Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a brick of the Aguila subsonics and have had MANY failure to extracts, perhaps as many as 8 out of 10. Seems to run fine on the Super Extra High Vels, runs fine with the Remington subsonics. Seems like the chamber is really tight on them.
Just checked, the Rems fall right down into the chamber when hand fed with the barrel pointing straight down, SOME of the Aguilas go right in as well, but many stop a 1/4 to an 1/8 of an inch short of all the way in. Seems to be a quality contol problem, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It isn't a QC problem. It's probably a lubricant issue. The 60 grainers have a heavier Eley-type lube. The Remingtons use a dry wax.

What rifle are you using? Does the round fail to extract, or fail to eject?

The "SSS" round is meant for bolt action rifles. I have a few 1-16" twist guns that shoot them well out to 50 yards but I have a 1-9" twist gun that shoots them well out to 150 yards. ~Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Glenfield 75, I dont know which Marlin it matches up with but it has the 16 inch barrel and the 9+1 feed tube ( which I have since converted to clip fed with no problems with other ammo )

I have just cleaned the chamber and bore, with the barrel held muzzle down the other carts and SOME of the Aguila subsonics slide right in up to the rim with gravity only, SOME of the Aguila subsonics stop an eigth to a quarter of an inch from going all the way in and require a little force to ram home. This is done without the gun being fired. These arnt the "sniper" SSS rounds btw.
They are mainly failing to extract, with a few fail to ejects. I have occasionaly had fail to feed and fail to ejects ( stovepipes ) since this rifle was new back in 1967 or whatever, but nothing of this magnitude even with the random quality Remington ammo ( even the horrid Thunderbolts ran ok in this gun )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tried this test, 5 rounds after I gave the outside of the rounds a vigorous cleaning with a paper towel. No change, 3 or 4 fail to extracts 1 fail to fire ( a chronic problem ) and one stovepipe. The bolt isnt even cycling all the way on some of them even though at close to 100yds across the lake the impact points seem to be very close. NOT a glowing first day for the Aguilas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YIKES 3 more boxes, same horrible results. One clip had 10 out of 10 failures to extract or to feed ( FTF from the bolt not cycling all the way back ). 10 rounds of the Remington subsonic went through rapidfire with zero failures. Both are 38gr hollowpoints but the Aguilas sound like they are transonic rather than subsonic ( the Rems are noticebly quieter ), this is just sad lol.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Sorry. I read "SSS" into your post. Too tired, I guess.

As to the Aguilas: you may have a bad lot but more than likely it's just a compatability problem. I have 5 Ruger 10/22's, two of them are full blown customs, and of those two, only one will cycle subs reliably, 99.9% of the time. Oddly, one of my non custom guns will do that as well.

I have chroned most all of the sub-sonics and the Aguila are pretty consistent. I shoot a LOT of them from my bolt guns. Remington, on the other hand, have always been terrible with as much as 150 ft/sec swings in 10 shot strings and poor accuracy. Funny how that works.

I guess if the Rems work, stick with them. If you were next door I'd swap you out of the Aguilas! ~Andrew

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even prone with a bi-pod I get flyers at just 25yds with the Rems. Back when I ran a tub of Thunderbolts through it I could actually hear the difference in velocities from shot to shot.

Under magnification the Aguilas rims appear to have a rounded rim rather than the more squarish rim of the Rems. Since this gun will be only for shooting subsonics I COULD make changes to make the Aguilas extract much more reliably but that wouldent fix the noise/speed issue.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Kaboom,
There are a lot of semi autos that will not cycle sub sonic ammo. Some will as Andrew said, but you'll have a lot better luck with semi autos using high speed or standard velocity rounds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As you can see in my other posts my rifle cycles the slower Remington subsonics just fine, this is a cartridge case consistancy problem with the Aguilas some are just plain larger than others in the same box. I guess I could mic them but it wouldent change the problem and as I said in MY rifle the Aguilas are transonic, just a tic above Mach and there isnt anything I can do about that.
Still waiting to hear back from Aguila to see what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Aquilas

Used some about two years they worked good. Last ones were tight trying to chamber in a Cooper, c-z 452, Rem 541 and a Rug 10-22.Guess they made a bad batch. Didn't try any in my 39-a. Just gave up on them as a bad lot. Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh BTW, If I remember correctly there was a change in the ogive of the bullet in the Aguila SE. This may be the cause of the bullet not seating as easily (in conjunction with the lube). The bullet may be actually be trying to seat into the lands and grooves of the rifling. This happens quite often with Bentz or Match chambers.

Your FTE may be due to the cartridge not generating enough of a pressure spike (or sudden enough) to disengage the bolt with enough force to extract the round (bolt is too heavy, or bolt spring is too stiff). Polish the sides of the bolt to reduce friction if you want subs to cycle reliably (and even then, with a Marlin there is no garuntee).

Gents, remember semi-autos have to be built stiff enough so that Hyper-velocity ammo will function without beating up the firearm so they tend to run on the stiff side when it comes to minimum pressure required to cycle (read disengage bolt). Subsonics, generally, do not meet this criteria due to the reduced velocity (and the pressure that goes with that velocity).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm trying a box of CCI's since they are the only thing close to affordable and PMCs seem to be dissapearing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Should be getting them from UPS today, I plan on shooting groups on Sunday, I'll post what I find out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Extremely early report ( 5 rounds fired off the deck in the back yard ).
The CCIs are VERY quiet, the box claimes 1050fps.
The bullets are slightly longer and for a good reason, the hollow point cavity is nearly 1/16 of an inch in diameter! Still work in the Marlin magazine just fine.
In the 5 rounds I fired, one failed to fire until the third time it was struck, ALL extracted just fine but nearly all "short shucked" and failed to load the next round. THIS I can fix with a shortened or weaker recoil spring, which in the future could be restored back to original if I ever wanted to.

Any advice on how much to shorten the recoil spring or where I can get one of the proper rating ( what is the normal spring rated at? )

Is there a "fix" for the light strikes of my firing pin? I put a washer under the hammer spring some time ago to pre-load the spring but it doesnt seem to have helped much.

My current plans are to aquire a Ruger 10/22 ( please dont kill me lol ) to see what they are like for normal shooting ( I already know they have magazine problems ) and keep the Marlin for sub-sonic special situations ( which in reality will probobly be the majority of my shooting due to noise considerations), the Marlin is 40 years old and it's time for a new 22 and there is every possibility I will end up trading the Ruger in for a Mar 7000.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
While waiting for the CCI subsonics to arrive ( and for ME to have time to mess with it ) I stripped the action and bolt and cleaned everything up and noticed two things. One was that the firing pin had a slight peening on the hammer end, I stoned that off and decided to order a new one from Brownells along with a new hammer spring just for the heck of it. The second thing I noticed was that the recess on the bolt face where the cartridge seats in had some carbon build-up at the top, enough that it could have been restricting how far up the rear of the cartridge traveled and perhaps putting a bind on the casing as it entered the chamber and increasing the friction on extraction. I cleaned that up and changed the firing pin. The hammer spring was over a quarter of an inch longer than the original.
I fired off the rest of the 100rd box ( 95rds) this evening and the results were zero fail to feed, two fail to fire, one after a mag change and the second was after a stovepipe jam. Re chambering those rounds produced firing in each of them. Upon examining the firing pin stikes on the carts I can see that the pin is now striking the cart much harder than before making a deeper indent. The over-all results were great, the Marlin is now shooting more accuratly than I can aim it, ALL of the flyers were my own fault and were predicted as I sqeezed off the rounds. I will be ordering many more of the CCIs. :D
10rds per normal sized playing card

·
Registered
485 Posts
sounds like you've got er purring now :) . i have a marlin 7000 & love it i also have a ruger 10/22t its a lot diffrent than my marlins, the stock screw cant be over or under tieghtened but its a little more accurat than my 7000 due to a lighter trigger pull & has a trigger stop.it will shoot some subsonics as i have only tried 1 brand in it & no cycling problems dont know if it has been worked on or if this is part of the ruger fame,mike243

1 - 18 of 18 Posts