Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4,035 Posts
Damn.........what a waste :x I wonder if it could be somewhat returned to normal? What a shame!! It's not worth 99.99 like that. I just got a real nice 39A...probably 98% for 300.

· Registered
1,105 Posts
What a crock of $#it. I can’t believe anyone would even think of buying such a rifle, because if the owner can’t be bothered to get the thing sorted out properly, then what else is wrong with it??????
Who the f*** varnished the stock? Did they use a garden broom to put the stuff on with? :shock:
Geeze I cannot believe anyone would treat a gun like this.
I bought my 39a for £95.00 which is @ $185.00 and that is in much better condition than that piece of junk.
Some people just shouldn’t be allowed to own nice things. :roll:

· Registered
470 Posts
That's a damn shame! What a butcher job! However, there may still be some life left in that little 39A yet. If the thumb screw and carrier screw is all that is wrong (aside from the finish) that can be an easy and fairly inexpensive repair. The thumb screw is readily available but finding a carrier screw would be the trick. These aren't easy to come by. The stock can be easily refinished and brought back to life with a little TLC and some tung oil. You'd have to actually see the thing to know what else might be wrong, and there is probably a lot that is wrong. The price is certainly waaaay too high. I just bought my second 39A (39AS) that included a Marbles tang sight for only $345 and it was for all practical purposes brand new. If the guy would knock-off a $100 I might consider it as a "project" gun. Yeah, like I need another one of those!

My first 39A was a pawn shop find. It was made in 1957 and it looked a little rough. It had been shot so much that the gold had been worn off the trigger. It had a small problem in that the lever wouldn't stay up after a round was chambered but a quick trip to Numrich and a new $2.70 spring fixed that problem. That little 39A turned-out to be a great investment for only $105. Under all that dust a dirt was a beautiful little rifle that still shoots GREAT!

· Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mojo^ said:
My first 39A was a pawn shop find. It was made in 1957 and it looked a little rough. That little 39A turned-out to be a great investment for only $105. Under all that dust a dirt was a beautiful little rifle that still shoots GREAT!
A few years back, I had a buddy call and ask if I had been to one of the local gun shops lately - I said not lately. He told me I needed to head that way, they had a used 39A on the rack. Dropped everything and went straight over - it was an Article II 39A like new (no box) for 250. Couldn't turn that one down.

As for the 39A with the Frankenstein takedown screw, I would almost be tempted to see how cheap I could get it and see just what it needed.

· Registered
1,344 Posts
I see it's been re-listed now- the first auction expired with no bids. Heads-up for deal mongerers! :D

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

· Registered
20,288 Posts
I would bid 75 . maybe.. ........... NAH.. if you couldn't fix it up. everyone that saw it would laugh at you.

· Registered
2,972 Posts
Misdirection anyone? :shock: Everybody seems to be concerned with that very ugly nut and bolt, and the screw on the right side. Even the finish on the stock. :eek: Has anybody noticed what looks like very heavy pitting on the forward right side of the receiver? :oops: THAT is probably not repairable. :cry: The other stuff could be dealt with, in a $50.00 rifle. But not that pitting. :wink:

It's too bad. It could even turn out to be a good shooter!! 8)

· Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw all the crud on the receiver, and still can't tell if it's pitting or remnants of the idiot's refinish job that spilled over to the receiver.

I keep an email address folder just for stuff like this - we try to see who can find the biggest idiot selling guns. It's a hoot.

I might see if he'll take 75 bucks and offer a 3 day inspection..... :wink:

· Registered
2,972 Posts
Sorry, didn't catch my mistake first time around. :oops: Should have said "pitting on the forward LEFT side of the receiver."

Sure looks like pitting on the image I get from the link! Particularly between the receiver sight base and the screw head just to its left. :cry:

· Registered
4,035 Posts
I'll bet there's a rifle under there someplace. Clearly, tho, the seller is WAY too proud of it. I'd take it on for maybe 75 bucks as a charity project. Might make a nice truck gun.

· Registered
130 Posts
You can't tell from the photo, but it is possible that all it needs is a takedown screw.....that is if the screw used is the same thread size.

Not knowing one way or the other, I wouldn't take the chance on a bid....but, I might if the price was fifty bucks, and I was desperate!

Even if the threads are screwed up, it could be repaired.

hog

· Registered
262 Posts
Not everybody sees guns like we do.To most they are just THINGS. If you look at it logically, you will see why NICE old rifles have such a high price. I bought every 92,97 and 39 I could find for years and came up with some winners,it seems that the early guys appreciated them much more than todays buyer. We have become a society that wastes more than we save. Money flows these days in floods rather than trickles.Folks bitching about the price of gas,then turn around and buy a pint of WATER for 5 times the price of gas. Times are changing,for the worse I'm afraid. It is up to you young fellers to get us back on the right track.Us old guys screwed it up but are too tired to fight it,SOooo get busy. :wink:

· Registered
470 Posts
Well, I went out on a limb after the third time it didn't sell and offered the guy $120 including shipping for the butcher job rifle. The most he would come down was to $175. I guess he's proud of that rifle. It's up on Gunbroker again and his opening bid is still at $199. Sooner or later he'll find the right sucker.

· Premium Member
176 Posts
Been watching this one too. The guy has a pawn shop so he probably won't come down much if any from the $175. Probably thinks he has too much in it already :lol: . If he has a pretty good stock/selection of used firearms, he can afford to keep it on the shelf until a sucker (errr- buyer) comes along. Appears to be a nut on that replacement screw, and if so, the threads in the receiver may be damaged enough to make replacement difficult :? . If I could see it in person, might be worth a rebuild :roll: .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.