Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ranch Dog mold that drops 300 gr boolits at .432. It is cut for gas checks but it has tumble lube grooves.
Currently I just dip lube 'em and do not use the gas check since there is no way in hades those things will break 1,500 fps out of my 1894.
They seem to shoot pretty good as is.
Anyway the question occurred to me - what would you use to crimp the gas check on when the sizer would take out the tumble lube grooves?
Bonus - is there anything y'all can say for certain about shooting a boolit cut for gas checks without it? I've seen a lot of speculation and "try shooting it" - but nothing definitive.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
A .432 sizer will crimp the checks without sizing the bullets. A .431 sizer would also work and probably wouldn't size them too small to fit, although you'd have to check. No one makes a .432 sizer, but it is a simple matter to open Lee dies. Both RCBS and Lyman make .431 dies, but you'd need a sizer press to use them. Annealing the checks first will help eliminate any spring back.

ETA: It can be said with certainty that it is much easier to shoot gas checked bullets to the limits of a rifle with accuracy than it is unchecked.

·
Super Moderator
12,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I got a fella on CastBoolits to make me a .432 die for my Lyman LubriSizer. You don't hog those out too easy. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts