Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting some 30-30 cast bullets that are made for gas checks.

I've never done this before.

What equipment is necessary to add the gas checks. Cost?

What else should I know about it?

thanks

hogship

·
Registered
25 Posts
Now, Pottsy, you know better than that! How you go talkin' secret about gas checkin? If you don't post your response, I ain't got no way of tellin' you you're doin it all wrong! :D

Punchy

G

·
Martin Martin Martin what is the big secret?It is common knowledge.

335653LYMAN GAS CHECK SEATERDESIGNED TO SEAT GAS CHECK SQUARELY ON BOTTOM OF BULLETALSO WORKS ON THE RCBS LUBE-A-MATIC.

At Midway USA.

Geez.......Like 7 bucks. :lol: :lol:

Jayco.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pottsy.......

.....and what a great piece of information it was!

(I didn't say anything, because I wasn't sure what was going on between you, jayco and punchy.)

Thanks for putting it together for me. If I were going to reload 1000's of rounds for my 30-30, that would be an excellent way to go. However, the cost of the swaging die is prohibitive for me at this time.

I've found out a little more about putting on gas checks since my first post here......and what I've found out is that it.....also....requires a piece of equipment called a "lubrisizer" to get started. Same story......too much money for this experiment. I don't cast my own bullets, so I believe I'll just let this "pipe dream" die.....for now, anyway.

BTW, pottsy.......You really should think about posting your information about swaging (with all those excellent photos) for everyone to check out. ....and I thank you for taking the time to put it together for me.

hogship

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Low buck is the key then? The Lee sizer will seat checks just fine. It is a die that screws into your existing reloading press and pushes bullets through nose first. You can get them anywhere for less than $15 complete with lube ($11.79 from Midway).

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Oh yeah...

Pottsy, the whole reason for a forum like this is for users to post content. Especially interesting technical content. By all means, post away!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, imashooter2.....

That looks like the ticket!

Is there any problem with using cast bullets that already are lubed, while seating the gas checks?

Thanks

hogship

·
Registered
25 Posts
Imashooter,
Man, I'm with you, brother! When it's time to GC, I break out my Lee sizers and go to town!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
hogship said:
Hey, imashooter2.....

That looks like the ticket!

Is there any problem with using cast bullets that already are lubed, while seating the gas checks?

Thanks

hogship
Nope, as long as the shank for the check is clean so that the check can sit flat on the bullet base you'll be fine. Using pre lubed bullets will also overcome the one fault in the Lee system, and that is that the liquid lube they use covers the entire bullet, including the portion that remains exposed after loading.

G

·
martin t potts said:
I am going to keep posting swage bullet stuff till he^^ frezz%% over :twisted:

Pottsy

Please do Pottsy.....

Thanks to you, I've been to the corbin site, and have found it extremely interesting. Those swaged bullets look mighty interesting.

Tell me, it is a time consuming process?

hogship

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi hogship -

I also use (& recommend) the Lee bullet sizers, w/wo gas checks.
I have a Lyman sizer but the Lee gives results that I can't complain about. Plus CHEEPER!
Lee cautions always lube before sizing, and w/either Alox stick or Lee's Liquid Alox, I've had no probs.

I have Hornady GC's 'cuz that's what MFNGS (my friendly neighborhood gun store) had at the moment I was ambushed by the "need" to put a gas check on sumpin' (ever happen to anybody else out there? ).

They just "clamp on" and fak-o-matter is I don't know if they can/will come off in flight or not. This'll definitely affect accuracy if they should. NOT GOOD.
HOWEVER, I shoot them on a 518 gr Lee and have shot a buncha 1ish" groups @ 100, 3/4" group @ 150yds best so far, in a .45-70.
Lyman gas checks, in contrast, have a "lip" of sorts on the inside of the cup that swages into the base of the bullet.
They're also ~10% more expensive in Midway's catalog.

BTW, if the need (or wild hair) ever arises, Lee claims they'll make you a sizer if any size you want for $25 - such a deal!

I don't work for 'em - just used 'em for 35+ yrs and always been satisfied with the cost/result outcome.

Just helpin' to push you over the brink into reloading. :D

regards,

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
curmudeon.....

Thanks. Actually I've been reloading for over 20yrs. Never have used gas checks, though. I don't intend to get into casting my own bullets, but have been using commercially produced cast bullet since the latter half of the last decade.

To me, gas checks seem like a fix to cast bullets that would be better solved by just using commercial bullets that have a full jacket....it does serve to make a more authentic cartridge for rifle application on my 30-30 Marlin 336CB, which has an octagon barrel and nostalgic tang sight......that's why I am interested in experimenting with them.

I am aware that, by using gas checks, velocity can be substantially higher than with plain based cast bullets.....for that one rifle in 30-30 I'm considering, that would be a plus.

Later....

hogship

[/url]

·
Registered
41 Posts
IIIEEE!! Did anyone else HEAR that guy on the Corbin site? I was sitting here reading and all was quiet and then this loud guy comes on telling me about a "shopping cart" . Startled me. LOL. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts