Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post much here, but I do read what y'all post.... Good stuff. I love to raise a garden, currently I have a bit more than 3000 sq ft in my garden. I was a bit late getting her out due to our spring rains but she's really starting to bear. I have 40 something mortgage lifter, Cherokee purple, black krim, black cherry, and tomatillo tomatoes loaded with green maters, beans, corn, sweet taters, purple hull peas, strawberries, squash, zucchini, jalapeños, cubanelles, cayenne, tobasco peppers and okra.

Here's what I picked this morning. Mmmm stuffed peppers tonight!

Attachments

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Them Jalapenos are great when stuffed with cream and shredded cheddar cheese, wrapped in bacon, and roasted on the BBQ! Yummy!

Reactions: 35REMSHOOTER

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looking good, man! Our peppers won't be coming in for another month. 3000 square feet!! Is that a garden or small farm?!! Grow yer own!!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Jalapeno, Hot Banana, and Cayenne are coming in great here.

My tomato plants are full but nothing is turning yet. We really need some rain.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes sir, I imagine that one good rain would ripen it all up pretty quick.

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I don't post much here, but I do read what y'all post.... Good stuff. I love to raise a garden, currently I have a bit more than 3000 sq ft in my garden. I was a bit late getting her out due to our spring rains but she's really starting to bear. I have 40 something mortgage lifter, Cherokee purple, black krim, black cherry, and tomatillo tomatoes loaded with green maters, beans, corn, sweet taters, purple hull peas, strawberries, squash, zucchini, jalapeños, cubanelles, cayenne, tobasco peppers and okra.

Here's what I picked this morning. Mmmm stuffed peppers tonight!
Now that's gardening...!!

My green beans have been producing great for a while, squash poking along, tomatoes just now getting tomatoes, and the peppers are starting to pick up the pace.

My little garden of just a few 4 x 8 raised beds is tiny compared to yours...wow..!!

·
Banned
869 Posts
You guys farther north are lucky. I have been growing gardens in Florida the last few years (in multiple locations).... and every year its the same thing.... My garden gets devoured by bugs and some kind of disease/fungus that is airborne. I've tried all sorts of sprays and concoctions.... but none of it works. The native soil is terrible...so I go with raised beds or containers.

The production and quality that I get in Florida.....compared to the gardens my grandfather had while I was growing up in the Midwest..... doesn't even compare.

My herb garden does really well. But the diseases and bugs kill my vegetables every time. And forget trying to grow anything in the blazing heat and humidity of June - September here.

What I wouldn't give.... to be able to have a garden like my grandfather grew.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you gentlemen! Yeah, it's a big garden. But the wife and I have three little boys, so it helps out.

Here in my little community, and at our church, a whole lot of men are real serious about our gardens. We raise em big, we put up lots, and give LOTS away, and swap plants and tips with each other. Matter of fact, I've always said gardeners are the most generous folks around. The big fun is seeing someone get excited about receiving a sack of garden goodies. Plus I keep grandma, my parents, and a couple of elderly aunts in tomatoes, eggs, and whatever else they want out of the garden.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys farther north are lucky. I have been growing gardens in Florida the last few years (in multiple locations).... and every year its the same thing.... My garden gets devoured by bugs and some kind of disease/fungus that is airborne. I've tried all sorts of sprays and concoctions.... but none of it works. The native soil is terrible...so I go with raised beds or containers.

The production and quality that I get in Florida.....compared to the gardens my grandfather had while I was growing up in the Midwest..... doesn't even compare.

My herb garden does really well. But the diseases and bugs kill my vegetables every time. And forget trying to grow anything in the blazing heat and humidity of June - September here.

I don't use any pesticides at all in my garden. I used to, but I didn't like the idea of using neurotoxins on my vegetables. Plus I found that when I quit using pesticides I had a whole lot less trouble out of bugs. By not killing em the good bugs kept the bad bugs under control.

Early this year I was getting more holes in my leaves than I liked. So I loaded up my pa's old duster with burnt lime and dusted everything real good. That'll take care of bugs and keep rabbits from eating your stuff without putting all the chemicals on your garden.

I do use anti fungal on my heirloom tomatoes when needed, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
3,000 sq ft! wow ! I thought my 350-400 sq ft garden was big. Only squash this year is zucchini. I'll fix a bit of it on the grill, but the bulk will be shredded to make zucchini relish with and then canned for the year. Great with burger's, dog's, or brat's!

Oops! planted pumpkin also, grand daughter's need jack-o-lantern's LOL! Thing's are doing good now that we put chicken wire along the bottom of the fence to keep the rabbit's out. Eight foot of fencing to hopefully keep the deer away also. We'll see. Hoe'd yesterday and thing's are grown enough now that I can mulch with 'goat straw'. Grow that food!

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Watch some films on you tube call "Back to Eden". Really helpful information on growing a garden in bad soil. Also no need for any chemicals. I have a 4000 sq ft garden at home and a 1 acre garden out on my farm. It used to be 3 acres but that got to be too much. Everything we do is also heirloom and organic. It was done back in the old days so it can be done again. We have just lost a lot of information and tricks on how to grow healthy food in our "convenient" times.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
The only fertilizer I use is concentrated Alaskan Fish Fertilizer, mixed to direction's, and to every two gallon's of water I add a good handfull of Epsom's Salt's. That's and the goat straw is all I use. Need to get a better way to spread it though, a water can takes too long. I'm thinking about using a seed broadcaster fot salt's, and maybe a mixing reservoir for the fish fert., the kind you fill and then put on the hose.

While we have our own well, supplying two home's doesn't keep enough pressure to water with the sprinkler's I've found , so hand/hose watering is done. Slowly efficient, but not very good for the aches and pain's. I need to find a better sprinkler system besides running drip line literally 'everywhere'.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts

BigHornCamp where in Florida are you located? Florida is one of the largest producers or all types of crops. My grandfather made a living here growing tomatoes, squash and watermelons. Most of the produce that is sold today is grown in south Florida so they can get the crops out early and bring better prices. Unless you are in the sand hills or on the beach I would think you should have very good soil. I have grown gardens for years and we have very rich top soil that most people have to buy. One thing about Florida is that you need to plant early. Planting late is when the pest and heat become a problem. By this time of the year the only thing left growing outside is peas, okra, peppers and maybe some corn. Most sweet corn has been picked by July. Up in the Panhandle and Tallahassee they can be a little behind the area I am in but not by much.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True, a friend in the panhandle told me most planting is done in feb and March iirc down there.

Pat/Rick, I use an organic fertilizer I mix myself: cottonseed meal, gypsum, ag lime, dolomitic lime, and bone or blood meal. I use that after the stuff has come up, maybe side dress one time, and the one to two shots of equal parts miracle grow and Epsom salts sprayed out of a hose end sprayer.

·
Banned
869 Posts
BigHornCamp where in Florida are you located? Florida is one of the largest producers or all types of crops. My grandfather made a living here growing tomatoes, squash and watermelons. Most of the produce that is sold today is grown in south Florida so they can get the crops out early and bring better prices. Unless you are in the sand hills or on the beach I would think you should have very good soil. I have grown gardens for years and we have very rich top soil that most people have to buy. One thing about Florida is that you need to plant early. Planting late is when the pest and heat become a problem. By this time of the year the only thing left growing outside is peas, okra, peppers and maybe some corn. Most sweet corn has been picked by July. Up in the Panhandle and Tallahassee they can be a little behind the area I am in but not by much.
I live just north of Tampa now... but I have also grown a garden near Tallahassee as well. I have better luck with my winter garden than summer garden. But regardless of time of year or location... there is some kind of blight or fungal disease that grows on the local vegetation and trees (especially the oak trees) that always transfers to my darn vegetable garden. No matter what I do... it kills and/or stunts my vegetables. And my garden isn't under the oak trees either. Its in a sunny area in my back yard... that isn't too far from a power line easement that holds the trees that transfer the diseases to my vegetables.

And yes, I learned pretty quick down here... that come June/July... the bugs, heat, and constant humidity (creating fungal issues) is nearly impossible to grow most vegetables in. I have seen some local guys that have had success growing some types of vegetables that are native to Asian tropical environments do well in the Florida summer season... and I have thought about trying some of them.

This is my 3rd or 4th year trying to grow a garden down here... and I've had some success and some colossal failures. There is always more to learn when it comes to gardening. I am getting very frustrated dealing with the constant barrages of bugs and diseases killing my garden every single season. I'm kind of at the point now... where I don't know what else to do...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

Bighorn , I feel your pain brother , I HATE BUG'S Worse that You do man , you just don't know it . Bugs"..... Them suckers AIN"T Even gota Chance" in my gardens Period , me being a retired exterminator for over 45 years , I 've got a Large Battle group of Equipment" :ahhhhh:to keep the bad guys Away form My compound command centers :biggrin: , but your best bet my Friend" , is to use a lot of different Chem. Dust's and Granules on your Garden and your yard . Different liq. spray's are Very good for an instant kill" but that is about it , Esp: when it get's Hot and humid . Sprays work pretty Quick" , but the High Heat and humidly will draw 95% of it right up into the atmosphere in just SHORT Amount of time , and its gone . It kills what's there on the spot , but you have a hatch of New critter's almost daily" , and also New Different insect's hatching out also weekly Through out the year , Clear till Frost time . Your Dust's and granule's will last for Many Day's at a time killing the new invading troops" Granules will last a LONG time in the ground>>>> Two too Three month's at a time , where the dust's will last till it get's Wet and becomes hard and caked" form watering or rain . I use a LOT of dust's I buy in the large bulk bags , on my crops each year , and apply it about once a week with a Gas powered duster machine , because my gardens are Large , but you can do it using just a Small shaker can , which you can buy it in . I spread Cem. granules on the garden plots in the spring , and Till that into the ground , and them Lightly apply those again on the fresh tilled soil about a month before I start planting . I also apply the granules Lightly" on the ground on my second tilling after planting , between the rows , and the plant's are up about a Foot" high , to hill up the row's and weed control .

I'm pretty much done tilling after that for the rest of the year , and start to apply my Dust's LIGHTLY" the rest of the growing season , on the plants . and it does a Very good job on my entire Garden areas . The Granule's control the below ground bug's and the dust's combats the above ground critter forces , through out the summer . You can buy Everything you need to combat the Bug force every year to plant your Lawn or Gardens , right at your local Home Depot , or Lowes Centers , or go on line and have it delivered to your door , like I do every year .

When I water>>>> a little each day" , I keep it pretty low on the ground and off the plants them self's , to keep as much dust on the plant as I can , and it work's Pretty well .....

All these ~ so called environmentalist" preach to ya >>>> Go Green" , don't use Chemicals on your yard of gardens" , BULL" , You" tell That" to the average farmer that has Several thousand $'s worth of Seed" planted in the ground , not to mention all the rest of the equipment and fuel expense it cost him to get it into the ground , and listen to his response about that . These are Modern day time's man , and we have the technology , equipment and metals to do things right , and Make those gardens Produce a LOTA Food :eating: ... I freeze and can up a LOTA Lota food every year . The Kroger Hate's me :biggrin:....

I buy Most of my garden seed from America Seed Co. right on line , and raise all my own plant's each year , cause I have the heated space to do it , and I like to watch the tiney seeds germinate and produce the plants . Give's me something to do in the late winter / early spring , here in Texas ....:tee:

Dave

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
I understand your frustration BigHorn. It is a lot of work, so when things don't go well it gets old real fast. I have had my failures for sure. You may want to have your soil tested. You could have nematodes or a bad balance of lime something simple could cause problems. Down near Tampa I would plant in February for sure. It can be done as they grow tons of tomatoes right there in Ruskin. Also almost full sunlight is required for a good garden spot.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Well fellow's , I can stress enough how important it is to prepare that Ground" your working with . I'm talking about controlling Bug's And different Fungi's . Modern" Chemical Fertilizers And Pesticides , miticides , are your best bet . It's Going to same you way less work and frustrations in the long run . It's not" unhealthy using these chemicals IF" you Follow those printed labels" which you Should do not only for your on benefit" , but to also protect and respect our environment . following those labels will do precisely That" .

A lot of those thing's Some" , of you are doing are creating a lot of your own problems , believe it Or not .I just got through picking Two Pickup loads of corn just South of Forth Worth Tx. , and no army worms in my corn , because , like I say , They didn't even have a chance to hatch out from egg, larva, pupa and to adult stage , cause there All Dead from My Chemical DUST" , not some myth . You all Can't EVEN" image Just how my hundreds of thousands of different insect's that we all have each year in our yards and gardens , I don't care WHERE You live at guys . I have messed with insect's Most of my life" , and I Know most of there habitats , and How" to control them , just for that reason , and trying my Best to pass some of my knowledge on the subject . But yall can use your own so called old school method's or what ever , but For the Most" part , your spinning your wheels .

I'd like to see some of you none Cem. use people control the termite's that get in to your home's . For most people It is Impossible for ya to do it With Chemical pesticides , No. 1 because most don't know the habitat of the Several Hundred different termites we have in this country , and Which Kind You Even Have in the home . No. 2 you don't have the right" equipment to get Too the areas , to even apply cem. properly , or how much of it to Apply , and # 3 don't have a clue where to properly apply in your home . Most people Way over mix chemicals and miss apply them on top of it mainly because they don't understand the mixing procedures on the label , or don't bother to even read them .

Controlling Insect's is hard enough doing it with the right equipment , and Right" Chemical , let along trying to do it the old faction way , believe me . Many years ago I went to a Nice old lady's home to kill her cock roaches , she had a bunch of old rotten Hedge apples , of all thing's here and there in her cabinet's . I said Madden" , may I ask you a question ? she said well yes" , I said Why pray tell do you have all these old hedge apples in your cabinet's ? She replied well , they Kill the Roaches " ! I shook my head , knocked a bunch of them off crawling up my pant legs , and said well if that's the case , Why pray tell do you have me out here killing them for you ? :hmmmm: She said Well " it doesn't kill ALL of Them as you can see :vollkommenauf:Daaaaaa " I said ok then , step back and let me show you how it's done the Right way with this bug spray , an hour latter I left with her $100 check" and she was sweeping up MILLIONS of Dead Roaches in the Nasty place .... funny story , but it's true :biggrin:

Ok , I've said enough about it .... do as you must , got get outa here and go finish digging a culpa 100 More lbs. of potato's out at the corn patch , and turn them water melons over again....

Magnum6 :tee:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Magnum6, I am not a greenie, and I don't know what put a burr under your saddle here. I'm just a farm boy who's used lots or orethene (sp), mahalathion, etc.... on the farm. But even I know it's plumb dumb to use chemicals when you don't need them! If I needed a pesticide I'd use one. I don't have bug issues so I don't use it. What's the problem there? I use my organic mix of fertilizer because it's cheaper and after I used it I thought my garden stuff tasted better. Again what's the problem?

Also as a farm boy I know if no bugs are present I'm in trouble! I need the pollinators and I need the beneficial insects. I need the bees for the beehives I'm about to install. This scorched earth kill it all approach is neither healthy, wise, nor as God intended. Matter of fact I'm surrounded by hundreds of acres of corn and soy beans right now and know the growers well. They don't even try to kill off all insects.

You have a garden your proud to eat and I have a garden I'm proud to eat. I don't attack your way of doing things and I don't see why you'd come here and attack my way either.

·
Banned
869 Posts
I understand your frustration BigHorn. It is a lot of work, so when things don't go well it gets old real fast. I have had my failures for sure. You may want to have your soil tested. You could have nematodes or a bad balance of lime something simple could cause problems. Down near Tampa I would plant in February for sure. It can be done as they grow tons of tomatoes right there in Ruskin. Also almost full sunlight is required for a good garden spot.
I grow everything pretty much in containers. All the potting soil, compost, peat moss, fertilizer, etc... all comes from the home and garden stores... I can see the diseases (black spots and yellowing leaves) on the leaves of my local trees. Its the same exact thing that gets on my vegetable plants. I very well could be wrong... but I think its being transferred through the air. I don't see how it could be a soil thing...as I'm getting the same exact vegetable disease in 3 different yards now...

I have tried spraying with well known anti fungal/disease sprays like Daconil and copper based ones. They solved the powdery mildew problem... but they don't do a darn thing against what I think is some kind of blight disease. I get spots on the leaves...and the leaves turn yellow and get burned up. It starts at the bottom of the plant and works its way up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts