Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 1894s in caliber .357 and .44 mag. Both shoot high at 50 yards with magnum loads and the sights set for minimal elevation. I'd like to put a higher front sight on each, but I'm lost.

Is my front sight dovetail the 'standard' 3/8"? Mine measures about 1/32" less than that. I'd like to put a Williams sight riser on the front, but I don't want to waste money on something that won't fit.

Any suggestions??

Jim

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Just had that problem on a new to me 336 and I just filed down the last notch on the back sight slider thing. Got 'er dialed right in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1894S in 44 mag . Would like to know why it shoots so high at 50 yards set at the minimum sight setting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1894S in 44 mag . Would like to know why it shoots so high at 50 yards set at the minimum sight setting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your dovetail is 3/8's. It is what they call "nominally" 3/8's which means it's about 3/8's. There are a world of front sights out there that will fit your gun. Are your front sights on ramps with hoods or Cowboy guns with no hoods?
All you need to install another front sight is a dovetail file. It is a small triangular file that has one smooth side. That enables you to file the dovetail base of the new sight, which will come large for fitting, without filing the bottom of the sight.
Brownells sells the files and all kinds of sights.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info, gentlemen.
Dave, my front sight has a 'hooded' ramp. I'll get a dovetail file if I decide to change the sight.
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts