Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on purchaseing an XG 10,000 watt Generac Generator next week from HOME DEPOT an want to know if anyone has any experience with this product.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Generac is a good generator. There is a contractor in the area and that's all he installs. I herd nothing but good feedback on them. I work with a guy that hooked his up on propane which makes good since to me. He's idea is that propane doesn't go bad like gas and when you need it so does everybody else and gas shortages can happen at crucial times. He set a 500 gal tank and filled it up during summer when it was actually cheaper per gal than gas. That's the route I'm taking if and when I install one. You might check out the propane models.

·
Super Moderator
13,979 Posts
It will be loud as most are. Honda is much better for being quiet but will cost double what most do. The thing I would look for is the brand of the motor like Briggs and Stratton vs say one that you have not heard of. I don't have electric start on mine but mine is smaller so that could be a feature to consider on a large generator. Make sure and watch your oil levels when running for a long time and keep clean oil in it and you should not have any issues with any of them normally. I know mine said to change the oil the first time after just a few hours. If you are just going to use it at the house as back up I think you will be fine. For camping where other people are near by you need to look for a Honda or another model that is quiet.

·
Super Moderator
13,979 Posts
Is it to hook up full time to your home? If that is the case then like JEB said a different fuel like LP would be better than gasoline for sure. If portable then gas would be they way to go.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have had a generac 15 kW propane generator for almost 10 years and it's the best investment I have ever made. All I've ever done is regular maintenance and have not any problems. Matter of fact I just changed the spark plugs for the first time last weekend just because it had been 9 years. It starts itself once a week for 13 min and goes back to standby. It has never failed to start when regular power goes out which happens a lot up here in north country. Lol

Alan

·
Premium Member
6,591 Posts
Generac is a very good model for home use I would go with a lp/ng capable one over gas if that is what you are using it for.
For portable there are much lighter less expensive models to go with honda is good as well as Champions.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just an emergency backup. I've been through superstorm Sandy back on Long Island and ran my older smaller gen for 2 weeks straight. That was a 3700 watt coleman. Ran like a Champ. Here in Tarpon Springs every thing in my house is electic so that's why I'me getting the 10K unit.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,535 Posts
I spoke with a Florida Gas exec. I met and he told me that through all the hurricanes their service was NEVER interrupted. Natural gas never goes sour. AC

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I figured it was a whole house backup since it was 10k. That's a lot for camping not to mention BIG physically Are you considering gasoline or lp/ng.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gas. The XG 10000 is rated peak at 12500. Since I'me in a gated community , Portable stored in my garage is the way to go. This gated community stuff is a PIA, However the place is comfortable.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Problems with the big generators is when you need them you can't buy Gas to run them. When the hurricanes hit A few years ago I had A heck of A time keeping my 5000 wat going. My neighbor sold his big generator before we got our power back ( About 2 weeks here) Could not get or afford gas for it. Keep A small one handy. May be all you can use. Neighbor was spending $75 per day once the gas stations got back up!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep 5 Gals in a safe container, 30 gals in PickUp, 15 gals in wifes car. Should keep me goin for a while. Run it daytime and shut it down nights. May be I'll keep my 3700 watt too!

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Do you plan to wire in a transfer switch?

I have a 6500watt that have used for several years. My outages are mostly in winter. It runs a everything but water heater and heat pump. I have Wood fire place insert with blower plus propane buddy heater that I can get buy with. We do pretty good till we start needing hot water. The longest I've been out of power was 7 days. Had to get the Turkey cooker out and boil water for baths.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed a 208 volt 50 amp double breaker and a 50 amp box with male receptacle, Twist on. Will kill main 200 amp breaker and backfeed power through 50 amp receptacle. Can pick and choose what I want to run.

·
Super Moderator
13,979 Posts
I can tell you from living here in Florida for 55 years it gets hard to sleep at night in August with no fan and 100% humidity in 90 degree thick air. :biggrin: Those 2004 storms we went through were the worst as every time things got repaired another one came and we started over again. Those were not that big in size for Hurricanes but there were 4 of them. Also you need to get a heavy chain and lock because even in a gated community the generators start getting stolen after the storms. They were stealing them while they were running in 2004.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll just chain that sucker to the front push bar on my pick up. That'll slow em down long enough to put the critter out of order!

Reactions: Golphin

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Last power outage I went through I had my portable generator locked up with a cryptonite bicycle cable with the inline combo lock on it. The thieves chewed heck out of that cable and all it did was flatten out a bit. The lock was too big for the bolt cutters. I've been sold on those ever since.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I installed a 208 volt 50 amp double breaker and a 50 amp box with male receptacle, Twist on. Will kill main 200 amp breaker and backfeed power through 50 amp receptacle. Can pick and choose what I want to run.
That's how I do it too. Those transfer switches are pricey. I wouldn't mess with one unless it was a stand alone whole house unit.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have a GE 17Kw Generator runs the whole house. It's too big to steal it and it's mounted
and bolted to a concrete slab. When the power goes off for more than 30 seconds it comes
on. This way flickering doesn't set it off.
It runs on propane and it runs once a week with no load to keep the engine oiled and
running properly.

The biggest problem with it was the install.
There is a LOT they don't tell you about. You have to buy the generator then you
have to pay for installation which is going to cost at least as much as the generator.
Then at least in my State you have to prep the site which involves digging down
at least 24" this is pretty tough in the area I live in as it's mostly ledge.
If you can do some of the work it'll save you a lot.

Then you have to contract with a propane company. Some will charge you a monthly
fee some will not, plus if you are only running the generator you will pay a higher
fee and unlike oil, you have to deal with the company who owns the tank.
I have a 500 gallon tank and they will only fill it to 80% because of expansion.

There is a lot to it although the code in some states is easier than NH.
Vermont allows them to lay the propane hose right on the uncovered ground.
No 24-36" deep trench which we needed an excavator for.

It's worth having, just be aware of the hidden costs. Oh and the company
wants $250 for a yearly checkup and oil change to keep the warranty valid.

We tried a local shop but they were jerks so we went with a Home Depot
vendor and they did a great job. Plus we have a remote that tells you if the unit
is working ok or not.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.