Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have an old hutch that we decided to refinish. We used Citristrip because everyone seems to recommend it. But it's turning out to be a big mess. Then, I tried some mineral spirits and wound up spilling some in a spot that really bleached out the wood.
It's a family "heirloom" so I hope to get it restored.
If Citristrip doesn't work, what's next?

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
I am not an expert on this, but it looks like you are attempting to refinish a "waterfall" type of piece - which is usually a very thin veneer-especially on the top! Veneers can be difficult to refinish in my experience. You need to be careful not to sand through the veneer and because of the thin surface, it is easy to damage it - learned that the hard way once upon a time. I've learned that mineral spirits will bleach out wood. Also, you are likely working with different types of woods on the trim and solid pieces - which could need different types of stripping agents. I don't really know a solution for you other than you might end up carefully bleaching out that one section and restaining from scratch - I did that once but the result was not to my liking. I would find a good local person who does refinishing professionally so they can look at the piece in person and give you a recommendation .

·
Registered
534 Posts
If Citristrip doesn't work, what's next?

DFW..._IF SOLID WOOD: boiling caustic soda then reinforced by hydrogen peroxide 120 volumes_ the reaction can be very violent_acid-proof rubber gloves eye glasses,etc., preferably outdoors, very carefully because the fumes are harmful and the splashes worse. I learned it from those who cleaned here church portals after centuries of paint, dirt, etc._
it works fast and furiously_ after, rinse w. clean water_
if instead you have more time, a suitable container, and / or you can dismantle the furniture, here the antique dealers in the mountains use a tank filled with caustic soda solution, which every now and then regenerate, and leave immersed in what they want to bring to live wood without mechanical abrasion_
(ALL ABOVE IS NOT GOOD FOR VENEERS, of course)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Way back when I did antique furniture I bought a bull snot looking stuff in a 1 gallon can. Can't remember for the life of me the name. I do remember it would burn the snot out of you if you didn't wear thick gloves. Even a splatter could welp you good. Timrikah1 is correct on the veneer. I did a coffee table once. Use a sanding block and don't hit the edges hard you could round them off. I used epoxi to finish the top.

·
Registered
534 Posts
...what you call bull snot it was gel paint remover and it worked very well but, where possible, hot caustic soda costs less and is faster.
also because not everywhere the gel paint remover is available with the old formula, but today it's often sold with an ecological formula (only snot/no bull-thanks EPA!), and obviously ECO does not work_

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
Sounds like y'all are talking about Jasco... Nasty stuff... But man did it strip stuff off... Would also dissolve just about anything that wasn't wood. Including glues and fillers...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The veneer is really pretty. You'll have to sand so I would go with a high grit count sandpaper, 300 or so taking time to check how deep you are cutting. It's more time consuming compared with a lower grit paper, but safer. I'd avoid an orbital or vibrating sander also. I cut through the veneer on some cabinet faces when I was using 200 grit. Wound up refacing them. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: DWF and wilecoyote

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Sounds like y'all are talking about Jasco... Nasty stuff... But man did it strip stuff off... Would also dissolve just about anything that wasn't wood. Including glues and fillers...
Totally of topic, but there was a Jasco building a few blocks outside of the neighborhood. One Saturday morning back around 1965, it caught fire and almost burned to the ground. I watched the smoke and flames shooting above the roof tops from our living room window.

Except for the remodeled front (recent remodel), the rebuilt building still looks the same. The roll-up door was in the far left corner...

old Jasco building.jpg

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Jasco! That's the name I was trying to remember. Wow that stuff was nasty and quick to burn you or whatever you put it on. Wonder if it's still made? I'll have to look.

It is still made. Most of what I find around here is Kleenstrip, but I rarely use it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts