Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the world of recreational shooting and my first purchase for strictly recreational use was a Marlin 60. I put like 500 rounds through it, had a few jams but I read that 22lr were going to jam, so I didn't think much of it. So I go to take it apart for cleaning and I remove the front trigger screw (I realize now that you only have to remove the back one). And now, I can't get the screw back in. I figured the screw was stripped, and I didn't feel like spending $8.00 plus shipping for another official screw, so just went to Aces Hardware and got a host of different screws that should fit (8/32, etc.). None of them worked. So my question is, does this have any impact on the functioning of the rifle? Do I really have to send it in over a missing screw? I'm just using the rifle as a rifle I can shoot cheaply just for some fun.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Havnt had 1 apart in 14 yrs, but there use to be a nut pressed into the wood stock that the front bolt went into. Pull your stock back off and check for nut, it had starlike edges that pressed into the wood to hold in place. Sounds like it backed out or fell out while rifle was apart. Hope this helps. ken

·
Registered
831 Posts
There is a T-Nut on the inside of the stock that the screw goes into. It is like a blind nut except it doesn't have the barbs on it that hold it in place. As a consequence, when you loosen the front trigger guard screw, the T-Nut falls off into the action. You should have found it rattling around in the lower action when you took it apart. If you have lost it, then just get an 8-32 blind nut from the hardware store. It will be a lot cheaper than getting the T-Nut from a gun parts store. If you find the original T-Nut, glue it in place, so it doesn't get lost again.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/444430B.htm

P1000589 T-Nut.JPG

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Welcome to the Marlin Owners Forum shimmy! You will find the Members here to be most helpful!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Slightly OT alert...
Question about the trigger guard assy. I only have an issue with the safety no longer wanting to slide easily. Is there a way to remove it? If so I could loosen it up and continue to have a known excellent trigger break instead of a brand new unknown.

·
Registered
734 Posts
A 1/16 punch can be used to remove the small pin that holds the safety button assembly. Use caution because the spring will fly out. Some guys put it in a clear plastic bag to capture the parts. Once the pin and spring are removed, the détent can be pulled out and the safety button removed.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks. I might have some time later this week to give that a try

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well today was a rainy day so I took care of this. Worked great!
I took some pics to document the job but I see attaching pictures through tapatalk isn't permitted here so it'll have to be much later when I'm plugged into a computer.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Pics to document

The T-Nut is this one (shown upside down)

MarlinT-nut.jpg

I put a 3/16 hole into a piece of hardwood and dimpled it to help it grab better

MarlinT-nut1.jpg

Put a dab of yellow weatherstrip cement to hold it in place

MarlinT-nut2.jpg

As for the safety detent here is the location and how it looks

MarlinGuard.jpg Marlinguard1.jpg

·
Registered
890 Posts
And all back together
Marlinguard3.jpg

Hopefully if somebody does some search terms in the future, these pics will help along with the link Marvlin posted above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts