Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'd hoped that my first post here was to be on me being a proud owner of a new GBL... not so.

Got tired of looking so I ordered one from my local shop and they even had to put it on the 'hot' list...well if finally came in, having read about some problems I looked it over as well as I could not being a gun smith. No obvious blemishes, form and fit of stock were good. I did notice that the action seemed a bit tighter than my 336 35Rem though but that was about it. Took it home and on my next trip to bass pro about a week later I bought some of the Hornady Pointed Tips for it. Got home and loaded it up to test the action (still a bit leary due to reading up on recent issues)... Gun would not cycle properly... it was hanging up in mid cycle, jiggling the lever a bit sometimes got it to attempt to load but even then sometimes the lever wouldn't close completely and if it did seat more often than not the round wouldn't extract.... off to the net I quickly learned that those new pointy tip bullets could be the issue. So today I borrowed some standard Rem flat nose rounds from a buddy... same result. I tried lubing the hell out of it and cleaning it up, triple checked the barrel for obstructions... no avail... hell now it sometimes skips rounds when cycling. Needless to say I haven't fired it and am taking it in to get it sent back tomorrow, when it comes back I'm so wary of this gun that'll I'll most likely take it to a local smith to go over it real well. Needless to say I'm pissed, it's a fine looking rifle but I expect it to work right out of the box just like my 336 did, especially considering how much it cost.... I also intend to call Marlin customer service and email the CEO's of both Marlin and Remington. I guess I shoul've been wary considering what's been going on but I just fell in love with the look of this particular rifle and I've always wanted a 45-70.

I guess the moral of this story is consider yourself warned.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
GA196CAV Welcome to the forum. :)

That sounds like you got one of the better GBL’s…The problem as you’ve described, sounds like an extractor…If you want help, it’s a simple fix. ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might can give it a whirl, but me and the Remlin aren't speaking at the moment as it's sitting in the corner looking dejected. I will say it is one fine looking piece of metal and laminate but that's about all the kind words I can give it at the moment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same problem. marlin replaced the carrier and in work good now. I have noticed tha if you dont close lever completely that the bolt wont go in enough to let the carrier down. see if this helps the skip cycle at least?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
GA196CAV said:
I might can give it a whirl, but me and the Remlin aren't speaking at the moment as it's sitting in the corner looking dejected. I will say it is one fine looking piece of metal and laminate but that's about all the kind words I can give it at the moment.
I have a GBL also. To me they almost have that “industrial look” to them. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have one of these as well. I prompted me to join this site to find how best to load for it.
I've not had any functional problems with it and when I went looking for a new rifle, my local sporting goods store had one on the shelf that I walked out with as soon as the paper work was finished.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah It's a mean looking hoss but the action is clunky to me... my 336 is alot smoother... my GrandPa's old model 94 Winne top eject will sling 30-30 rounds like a singer sewing machine, though it has the advantage of having found its groove I guess ;D Hopefully when this issue is fixed it will smooth this thumper out a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
GA – Mine had a bit of a rough cycling issue also…When you pull the lever – does it (the lever) seem to bind in the bolt??...My lever needed to be tweaked some, so it was straight…

And while you’ve gone that far – can you pull the bolt and post a pic of the bolt face…A close up to show the extractor??

Erik - do you have the link for the extractor fix. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
GA196CAV,

Welcome to Marlin Owner's!!!

Sounds like a very nice rifle you bought!!! 8)
Don't get discouraged, we'll have you fixed up in no time!!!

These rifles are very basic!!!

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
WhenI first recieved my GS I sorta had to lever it like I meant it, so to speak.
It soon smothed out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears the extractor may be part of the issue, but in the midst of trying to apply the fix the last round got stuck in the magazine tube again and it took about 6 shucks of the lever to get it to catch and then try and feed, I also ensured the lever was fully closed each time. I believe it may have more than one issue.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My 39A had troubles. I bought it brand new about 2 years ago.

I recommend that you write a real polite and professional letter. Describe what the problems are and what you would expect them to do. Send that with the rifle.

Marlin corrected the problems plus made it better. They corrected the feeding and extraction, slicked up the action and put new (real nice) wood on the rifle. Turn around was about a month.

It is a little bother right now but they will make it right.

Corbi

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
GA196CAV said:
It appears the extractor may be part of the issue, but in the midst of trying to apply the fix the last round got stuck in the magazine tube again and it took about 6 shucks of the lever to get it to catch and then try and feed, I also ensured the lever was fully closed each time. I believe it may have more than one issue.
Could be a timing issue and I don't have any experience playing around with that... :-\

Hopefully someone can help with that or you will have to send it back..

I know you must be disappointed after spending your hard earned money on a new rifle, then have to deal with this..
but again, don't get discouraged..
It sounds like a great looking rifle!!! 8)

As soon as this gets straightned out you will be very pleased!!!

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
GA196CAV said:
+ 1 mainecat I agree ;)
Maybe timing, or the carrier bent, or something common to both problems… This is beyond me.

I still believe this will be an easy fix and nothing major…But it is your rifle, so do as you think best… :)

More coffee needed first.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey sorry it took me so long to reply, I decided to send it back... called my local shop and they said bring it in and they'd figured out what to do... brought it in described the problem and they sent it back to Marlin... no charge to me... should've left this morning. Good reason to support your local shops right there. The more I played with that thing the worse it got so I figured a return to Marlin was the best route. I've got a recommendation on a good local smith, so when it returns I think it may get sent out to get slicked up... maybe even a trigger job or something. Nice looking rifle with alot of potential no doubt... but I don't think I'll be buying another Marlin until I'm sure they get the bugs worked out of their new buisness environment.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
GA196CAV,

Keep us updated on how things go.

I suggest while it's gone doing some research on the site here..
You might be surprised what you can do on your own to improve the action of your new rifle!!!
As I said before, they are very basic, there isn't much to them..
If you're even just somewhat handy you should be able to tear it down yourself and become more fimiliar with it..

Take the money you would spend on the gunsmith, buy a gunsmithing screwdriver set and some ammo then get shooting!!!
You gotta break her in first!!! ;)

You're gonna love it!!! :)

·
Registered
631 Posts
I agree with Mainecat, get good screwdrivers and tear it apart when it comes back. If you need to, make notes and draw diagrams as you disassemble the rifle. Doing this will make you more comfortable when it needs some work and it's always better to know how things work. Good luck and welcome to the fold. PS. you need a team hat.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts