1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Added the site to my favorites list! I read quite a bit about American history, colonial to depression era (no, the one in the thirties).

More so the early time through the transitional period of the victorian era when the new wonders included electricity, telephone, and motor cars. I also like reading about native American religion/mythology. Always been interested in archeo/anthro type's of things. The wife usually finishes up in a museum looong before I do.

The fur trade is what really opened up the west, or invaded, depending on who you talk to. I've always kind of dismissed the claims that Winchester and Colt single action army's won the west, it's more like they put the final polish on it. Flint lock and cap lock layed the ground work, and even did more than a fair share of the labor before, and even after the self contained metallic cartridge showed up. From the Lewis and Clark expeditions on, the time of the muzzleloader (including cap and ball revolver), was roughly double the time of the metallic cartridge era of western expansion, 60 vs. 30 years, with a transition of, say, 15 years overlap, give or take.

Thankyou Starrbow! I'll be spending some time on this one!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been a fan of their site for years. One of the best things about the AMM site is their library. I have spent a lot of money over the years buying many of the books they have on there. I still prefer to own and read a real book but if you don't mind reading on your computer there is a huge amount of material there for free. Some of my favorites listed there are the journals of Ashley, Ferris, Larpenteur, Leonard, Russell and Sage. No better way to learn about the fur trade than from the journals of the guys who lived it.

Here is another great site: Bob Spencers Black Powder Notebook
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/index.html

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been visiting that site since the mid 1990's, I've printed most, if not all of the Journals, I do like I hard print as well, plus as we all know, things on the WWW, have a habit of disappearing in cyber space!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.