Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had the Generac installed the company also wanted a yearly tune-up for the seven year warranty that came with it. Sad thing they charge $365 to come out and do that! I declined it!
Tin Can Repairs and Service has the ability to do it also if not better! :cool::cool::cool:
Pictures!
Plant Waste containment Waste container Gas Herbaceous plant

Plant Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior

Handwriting Wood Rectangle Font Writing

Kit I bought of Amazon!
Light Plant Wood Audio equipment Publication

Draining the two quarts of oil.
Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grass Tire

Oil filter removal, could have a better designed. Spilled oil after unscrewing filter!
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Trunk

Plugs was clean, still must change them!
Hand Gesture Finger Automotive tire Thumb
Finger Plant Thumb Nail Nickel

Just like Air Filter, not dirty!
Wood Plant Font Gas Handwriting

Reset service requirement on computer and were good for one more year!
Generator runs off natural gas, very clean fuel!
Ran generator afterwards............. 馃榿馃榿馃榿
It was 98掳 when I started! Hot!

Registered
An oil filter position copied by many car and truck manufacturers. Pull the filter and half the contents spill onto the frame and everything else. You vehicle shows oil dripping for 2-3 days after.

And, you were smart to perform that yourself. The dufuss they would have sent likely would have crossthreaded the plugs and installed the air filter backwards. 馃檮

Registered
I鈥檝e been seriously thinking about a Genny like yours after your post a couple month ago. No NG where we are, we鈥檇 have to get propane. However, it could be to cold here for propane. -20掳F is possible. Have you needed to run it yet?

As a design engineer, it is always particularly irksome to have such poorly designed maintenance accessibility. I鈥檝e always said, engineers should be forced to work on and maintain what they design. And it definitely shouldn鈥檛 require specialty tools!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I鈥檝e been seriously thinking about a Genny like yours after your post a couple month ago. No NG where we are, we鈥檇 have to get propane. However, it could be to cold here for propane. -20掳F is possible. Have you needed to run it yet?

As a design engineer, it is always particularly irksome to have such poorly designed maintenance accessibility. I鈥檝e always said, engineers should be forced to work on and maintain what they design. And it definitely shouldn鈥檛 require specialty tools!
It runs five minutes every Tuesday! Beside that it ran a couple times when a transformer exploded down the road from us! It has performed very well! The AC is on a half-hour timer, before it will run again. It is just making sure everything is normal.
As for propane and coldness? Propane will burn you if your not careful. Cold burn!

Registered
It sure doesn't take a rocket scientist or an engineer to change oil and a spark plug!

Reactions: Kendawg

Registered
Cajun, Do they honor the warrantee if they don't do the maintenance?

A customer of mine has a big Kohler generator. I was there one time when they were doing maintenance. The "used" oil looked new. Same with everything else. Had something like 5 hours on the clock. Kinda ridiculous.

Registered

A customer of mine has a big Kohler generator. I was there one time when they were doing maintenance. The "used" oil looked new. Same with everything else. Had something like 5 hours on the clock. Kinda ridiculous.
I have read that Generac can be difficult to deal with if the unit wasn鈥檛 serviced by an authorized service dealer. I would document everything with receipts and pictures if I did my own maintenance.

Registered

I would think the propane tank would be installed under ground where it would be much warmer. You would probably require a heater in the generator enclosure.

Registered

Oil is the lifeblood of an engine. Dirt, heat, water and time are the enemies of oil.

It is not just hours/miles of runtime on the clock, but the time oil has been sitting in the engine sump.

Oil deteriorates overtime and turns to varnish. Varnish makes engine parts stick together, the opposite of oil. Heat and time also cause oil to become very acidic. Acid pitting and etching actually cause the most damage to engine parts. A basic rule of thumb, every 19掳 increase in oil temperature doubles the acids in the oil.

Water accumulates in the oil through condensation. Heating and cooling throughout the day/night cycles causes condensation. Water is not slippery and on a molecular level it changes oil to not be oil anymore.

Spark plugs can become corroded by condensation and no longer spark or crack ceramic insulators. Air filters deteriorate over time and can be plugged by rodents and insects.

This is some of the reasons why maintenance schedules say, runtimes/miles/months, which ever comes first.

Registered

I run on propane, with a Generac BUT NOT -20, so I don't know how that would be
but my Generac works great
I don't service it as they say ! I mean it runs 15 min every week, I don't see it using up spark plugs often or needing air filters
I try and change the oil once every year or 2, only because of moister building up in the Mobil 1, I let the Generac run for a few hours to cook off H20

Registered
I run on propane, with a Generac BUT NOT -20, so I don't know how that would be
but my Generac works great
I don't service it as they say ! I mean it runs 15 min every week, I don't see it using up spark plugs often or needing air filters
I try and change the oil once every year or 2, only because of moister building up in the Mobil 1, I let the Generac run for a few hours to cook off H20
As an engineer I was explaining reasons why there are maintenance schedules. Your air filter and spark plugs may last 50 years only running a few minutes a week. Maintenance schedules are there to get you to at least check things on a regular basis.

Synthetic oils are much better in lubrication and longevity than oils of the last century. Maintenance schedules are basic guidelines. Manufacturers can鈥檛 cover every microclimate in the country. Some people go longer than recommended intervals some people less. Your mileage may vary.

The southeast gets high humidity most of the year. The Northeast, like Maine where I am originally from, gets high humidity and extreme temperature swings -20 in winter is common and I have seen -50掳.

Arizona, where I now live, can have temperatures in excess of 120掳 to -20掳. Most of the time it鈥檚 a dry heat but it has rained nearly every day for two months. Rodent and insect damage is a constant issue from the desert to the high country.

Liquid propane turns to a gas (boils) at -52掳F. That means inside the tank it can get close to -52掳 and little to no gas being formed. (This is why ice forms on a propane tank when it鈥檚 fairly warm out.) Natural gas has a much lower boiling point but it is unavailable where I am.

If I need my generator at -20掳 and I am running it heavy with other appliances, the temperatures inside the propane tank may not be high enough to keep a 鈥渉ead of steam鈥 and the generator can fuel starve. I have experienced exactly this more times than I would鈥檝e liked living in Maine. In my old age I definitely don鈥檛 want to breakdown or lose fuel in the middle of winter when I need it the most.

Registered
I worked in a refinery for 29 years, we were told propane boils (vaporizes) at -44F. But that would be at normal atmospheric pressure, not the increased pressure inside a steel tank. At the higher pressure inside the tank, which could be 100-200 psi the propane could easily be a liquid at 80-90F. As you lower the pressure on the propane tank by running your generator, some of the propane vaporizes to replace what has been used. This process does cool the remaining liquid propane somewhat.

Registered
I worked in a refinery for 29 years, we were told propane boils (vaporizes) at -44F. But that would be at normal atmospheric pressure, not the increased pressure inside a steel tank. At the higher pressure inside the tank, which could be 100-200 psi the propane could easily be a liquid at 80-90F. As you lower the pressure on the propane tank by running your generator, some of the propane vaporizes to replace what has been used. This process does cool the remaining liquid propane somewhat.
Well, I definitely won鈥檛 pretend I know more about it than you do, but -50掳 -52掳 or -44掳 is kinda semantics.

What I do know, is from real life. It was more than routine at one place we lived in Maine to lose propane at -22掳(-35掳 at another place). Not enough pressure to even keep a pilot light lit on a water heater. We changed regulators three times. 80,000 BTU kerosene salamander blasting the tank, we could run the water heater. 10 minutes after shutting it off, nothing.

2018 elk hunt in Arizona near Flagstaff, temperatures below zero. 1 lb green Coleman tanks could not keep up with the Lttle buddy heaters. They鈥檇 go out after 20 minutes. Camp-chef oven/stove on the 7 lbs(?) tank couldn鈥檛 heat water for coffee. Two burners would not stay lit at the same time.

Heating water on a wood stove for months to bathe and do dishes is not something I or my wife will forget. Call us gun shy I guess.

If burying tanks underground is the solution, I鈥檓 good with that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts