Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
If it helps you with your sight picture, I'd say go for it.

I've put a drop of white/ yellow nail polish (dollar store) on the front sight of an old revolver and the brass bead on a shotgun. It was a improvement.

I've noticed it's differcult to pick up (see) the front bead of my 336 in low light conditions when hunting.

It's just a drop of paint. you can always remove it later if you change your mind.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Go to the Nail Polish section in Walmart/Target/drug store/dollar store - all kinds of colors to try. Depending on light, gold beads and black posts disappear. The 'light pipe' fronts work well mostly, but do tend to draw toward the light, or glow TOO BRIGHTLY for real precision. The right pink/red/orange/yellow/bright green paint (nail polish) works best for may wife and I on front sights used with peep/receiver sights. The old Redfield Sourdough works fairly well, gold rectangle set at angle on a post ,but have become hard to find.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Anything and everything that helps you see better will help you shoot better. Krylon makes "Short Cuts Paint Pens" which work very well. Andy @ Skinner Sights suggests 2 coats of white for a base and Glow Orange for the top coat. it has worked well for me.

For target work I like "Sight Black"

On 2 of my Sharps rifles I've pulled the German Silver sight blades and replaced them with copper pennies. Filing off the rear top corner of the penny @ a 45* angle creates a glint from any ambient light in the sky even on overcast days.

Table

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I shoot well enough with a variety of sight styles; but I shoot better with small brass beads or 'fiber optic' front sights and a v-notch or u-notch in the rear.

Generally, if a front post/blade is big enough for paint to be viable, it's too big for the precision that I want. I'd rather swap the sight for a brass bead type, than deal with paint (which I've never had adhere long enough to be worthwhile - even with proper surface prep).

Reactions: GrumpyBear

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I’ve used hi vis paints on pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns. The paint has helped my aging eyes pick up the front sight more easily. I settled on day glow orange for me. Especially when I put an oversized bead on my 1100. It can come off pretty easy so I used some of my wife’s clear fingernail polish. That only cost me a couple days on the couch, I learned and went to a big box store and bought my own bottle. Got some funny looks, but it worked. The acetone remover will take off the hi vis paint if you want to change colors.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
I never found nail polish that matched my eyes well enough. Rarely found black on black a problem. Also black seems to fit a wide range of backgrounds. Having said that, fortunately my eyes remain good at over sixty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.