Marlin Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at my work has an early like new Galco Miami Classic shoulder harness system for sale. He got it in some deal and has no idea for what handgun. The holster says "Galco 145 Large Frame Automatic". I've spent two hours searching the internet without coming up with an answer. I called Galco and was told it's a very early holster they made but they changed their numbering system and lost the info for the part numbers of many of their early holster/gun models.

This thing is a work of art, and for $20 I cannot let it go. In a worse case scenario, I'll order another holster for one of my many handguns. I'd just like to know what gun the early Galco Miami Classic 145 uses. Does anyone here have a list of their early part numbers?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I don't have what you're looking for, but based on a semi-educated WAG...I bet it's for a 5" 1911 or similar. If you have the rig in your possesion give that a try...assuming you have a 1911.

You DO have a 1911, don't you?

Even if you don't, it's a steal at five times that price...almost worth buying a gun to fit it. I wouldn't be surprised if a Hi-power would snuggle in, right at home as well.

Roe

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roe,

It should be in my possession in about 9 hours. My full size Kimber will be tried first and then a HI-Power. I appreciate the suggestion of buying the right gun to fit the holster. I was going to put that in my first post but it sounded extreme, but now it doesn't. Galco sure did and does make nice stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Far from extreme. I've been known to buy a set of nice grips, then look for a handgun to fit them. My pal Maudite often buys vintage scopes, then searches for the perfect rifle to mount them on.

A fine holster in search of the right handgun sounds perfectly normal to me.

Roe

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Far from extreme. I've been known to buy a set of nice grips, then look for a handgun to fit them. My pal Maudite often buys vintage scopes, then searches for the perfect rifle to mount them on.

A fine holster in search of the right handgun sounds perfectly normal to me.

Roe
Now that would be a pair of dangerous insidious enablers to go shopping with........

·
Super Moderator
13,975 Posts
I am thinking any full size auto like the 1911 or M&P 45 and others full size and 45 would work. Maybe watch some old Miami Vice shows and see what they are using in them. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
the harness alone cost 30-45.00 depending on which one you chose and the mag pouches alone sell for about 70 so it's not a bad buy just for the other components

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Maybe watch some old Miami Vice shows and see what they are using in them.
Crockett carried a Bren Ten in a Ted Blocker shoulder rig during the first season. Later, after Dornaus & Dixon, maker of the Bren Ten folded, he carried a S&W 645 .45 ACP, in what became known as the Miami Classic shoulder holster this thread concerns. The 645 was replaced in latter episodes with the newer 4506. He also carried a Detonics Combat Master .45 in an ankle holster.

Roe

·
Super Moderator
13,975 Posts
Oh no this is not good. I just looked up a S&W 645 .45 acp and I am going to have to have one. I don't know anything about them but that is a sweet looking pistol.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
The Model 645 was introduced in 1985 and was the first .45 ACP-chambered semi-auto offered by S&W. It is part of their 2nd generation series of pistols...a full sized 5" stainless steel, traditional double action, using 8 round magazines. It was produced for six years, replaced by the 3rd generation Model 4506.

Fine examples can be found for around $500...LE trade in's a bit less.

Roe

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got home from work and without the holster. Evidently, another co-worker took it home Wednesday night to try, and none of his guns fit correctly. He said he tried a 1911 and an EEA Witness. He was supposed to bring it back tonight but decided at the last minute to make a 4 day weekend. Guess I'll get it on Tuesday.

I'm kinda bummed out because I can't wait to start shopping for the right gun to fit this rig. I have over a dozen S&W revolvers but have never owned a S&W semi-auto, and wouldn't mind having one of the older discontinued models. The new S&W Glock copies aren't for me.

·
Premium Member
12,010 Posts
I am thinking any full size auto like the 1911 or M&P 45 and others full size and 45 would work. Maybe watch some old Miami Vice shows and see what they are using in them. :biggrin:
In the early Miami Vice shows, Sonny Crockett used a Bren 10...................I remember this because I was interested in a Bren 10 at the time, too............

More than likley, that rig will fit a 1911, either Gov. or Commander........

As Roe, and others say,............Nothing wrong with starting with the Holster or the Grips, and then go in search of the gun!.........We've all done that a time or two.......

I once knew a man who bought a tripod for a Maxim Machine Gun, when he didn't have the gun itself............When another man who had the gun, wanted to buy the tripod, the first man refused to sell it, saying he was now looking for the gun, and he then offered to buy the other man's gun!

Tom

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I don't have what you're looking for, but based on a semi-educated WAG...I bet it's for a 5" 1911 or similar. If you have the rig in your possesion give that a try...assuming you have a 1911.

You DO have a 1911, don't you?

Even if you don't, it's a steal at five times that price...almost worth buying a gun to fit it. I wouldn't be surprised if a Hi-power would snuggle in, right at home as well.

Roe
I was thinking the same thing Roe it said large frame automatic that was my exact thoughts full size 1911!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for not getting back to this thread sooner. A different co-worker took this holster home to try and lost it (long story). Anyway, it's in my possession now and after waiting for a three day response from Galco, they have no idea what gun model it fits. I tried a 1911 and a Browning HI-Power and neither fit well at all. The accompanying magazine carrier will only fit single stack magazines. Guessing this harness rig is for a S&W auto from the early 80's, and unfortunately I do not have any to test. If I find the correct gun to fit this rig, I will buy it. I know it might be a bit extreme, but any excuse to add a vintage handgun is good enough for me.

This is an original Jackass Rig made after the name was changed to Galco. Galco said it's an early one from the early 80's. Holster says Galco 154 Large Frame Auto. Magazine carries says A1403.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,010 Posts
Sorry for not getting back to this thread sooner. A different co-worker took this holster home to try and lost it (long story). Anyway, it's in my possession now and after waiting for a three day response from Galco, they have no idea what gun model it fits. I tried a 1911 and a Browning HI-Power and neither fit well at all. The accompanying magazine carrier will only fit single stack magazines. Guessing this harness rig is for a S&W auto from the early 80's, and unfortunately I do not have any to test. If I find the correct gun to fit this rig, I will buy it. I know it might be a bit extreme, but any excuse to add a vintage handgun is good enough for me.

This is an original Jackass Rig made after the name was changed to Galco. Galco said it's an early one from the early 80's. Holster says Galco 154 Large Frame Auto. Magazine carries says A1403.

Bassetman,

To me.........The shape of the trigger guard in that holster says S&W..............I think its for a large frame S&W auto.

Roe..........?....what do you think??

Tom

Reactions: bassetman1974

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
If memory serves, Sonny Crockett and his gun, had the only known magazines in the whole country for the Bren 10.:biggrin:

Was working at a small gun store in Tempe AZ around that time frame, and with Bianchi and Safariland holsters, it was amazing as too how many that DID not fit the guns they were stamped for, either way too tight, or way sloppy. Now that I know a little more about leather after it ages a bit, I understand that issue. When one thinks about it, boots are about the same way. Ya better try them on, no matter what size is stamped on them.

Galco makes some good stuff. I have a Commander style, that a Browning HP fits in with just a minor bit undersize and maybe 1/16 of barrel sticking out. So depending, both get carried in the same rig.

Reactions: bassetman1974

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Bassetman,

To me.........The shape of the trigger guard in that holster says S&W..............I think its for a large frame S&W auto.

Roe..........?....what do you think??

Tom
I agree Tom...now that we have pictures it does appear to be for a S&W DA auto, but it is not sized for the Model 645 discussed earlier in this thread, as that pistol had the "squared-off" trigger guard of many of the Smith autoloaders. However, the Model 39 and 59, and many of their offspring, have the egg shaped trigger guard this holster is boned for.

Since Jackass Leather was renamed Galco in 1980 (or 1983 depending on which account you read) the holster can be no older than that. Yet this opens up many possibilities. Beside the Model 39 and 59, the 439, 457, 459, 539, and 559...along with the third generation 1000 series 10mm's, the 4000 series .40 S&W's, and the 5900 series 9mm's...among others, may fit.

Knowing Dan's penchant for classic handguns, once confirmed, I suspect the search for a high condition Model 39 or 59 will begin.

If memory serves, Sonny Crockett and his gun, had the only known magazines in the whole country for the Bren 10.:biggrin:
Crockett's Bren was chambered in .45 ACP to make use of common movie blanks.

Roe

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.