Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to customize a 'new to me' 1895 with micro-groove barrel. Has not been slugged yet. Was planning for the short term in using Garrett's medium powered lead ammunition for hunting. Anyone ever use/checked their cast diameter? Kind of excited to get things planned out and had not heard back from Garrett, so thought I'd ask.
John

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK...................................has anybody even shot the stuff? If so, what type barrel?
John

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I am afraid that a large percentage of the 45/70 guys reload and an even larger percentage of the cast shooters reload. It is common for commercial makers to go 10 thousandths over as in .459. But, I would google their site to check size and if they are gas checked.
I don't know why you want Garrett ammo which I am sure would work, but I am sure standard factory ammo would get the job done at less cost.

Reactions: Owen49

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
sorry for the double post

I am afraid that a large percentage of the 45/70 guys reload and an even larger percentage of the cast shooters reload. It is common for commercial makers to go 10 thousandths over as in .459. But, I would google their site to check size and if they are gas checked.
I don't know why you want Garrett ammo which I am sure would work, but I feel standard factory ammo would get the job done at less cost.

·
Super Moderator
11,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Arkie, right, I too would normally load my own except cast which I have never done, though I hope to in the future. Right now, loading of any type is not doable in the near future. I would like to set this micro grooved 1895 up for close in timber work using a big casted, wide meplat round. So hence, start with maybe the mid power Garrett. Anyway, I'll continue and try to get through to Garrett myself. Thanks again.
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts