Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seldom have much interest in refinished guns, preferring an honest representation in decent shape. Once in a while, I do bite. Below my Model 1893 Marlin Deluxe, 38-55, vintage 1897. / Sneaking in quickie of a 'Bro' refinish, Win 1894, Extra Lightweight Rifle, 30-30, vintage 1903. Both are take-down models with mechanisms yet 'tight'. 'Both impulse purchases some decades ago (not together). Neither qualifying as "restorations" principally due to heavy handed polishing.

Occasionally... Just a 'pretty face', is nice!
My take

Attachments

·
Banned
16,333 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Answers! Sight installed backwards??? No idea. Err... Wait, wait! Think I know. This is the one and only rare Annie Oakley model, where she shot over her shoulder with mirror. And to be yours... for a mere £600,000! :)

"Hang tags"... Not! And "MarlinManCB4570" is the winner! - Unique personal gun inventory number on reverse side. Tied to XL spreadsheet line data per gun and related series of file photos for each gun. Protocol, only first photo in each gun-series with number showing. Other 'to share' photos, tag 'other side'. Originally part of insurance/estate plan. Later to realize valuable 'armchair blog' context!

Laptop-portable photos of personal assets of value (including home), with micro-drive backup stored separately, a valuable asset itself.
My take

·
Registered
76 Posts
Those look amazing. Really digging the wood of the one with the tang peepsight. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use? Just hand rubbing or was it more than just a dry rag? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Last year I bought a 1889 Marlin in 38-40 some one had reblued it and put new wood on it and its a pleasure to shoot and you don't worry about being a collecters gun, you just shoot it and enjoy...The old gun is pretty accurate...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the top...

Those look amazing. Really digging the wood of the one with the tang peepsight. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use? Just hand rubbing or was it more than just a dry rag? Thanks - Actually, nothing. The way it came from the shop in the eighties. Just a pretty stable atmospheric environment. Wipe down of metal with oil during annual "Cleaning Fest".

agree with the whole refurbished gun thing. But if it is done well, it can be hard to resist a “new” old firearm! Something of visual impact, residual 'health' and price-point. Still, my 'refurbs' about to count on one hand. And Macoz... Speaking of 'backwards 'things', Your: "Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze." If that's from Planned Parenthood, you have it backwards! :) :) :) Sorry, my arcane sense of humor and with that straight line like that...!

Last year I bought a 1889 Marlin in 38-40 some one had reblued it and put new wood on it and its a pleasure to shoot and you don't worry about being a collecters gun, you just shoot it and enjoy...The old gun is pretty accurate...
Totally Agree! Just a nice old gun that can be taken afield to enjoy without particular concern for damage... Something of a happy comfort like an old friend!​

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I prefer honest wear to refinished guns. A lot of them end up this way because someone gets a hair to have Grandpa's old gun
refinished for sentimental reasons. Then gen X gets them and burns a trail to the pawn shop to cash them in. I have taken off
hi gloss finishes to redo with something more pleasing. I am guilty of this myself, I put high gloss finish on 1897 Win stock that
should have been left as is. If a gun is good mechanical and good bore I'm inclined to buy it and put the retro on it. Only at prices
that reflect refinishes, less than a honest shooter.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Those are some pretty takedowns. I do something similar using an app that stores all the gun photos and accessories so I always have a log with me. I don’t put hang tags because all of them get shot too much to be worth taking tags on and off. Lol. Well most of them at least.

I dont really have collectors guns or guns Guns where I worry about resale, I like to customize and refinish Guns so they look as good as they shoot. Only one I haven’t is my FILs winny 1894 but that’s for sentimental reasons.

On an unrelated off topic note. Would you happen to be of Slavic origin (I would guess Ukrainian but could be Russian)? I only ask because of your screen name.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About refinishing. If a gun's really bad and saying that, a lot worse than just 'no finish', but ugly as well, perhaps better breathe some new life. But too often viewing the highly buffed, bright blue with most nomenclature gone... Not to my liking. Here, a couple of guns that spoke to me. Both deluxe versions and at decent prices. I'm also with a 1917 DWM Artillery Luger and 1896 Bolo Mauser handguns. Purchased at same time from same shop. Also 'redos', but wow, nice! Professionally restored. Makes a difference when at least professional. For what they are; outstanding. From an estate on consignment with orders to "move them out." Lucky me!

lukianoj Re: iskra; from Russian "Spark". Myself not Slavic, a nickname as I worked in Russia & Ukraine within the decade following collapse of the USSR. US State Dept programs, assigned to work with their National police agencies. In Ukraine, a 'best buddy' colonel of police gave me the nickname. That as discovering we'd both worked signals-intelligence in the military decades earlier. Opposite sides of course! :) Are you from Ukraine? L'viv is a favorite city!
Thanks to all who've made this an interesting thread and...
My take

·
Registered
483 Posts
Both sides of my family are from Ukraine. Grew up speaking it (actually learned English second). Spent some time over there. Have a lot of family in l’viv as well as up in the Carpathian Mountains. Haven’t been back since I was 18, really need to make the effort one of these days.

I hate to say this but my beagle as a child was named iskra, lol. If it makes you feel any better seeing the name brought back fond memories.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well, I'd prefer an original gun ... But when I don't have that particular model, I'll take what I can find. And of course, I tell myself I will sell it when I find a more original replacement.

Some are just to hard too come across to wait for the pleasure of shooting that particular model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.