Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Too much caffeine? Picked on at school? Big gun envy? LSD flashback? Withdrawals? Woman? Dog ran off? unpaid bills? Trust fund took away? wanting attention? ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Alkpon, you've been here since December 09' so you're not new nor are you an old hand here. I understand that there is a lot of meaningless dribble hammered out here (of which I contribute to) but from my perspective this site asks questions, explanations are provided, some bragging and sharing happens and we try to respect each other. Were you referring to MarlinOwners specifically or are you talking about other forums?

I for one enjoy the heck out of this site, think of the members as family and hope that you elaborate on your commentary so we know clearly where you stand. You know, are you gunna be the red-headed step child or my favorite cousin. ;D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have no complaints with Marlin Owners whatsoever. Really don"t need anyone critesizing this forum out of bordom or looking for attention. Try clicking on post that interest you, and leave the rest alone.

riflerick

·
Banned
94 Posts
While reading posts on this site I sometimes wonder about the need some have to just talk. I use the forums to learn as much as I can about the Marlin levergun platform and how to fix problems. Other's experience with the rifle has saved me time and frustration. I've spent many years carrying firearms to make a living but I have realized there is a lot I don't know about certain firearms. Enough said--Thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
593 Posts
I enjoy this forum and the people on it. They, for the most part, are very respectful of each other and their opinions. It sounds like you need to read something else if you don't enjoy this. This is the great thing about this and all other forums, you don't have to read them if you don't want to but who the hell gave you the right to poopoo on something other people enjoy when it doesn't invade your space at all. It is kinda like gathering together around the old pot bellied stove and sharing stories and asking questions. There are people from every age group here and we all learn from each other and just enjoy the company.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Being new to this site I'm slowly learning about other members comments, likes and dislikes and knowledge on any subject matter at hand. As has already been voiced, I've found that everyone is very helpful and behave as adults. Sure, there will be the odd bad day, we all have them at one time or another and that's what I wrote the OP's post off as. But when I went on to another section of the board I happened to run across a couple more postings by the OP and it was more of the same type of negative comments. Out of curiosity I went to read more of the OP's postings and to me, it seems as if he just doesn't like gun owners.
I hope that all is well with the OP, times are certainly tough for everyone right now.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
The questions asked come from folks of varied back-ground and experience levels. Some times you end up scratching your head after reading one wondering, this person doesn`t have a clue but where they are coming from, it`s legit.
Forums like this, certainly help beginner and more experienced alike. That being said, the most bother some are the ones that keep getting asked over and over and over! It never ends.

·
Registered
549 Posts
lol, I know what you mean. On most gun boards they run along the lines of; "Which is better, the AK47 or the AR15?" And my favorite; "Which is better, the 1911 or a Glock?" If only I could count that high. :D

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
MOUNTAIN WILLIAM said:
lol, I know what you mean. On most gun boards they run along the lines of; "Which is better, the AK47 or the AR15?" And my favorite; "Which is better, the 1911 or a Glock?" If only I could count that high. :D
Or go to the AK outdoors forum and the biggie is which handgun is best for bear defense. It comes up again and again. I really don't mind because it gives me the chance to work on my mild case of Obsessive-compulsive disorder. I can choose to "leave it" just like I would yell at my dog whenever he saw a dead salmon on the beach and had the overpowering urge to roll in it. ;D Newsflash! We simply don't HAVE to read every single post guys! It is only bandwidth, and storage on some server, and if we never rehashed anything, these boards would sooner or later die off because everything gets repeated one time or another..

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Alkpon said:
So many forums.......so much BS.

Edited by Dave. Please take the hint.
Bummer, I missed the original post, but it sounds like it was rather interesting. Lots of folks come on here just to incite controversy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Halwg said:
Bummer, I missed the original post, but it sounds like it was rather interesting. Lots of folks come on here just to incite controversy.
Don't worry... you didn't miss much. The OP's goal was achieved given the number of responses.

Concerning the number of times the same question is asked... I take it as a healthy sign for the hobby. It shows that there is constant influx of new people learning and asking the basic questions and that is keeping the shooting sports healthy. It also shows that a lot of people who have been shooting for some time are growing within the hobby and learning new things.

Or it could just be a lot of people with bad memories. ;D

I try to use the search function before posting a new question... but it doesn't always work... or I am sitting at the bench with a hand full of gun parts AND JUST HAVE TO KNOW NOW how to put things back together.

I just want to say that this is a terrific site made up of super people who have helped me a lot. Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Here's the deal on why I think a question is asked so many times. Let's take the infamous "Date of Manufacture" that is something a lot of folks want to know when they get a gun. So they do a search and it leads them to this site. Not being here before, they ask the question...I have an older Marlin 336 with a gold trigger, how can I find out when it was made? Well, that is a legitimate question that has been asked thousands of times. If I'm the first to answer, I tell them how to do it, and then point them to the reference section.

I know I found this site because I was looking for information on how to disassemble my 2 336's to refinish them. The folks here helped me out, pointed me in the right direction and I've been here ever since. Probably the way many of us have found this site.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
You're excactly right Hal, I came here for the same information you did and have stuck around because of the good folks here, OP notwithstanding.

Besides, I think most of us are here to discuss all this "BS"!

Looks like the mods have been having to follow the OP around for the last day or so, sweeping up HIS BAN ME in the rimfire forum... :-\

·
Registered
81 Posts
I saw this guy on another part of Marlin Forum. He needs to find another place to play. This is likely the best firearms related forum there is and if it not at least the members are good folks of all backgrounds. Most here like to have a little fun along with the gun talk just like friends would.
Keith

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I really don't mind reading threads about the same old questions and answers. Someone out there might have a different take on a subject that I might not have yet considered.

For me with my poor memory, it's kind of a good thing that the same ol' gets posted time and again. I look at it like I'm reading something new every day! :p

I am registered to many forums, guns as well as cars. My favorite reply to any automotive electrical issue is, "Did you check the fuse?"

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Many times, like others have already said, the "same old questions" bring up different viewpoints, newer information, or just another way to skin a cat. It is good to get a refresher course in things I thought I already knew about from time to time. Unfortunate that some seem to know everything already, have nothing constructive to add to a thread, or are sarcastic to the point of ridicule, but what the heck... Whatever makes somebodies putter flutter.

As far as this forum goes, I thought it was the Marlin Rant, not the Marlin Owners Forum Rant.

Some folks are about as subtle as stirring the lagoon with an 1-1/4" x 8" stick or two. Lord knows, I have stirred a pot or two, but seriously? Temper the sarcasm, or risk loosing credibility.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
It's cool and raining outside in my neck of the woods. ;D

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Halwg said:
When I find them you might as well stick a fork in em as they are done.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Halwg said:
It wasn't interesting, just obnoxious. ::)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts