Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used the FTX bullets or factory loads out of a WIN 94 TIMBER in 444? I would need to order bullets so I was just looking for info before i spend the money. Every rifle is different of course but any info is better than nothing. It might not even feed though the 94 as far as i know.

John

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
If I remember right, Winchester had three different models of 444's, traditional 1894, a Black Shadow, and a Timber model. IIRC all three had different twist rifling, the trad had 1-38, the other two had a 1-20 and a 1-12 twist, I don't remember which had what on those.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Paco Kelly wrote about having a "Black Shadow" that was a 1:12. I have a Timber Carbine that I believe to be a 1:20.
I make a 240grn jhp that resembles an XTP. It would not chamber untill I seated it deeper and crimped over the ogive. It shot like a house afire though. I only sighted it in for a hundred yards so can't say anything about farther than that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think my timber said 1-20 in the specs but i have misplaced the booklet. I don't think twist would be a problem no matter what it had. 1-38 should work i think.

I guess i'll just have to try it out & see.

John

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Have had feeding problems with it out of a winchester 94 BigBore with a 20" barrel. last round out of magazine jams gun up. Only use the FP's now.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear that. Do you think the soft point is getting stuck between the mag follower & the tube? That seems to happen in the early marlins also.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts