Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,

Nice to find many from the old Marlin Talk here.. I wish we could get more of the ol' crowd but that is for another post,

The query I have is a 240g Jacketed load for general practice / shooting and if need be hunting / defence. I have a 240g hunting load all worked up and tested setting atop a max charge of H110. I just do not need all that 'octane' for most situations. I have tried cast 240g bullets and if I size and tweak for the individual firearm I can get a VERY good load indeed. The problem is I have three 44mag rifles and two 44mag pistols. I have been unable to get a cast load all of them like.

I can purchase locally for me in bulk 240g jacket for $0.07 or less each. This is a generic but it shoots good to very good out of all the 44 mags I load for. I am thinking to try and come up with a mid to a slightly mid plus loading for this bullet that would work in all the 44's. From the rifles I would be looking for 1300 fps apx. and I figure from the Ruger SBH with a 4 5/8 inch barrel I would be 900 to 1000 fps.

If such a load shot well I could use it for General purpose and within 50 yards would do for whitetails it pressed to duty and also serve as a good defensive round.

I know abit long winded but any thoughts and first hand results along these lines?

G

·
Sounds like a good job for the old standby, Unique, or Power Pistol.

I run 8 of Power Pistol and a 240 to 1200 in the marlin and it'll light matches at 50 yards. The primer sign is mild, so it'd easily push to 1300+ if ya wanted to.

That's all I got in MILD .44 rifle loads. I'd hazard the Unique charts that show 1000fps out of a revolver would put ya there without going to the slow powders at light loadings. Maybe in the 9 to 9.5 grain area. Check Alliant for numbers.

As a comparison, in .45 Colt 10.5 unique runs 1375 with a 250 out of a 24 inch marlin, and will reliably hit steel at 300 yards, and it is 1.5 inches at 100 with a peep sight and small aperture. The same load will run 1100 and change out of a 7.5 inch BH

·
Registered
88 Posts
Pick I was just going to tell you of the load that has worked the best in all the 44mag I have ever had. Adironnack-Jack beat me to it. Well sort of. 8gr of Unique. I have always used cast bullets of 240gr. to 250gr. Out of a rifel then go 1200fps+ it's been a long time the last time I checked. I have tryed more and less but 8gr of Unique is hard to beat. I have never tryed this load with jacked bullets but I bet it will woak fine. >Tombstone

1 - 3 of 3 Posts