with the bear and the fraulein!

·
Registered
719 Posts
ahhh.....

:shock: SOMEPEOPLE think a certain short young blond is the answer to everthing...so i don't think i could paint her on a target, then get him to shoot at her! :wink: if people just knew what was taped up in some train cabs...... :roll:
so........'tuco' has started this, will 'angle eyes' let 'blondi' win this??????

the watch is running down......slowly....slowly...slower..~

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I'll do my best to stop the Italians from winning, but it's not going to be easy!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Well, I'm not shootin' my mouth off! A dedicated target Ballard with DST & a quality tang sight could easily centerpunch the bull & save the fraulein from the stinky bear! Be sure to have-a nice-a bowl spagetti before you take the doomed bear to the range!! It calm-a the nerves & steady the sights!! :wink:

Mrs Hogger was reading this thread and noticed SOMEONE sure posts a lot of pics of a certain sweetie!! :D Does SOMEONE belong to a fan club, she wondered? Well, I told her I doubted it, but I couldn't say for sure!!

"There's two kinds of people in the world; people with guns and people who dig!" The music rises in volume!!!!! :^P SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Tell her it's a picture of Kaintuck's wife, and he's so proud he wants to show her off!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I believe I better wander over & see what's buried in Arch Stanton's grave! :shock:

The three shooters eye each other warily. Perspiration begins to bead on foreheads! Trigger fingers twitch! Hands move ever so slowly toward finely-honed pistols! How will it end??? The music increases in tempo! SW

·
Registered
719 Posts

wwwaaaaahhhh~ wahhh~ waaahhhhhhhhhhh............ :p

el brutto......

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
NebrHogger said:
I believe I better wander over & see what's buried in Arch Stanton's grave! SW
You know the location? Hmmm. My name is no body....

Regards.

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Doc,

Well, 'Tuco' knows, and he'll give it up! :p He'd trade the information for a pile of pics of a 'certain' sweet young thing and some fan club credentials! :D

I did over 4 years research on a real-deal buried treasure. I sent to the National Archives for some records on microfilm, and pestered certain museums & historical scoieties for YEARS about it. I'm 75% sure it actually happened & the coins are still buried there. A close friend & I finally went to the place. - A canyon in Wyo - with shovels & metal detectors in hand. The enormity of the project really smacked me in the face! The canyon is about 8 miles long & a half mile wide. The loot - a 'jacked' army payroll - is supposed to be buried near a spring by a cave. Well, there are springs (plural) and caves (plural). Heck, if I knew within a half mile where it was, it would still be a five year project. Full time! :shock:

To make a long story short, I know for sure there are 3 or 4 places the treasure is not located. My friend was not feeling well, so we left. He passed away a couple months after that and I kinda lost interest in the whole thing. Maybe one of these years, I'll get an elk permit in that area and wander around there a little more.

It would be handy to have a pal along. And two guns - only one of which would be loaded. And a shovel. ONE shovel!! :p I'd split the loot, though! REALLY!! :wink: SW

1 - 20 of 29 Posts