Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took my JES rebored 38-55 out to the levergun silhouette match, with several boxes of various assorted ammo I had laying around. Started with one box and discovered it was loaded with black powder. That did what it always does - accurate, pleasant to shoot, and I got 9 chickens. Then moved to pigs and finished the BP stuff. Next box was smokeless, evidently loaded uo to nearly 375 Winchester levels. Those really hit the pigs and everything else with authority, but they were much more difficult to shoot accurately and don't sound or smell right. I finished the match with not a very good score and a very sore shoulder. From now on that rifle gets fed nothing but black powder! It is far more fun loaded that way.

Another fellow brought his 38-55 out as well, a Dan Pederson rebore. He had some very stout loads made up for it as well, and a tang sight that hit you in the nose every time you fired it. I was shooting at the 500M hanging steel with my 45-70 after the match and he said "Watch this - I'm going to shoot that too" and proceeded to hit it offhand. He handed me the rifle and told me to shoot it as well. I asked where to aim and he showed me two bushes on the bank and said to aim between them. So I did, fired, and hit his previous hit! Nothing like a sub one inch group at 500M offhand with two different shooters. We stopped there, didn't want to open up the group any more......and of course there were lots of jokes about the 38-55 being "Just a short range brush gun" and such.

These Marlins are just too much fun.

-Nobade

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I shoot lever action match with my 45/70 gg it's nothing to push over the rams at 200m I'm running a stout load with 405 g cast put them on the crony the other day 1925 fps not to shabby eh

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeez! I sure wouldn't want to stand behind 40 of those loads!

That Marlin may not last too long running it that hard.....

BTW, welcome to the board! A good place for your first post.

-Nobade

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi I shoot lever action match with my 45/70 gg it's nothing to push over the rams at 200m I'm running a stout load with 405 g cast put them on the crony the other day 1925 fps not to shabby eh

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums
Break many feet off the targets?Target damage gets you invited not shoot that gun anymore.
I had to weld the feet back on 17 chickens after 15 matches of one 45/70 shooter with 350 gr. cast at 1800.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts