Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following the 336Y topics here and looking at some prices. My original idea to cut down my Texan would be more expensive so I appreciate the advice I got from you all.

How hard is it to replace the short stock on these and substitute a full size one? Is it an issue matching the color to the forearm? Would the longer forearm of a regular 336 with barrel band fit? Where do you recommend for getting these?

Is it too difficult to make a straight stock conversion?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Remove the existing tang screw, slide the short youth stock off the frame, slide the replacement standard sized Marlin stock onto the frame; then insert and tighten the tang screw, it's that simple. Personally, modifying the 336Y to have a full size stock is a great idea and the end result is a compact man-sized gun; and by retaining the original short forearm, you will have a gun with a well-balanced appearance, unlike the off-balanced look of a cut-down Marlin where the original full-sized forearm was retained.

If you choose to go with a straight stock; the finished appearance will still be excellent; but the conversation is more extensive and expensive, as you will be required to swap out the opening lever and lower tang in addition to the stock.

·
Super Moderator
12,206 Posts
You can swap for straight grip parts for as little as the cost of postage, I've done it several times and it is an easy conversion. The only hard part is finding someone willing to trade. Of course you will have to find a birch stock as walnut is not going to match your forearm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts