Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we dont have "factory" x guns in .223 & .22-250 yet, but I wanted to share this anyway. A couple of weeks ago I fired a 3 shot group out of my b-in-laws rem 700 .223 that measured .429". It chronographed 3423 fps. Today I fired a 5 shot group out of my Mini Mark X .223 it measured 1.45" & chronographed 3225 fps. MMX has a 20" barrel. MMX is also very picky about what it shoots. I also fired a 3 shot group out of my sons Stevens 200 .22-250 it measured .378" & chronographed 3450 fps. This is the best group ever out of this gun. The claimed muzzle velocity was right on the money with the .223 but wasnt even close in the .22-250. All groups were at 100 yds.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
And what are the claimed muzzle velocities?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm sorry, but I refuse to pay the crazy prices the ammo companies charge for their ammo. :mad: IMO, anyone who is serious about shooting should be a reloader, not an ammo purchaser. ::)

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
dmsbandit said:
I'm sorry, but I refuse to pay the crazy prices the ammo companies charge for their ammo. :mad: IMO, anyone who is serious about shooting should be a reloader, not an ammo purchaser. ::)
Hodgdon has released the Superformance and Leverevolution powders for reloading and price wise they are in line with most of their other powders.
At prices ranging from $1-$2 per round for store bought ammo, it has gotten ridiculous and many more people are going to have to reload or just not shoot much anymore!

·
Registered
357 Posts
You guys hit it right on the head. Ammo prices are ridiculous. I just bought a 243 XS7. My buddy complained because he said 223 ammo is so cheap. I told him to take a look around. Any decent 223 ammo is priced right with everything else. It's crazy. I've got to get a few more things and I will be up and running for reloading.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for the data McCurter. I've read in just a couple of places that the Superperformance powder loaded in 22-250 does not live up to the hype. I'll probably try it in my 223 but I have a lot of Varget for my 50 and 55gr VMax. I would never pay for the loaded ammo myself.

And yeah, ammo and reloading supplies have gotten crazy. Last time I bought Lapua brass it was not $60 per 100 pieces for a tiny 223! I'll shoot Remington instead and just check the flash holes and weigh em quick.

I do most of my shooting with a target 22 LR off bags or a bench at 50-100-200 yards. It's fun and cheap even though I shoot match ammo and I get a lot of trigger time.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Oh, there is a factory Marlin 22-250 out now with a 26" heavy barrel 1-10" twist. It looks to have a nice decent stock as well. Ideally a 1-8" twist would suit me but 1-10" ain't bad. It should handle 50-70gr bullets fine.

·
Registered
981 Posts
K31Scout said:
Oh, there is a factory Marlin 22-250 out now with a 26" heavy barrel 1-10" twist. It looks to have a nice decent stock as well. Ideally a 1-8" twist would suit me but 1-10" ain't bad. It should handle 50-70gr bullets fine.
My local dealer says they will sell for the same price as the standard 22" sporter weight rifles. Sounds like another nail in Savages' and Remingtons' coffin. ;D

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I have a XL& in 25-06 and drop a 75gr VMAX on top of 47gr of H4895 and the Hornady website says it does about 3400 fps.
I can reload my own for about $10/box 20 re-using my old brass. Tight groups too.

Best priced ammo I can find retail is $23-25 a box ! no brainer to me!

·
Registered
981 Posts
mccurter said:
I have been loadin my own since 1988 I just like to know about the " latest greatest " once in awhile.
I don't get it. ??? Why would you care to buy factory ammo unless it's blasting ammo for a SKS or AR? Buying factory ammo is no different than burning a $10 bill.

·
Registered
237 Posts
dmsbandit said:
My local dealer says they will sell for the same price as the standard 22" sporter weight rifles. Sounds like another nail in Savages' and Remingtons' coffin. ;D
Savage and Remington are supported by tons of after market parts. That will hopefully happen to the X rifle too. Marlin needs to market these rifles better. The 2011 catalog is even vague on the new heavy barrels.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I shot the superformance (sst version) ammo out of two remington 700's, both stainless 7mm-08's (one sps, one cdl). Neither gun likes the stuff with 3 shot groups hovering around 4". One of these guns is a solid sub MOA gun with almost all of our handloads, the other is just over MOA with most everything else we have put in it. Glad to see it was working for you as I really like everything else I have from Hornady. For some reason our guns don't like the stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
dmsbandit said:
I don't get it. ??? Why would you care to buy factory ammo unless it's blasting ammo for a SKS or AR? Buying factory ammo is no different than burning a $10 bill.
FWIW, I have a house that's all crowded with kids, grandkids, and pets, with no garage, den, or any other place I can call my own to set up a reloading bench. Soon, though. Lord willing.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Prayin for ya there CEETEE

·
Registered
981 Posts
ceetee said:
FWIW, I have a house that's all crowded with kids, grandkids, and pets, with no garage, den, or any other place I can call my own to set up a reloading bench. Soon, though. Lord willing.
I guess you never saw Death Wish III. ;D Bronson loaded his ammo on the kitchen table with a board and a C-clamp. 8)

I understand your situation. In all reality, all you need is about 3' of space in the corner of some room and a lockable cabinet or trunk. Although I currently have a 16'x14' room for my stuff, I started out with a 3' handmade bench and an old kitchen cabinet above the bench. :) A press, trimmer, case loading block, polisher, and powder measure don't need much room. As long as your componants are secured, you should be cool with the family.

Don't sell yourself short, where there is a will there is a way. The kids and others might like to watch you and learn about loading too. ;) The ammo loaded by you could then be part of a family picnic/BBQ at the range. :p The money saved with loading your own will pay for the equipment in no time, and give you so much more satisfaction when the ammo you loaded goes where you pointed it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1+ On the satisfaction aspect the 1st time I shot a 3 shot group @ 300yds that I could cover with a quarter I cut the center of the target out & carried it in my wallet to" show off" until it fell apart.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
If you wanna see a work of art, go to GOOGLE and type in "Work Mate reloading bench" and search the IMAGES.

Now that is a compact portable reloading table!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts