Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Could you give a short synopsis on how it works and the "ball park" price of this gadget? While I'm a "sucker" for electronic gadgets, it seems this new offering has multiple uses other than hunting or hiking.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's a GPS that you can pair with your cell phone. It also has satellite text and emergency SOS capabilities. I can use it as a GPS, a compass, track way points plus a whole bunch of other things too technical for my old brain. The main reason I got it is for backwoods communication and emergencies. I can send texts to my wife or an emergency SOS from ANYWHERE when I am out of cell phone range in the wilderness. The price was $419. Cdn on sale .

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Sounds pretty cool. How does it enable texting, must bounce your signal off the satellite? I had a Garmin Rhino. I liked it because it would show the position of others in your party on the map. Of course, they had to have a Rhino too. Does this one give other people's positions too?
V

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds pretty cool. How does it enable texting, must bounce your signal off the satellite? I had a Garmin Rhino. I liked it because it would show the position of others in your party on the map. Of course, they had to have a Rhino too. Does this one give other people's positions too?
V

I think it uses the Iridium satellite system . You get basic GPS Navigation usage with the In reach Mini or Explorer and so far I have found the Mini to be very accurate. For a fee ( monthly or long term ) you get satellite text, Emergency SOS and more functions. It can also give my location when I send my wife a message. You can select 3 premade text messages and send them to your recipients an unlimited number of times. If you create a new message not from the premade list of 3 it counts against your usage plan.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got to try it out on my last hunting trip. It worked very well. We were in the wilderness 60-70 miles north of the nearest cell phone tower and I was still able to send and receive messages from home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.