Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an article 2 rifle and can't find out why it has a serial number like a century limited. All numbers match, the trigger is black not gold, barrel is stamped proper with the JM proof, the rifle doesn't look manhandled(no punch marks or any other tool marks). I have tried everything I can to try to figure this out. The serial number reads "NO. 1xx5". The rifle shoots great and looks great so there really isn't a problem but it is driving me crazy!(My OCD)! If anyone can please give me an answer or explanation I would appreciate it. I can't understand why anyone would go through all that trouble if it is a century limited to make it an article 2!?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Try and get some pics (we all like them!) The experts with more info will be along soon to help you out!!

Reactions: clyde823

·
Premium Member
14,191 Posts
The Article II, had it own set of serial numbers, shared between the 39A Article II and the 39M Article II. There was (6244) 39A, and (3824) 39M made in 1971.
So ether way yours was made in 1971. They did make a few more in 1972 (17) 39A, and 1973 (4) 39A

And Welcome to Marlin Owners

·
Registered
832 Posts
My Article II 39A has a serial number of 71-636xx. My Article II 39M has a serial number of No. 372xx. I have no explanation why one is a regular serial number and the other has the special Article II number. I am not sure about the triggers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey Deadeye,
I have searched everywhere on the internet about the serial number and I am at a loss. The gun looks correct and shoots great. I even looked at pics of a century limited and an article 2 up close to see where the emblems go on the reciever. I found a CL pic with the emblem missing on the receiver and there is an indent or milled spot on the receiver for it. On the two rifles the emblems don't sit in the same spot, the article 2 is closer to the takedown screw then the century limited. So that debunks my theory that someone changed the emblems on the reciever. So I figured that mine is an authentic article 2. But my girlfriend and I still call it my fake article 2. Lmao.
I guess we will never truly know why, can't call marlin about it cause of the takeover and the lack of knowledge they have of how the old plant operated and why they did certain things the way they did back then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.