Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all have been great with all my questions and advice! I've got three loads of 405 gr Lasercast HC to choose from: 25.0 gr of 2400 , 36.5 and 38.5 grains of IMR4198. I have not yet tested the IMR loads. During the night and early morning I have her equipped with green light below from Elusive Wildlife Technologies. This green light illuminates about 200 yards and does not spook the animals. The red fire dot shows up real well in the dark with the green light provides enough illumination; I think.

A friend is taking out to his land lease on April 11 & 12th. Hoping to get two piggies lined up just right. I hope to have photos to share real soon!

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Nice set up! That'll definitely do the trick

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! This is their "Kill Light". It also can be purchased with red, blue or white LED's.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
That's a Great rig for night "Smokin" Bacon!!! :eating: :biggrin:

I wish you the Best of Luck with it...

Don't forget pics Pics PICS! :biggrin:

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Looks great! I like the idea of the green light..I'm getting my rig ready as well, but I'm thinking it will be a 35Rem first time out...16"bbl, all weather stocks. You going to see okay with that scope? I'm thinking I'd rather keep the peep sights on it for low light.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maxer: I've used that Kill Light and it illuminates the woods great but I'll have to see how well the VX-R Hog can do.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wish you luck on your hunt. I would take a trip to the range try all three loads and see which on shoots best. Then select that one load and down you first hog

·
Registered
255 Posts
Have you put that light on something and looked through the scope? The light looks like it's not in line with the barrel. At 100yards they should line up. Center beam with cross hairs.
Your red dot and green light will look like a Christmas tree ;-) Very cool set up!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Kwesi good luck on your hog hunt and don't forget about the 1895 owners here who are waiting for the final update. eh

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Like you I use a Leupold scoped short barreled 45-70 levergun for hogs.
My last hog was shot with a Guide Gun and the 430 grain HSM ammo.
Your gun looks like a good early morning late evening rig.
Wonder how it works with deer?
If your jurisdiction allows nite hog hunting you have the perfect set-up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
let me know how it does. mine hasn't made it out to hunt yet. still getting loads done and such. your scope looks a little too far back maybe? i ran a bunch of 405gr through mine no prob, but when i put the HSM 430gr bear loads in and didn't hold it right, the scope smacked me in my glasses.

otherwise, awesome setup, and looking forward to reviews. i'm up to almost 200rds through my GBL so far without a hitch with another 300 being reloaded in the upcoming weeks. :)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Kwesi, that's a great rig you have there! If you can't kill a hog with it, then nothing else will. Good luck to you and I'll be looking for pictures!

Ron

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Great looking setup! :congrats: Good luck on the hunt, hope ya get a few pigs!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AJ: an experienced friend mounted the scope & rings. I'm using Leupold's QR base & rings that they recommended. It is so easy to acquire the target. My eye lines right up but this is my first scope. I had no issues with eye relief shooting my loads with 2400. I do have a box of the 430gr HSM's but have not fired any.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone! Two weeks from yesterday I will be in the woods with the guide gun. Loaded up some potent 180gr HC 10mm loads for the Glock 20 I'll carry as a backup. The friend that is taking me and two other guys is going to bring his Coyote calling device. We will be standing & shooting from the back of a truck. He planned on using some other lights until he heard about my kill light so I will be lightin up the pasture hopefully in more ways than one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts