Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I found my GBL a few months ago, and have started to set it up the way I want. Leupold QD rings, scout scope, XS rail and ghost rings, Leupold flip up scope covers, and a sling.

I am waiting for a sleeve to arrive, then it will be fairly complete. I may build the sleeve up to hit the proper height for me on the scope. I may also trim 1/4" or so off the stock as I'm shorter and it is just a hair too long. Speaking of which, does anybody have a recommended way of cutting to prevent chipping?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have also purchased a RD350 mold, and am waiting the opportunity to use it... The "toonie" or "dubloon" is there simply for scale.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
ironbrew said:
I may also trim 1/4" or so off the stock as I'm shorter and it is just a hair too long.
If it were me (and it soon will be)...I'd just remove that sponge they have on there for a recoil pad and replace it with one of the hard rubber ones like they have on the regular 1895's.

I have fired guns with both types (actually, the same gun with different stocks) that thick one hurts worse than the hard one...the thick one is too soft, it compresses too easy and that amounts to about the same thing as firing the gun while holding it an inch from your shoulder.

At least thats the way it feels to my shoulder...

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Very nice! I couldn't have picked better accessories myself.....got a few set up the same! I thought about buying those Leupold scope covers but man they are expensive! I personal just go with the Leupold scope coats......that neoprene keeps them clean, dry and absorbs the shock if you bang it on something.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ridgerunner665 said:
If it were me (and it soon will be)...I'd just remove that sponge they have on there for a recoil pad and replace it with one of the hard rubber ones like they have on the regular 1895's.

I have fired guns with both types (actually, the same gun with different stocks) that thick one hurts worse than the hard one...the thick one is too soft, it compresses too easy and that amounts to about the same thing as firing the gun while holding it an inch from your shoulder.

At least thats the way it feels to my shoulder...
Do you have a source for these?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
six_gunz said:
Very nice! I couldn't have picked better accessories myself.....got a few set up the same! I thought about buying those Leupold scope covers but man they are expensive! I personal just go with the Leupold scope coats......that neoprene keeps them clean, dry and absorbs the shock if you bang it on something.
I wasn't going to, but... It is fairly common to hunt here when it is snowing, and rifle slung. Given that, I figured the time requirements matched the scope covers over the neoprene. Interestingly enough, a friend who is very cautious of his money tried these out and basically rebuked me... cause now he feels he has to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
The easiest way to make a cut through the stock wood without chipping is to wrap the area of the cut with a few layers of masking tape before making the cut.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've said it before (maybe not here). Damn Osama and Dubya. Many of the US companies will not ship to Canada (or international at all). Getting brass, etc. is ridiculous. Our firearms laws are bad enough without the US making it even more difficult and expensive. I've only just sourced Starline brass here. 200 rounds coming. You would expect given our laws the problem is on the Canadian side of the border... it isn't. Companies would rather put a blanket "we won't sell to..." than to sell items the government doesn't prohibit...

Sorry, rant mode off.

I'll keep trying to locate something with a company that will ship to Canada (or in Canada). Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I set mine up exactly as you did. Only difference is I'm using a cheap side saddle for my ammo. That scope set up IS a little high so I stuffed a piece of foam under my sleve'side saddle to raise my cheek up enough to line up "instinctivley" with the scope. BTW, hows your GBL performing. Mine was quite rough, but functional when new(after exchanging one complete lemmon). I used a dremel to smooth out some of the bearing surfaces. NO fail to feed/fire/extract issues. The assembly, however, was less than perfect. The screws to remove the bottom of the reciever were so tight I bent TWO flat tip screwdrivers. I don't think the tolerances are all that great.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My GBL shoots good and cycles good. Has a good trigger and everything. I just want to slim the wood down on this thing and I am scared to do it myself. Is there anyone in the East Texas area that does this sort of thing? I will PAY!!! It is the brown laminate wood if it matters.

kenken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts