Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to purchase a set of 30 Rem. dies and have found a set that comes with just a neck-sizing die instead of a full length sizing die. I only have one rifle in 30 Rem. so would just neck sizing be sufficient? I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks, Gale

·
Registered
121 Posts
It might be- the only way to be sure is to try it. I would note that a F/L die can work as a neck size die but the reverse is not true. You don't say what rifle you are loading for but semi-autos and some lever guns generally do need a full length sizer.

·
Registered
183 Posts
3Marlins......

The only reason for neck sizing, is to get a little more accuracy. Neck sizing doesn't always mean you'll definately see a difference in accuracy...but you might. If there is no accuracy benefit to any particular loading in your rifle, why would you want to neck size in the first place?

I have both FL and neck size dies for all my bolt action rifles.....wouldn't be without either. Of course, (you probably know this anyway), but it's not advisable to neck size for any application, other than the specific rifle your cases were originally fired in.

(SRR is right, in that you shouldn't be neck sizing for Semi-autos, or lever rifles.)

FL dies are cheap.....getting one is the best advice.

To answer the question......Will a neck die be sufficient? It might. Depending on how hot you reload for your bolt action (or single shot) rifle and of the physical dimentions of your chamber, you might get away with it.....and you may not. For target shooting, a tight lock up wouldn't cause anything more than some minor frustration.....but, if the intended use is for hunting, I wouldn't neck size unless each individual reloaded round is checked in the rifle for feeding and ease of lock-up. I occasionally do do some neck sizing for a couple of rifles I hunt with, but, like I say, I check each cartridge for function prior to using it for hunting purposes.

hog

I have other rifles for various other purposes, but these two older Ruger 77's are my hunting draft horses. Depending on the load, I have neck sized for them for use on the hunt.....after testing them for function.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will stay on the look-out for a set with a FL sizing die. The 30 Rem. dies are difficult to find and tend to be a bit expensive so I wanted to consider all possibilities.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
hogship said:
... If there is no accuracy benefit to any particular loading in your rifle, why would you want to neck size in the first place?
To extend brass life would be one reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts