Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i bought my GG it had the XS sights on it and came with the rear factory one. I am not fond of the xs sights and would rather have the factory sights back on it. was wondering if any of ya'll had a factory front sight and screws so i could get it back to shootin? I've got a leupold base for it for trade.

·
Registered
343 Posts
1sgret said:
They have the front sight base for the Marlin 336 in 30-30 & 35 Rem. It is probably the same base as the 45-70.
Product #; 518723, price $11.49
I don't believe the 336 front ramp will work. I think the 336 ramp is shorter and doesn't mount with a screw: just a dovetail due to the barrel clamp. The GG uses a dovetail for the mag tube instead of a clamp allowing for a longer front sight ramp and a screw. I'm guessing this is due to the increased recoil of the 45/70 vs the 30-30.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Pumpkin Chucker said:
I don't believe the 336 front ramp will work. I think the 336 ramp is shorter and doesn't mount with a screw: just a dovetail due to the barrel clamp. The GG uses a dovetail for the mag tube instead of a clamp allowing for a longer front sight ramp and a screw. I'm guessing this is due to the increased recoil of the 45/70 vs the 30-30.
the 336, 1894 & 1895 generally use the same ramp, definately the same hole spacing. The 45/70 ramp might be shorter, as in less tall, because the muzzle is fatter & it uses the same sight insert, but I'm not sure about that. The only Modern Marlins useing dovetailed sights are the CB models. The GG uses a dovetailed stud up front to hold the tube because its a rifle & thats how Marlin has always hung tubes on the rifles. The 336C uses bands because its a carbine & carbines commonly utilize barrel bands. There are many models of 336 both past & present that use a rifle configuration and while they dont currently do it the old 1895's were available in carbine form.
That said the old carbines did use a sight dovetailed into the barrel behind the band. To acomodate the ramp they moved the band back behind the sight. Thats why we only get 6 rounds in a 336C now, they used to get 7 in there.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Leverdude,

Hmm, but if you look at this: "http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=518723"

it sure looks like it's shorter than the one on my GBL and it lacks the screw hole mine has in the ridged part closest to the receiver. Also, based on the pics on Marlin's website, it appears to be shorter due to the barrel band. Looking at this pic of the 336 sight:

http://www.marlinowners.com/Users/MBP/Desktop/Marlin336frontsight.jpg

it sure looks different than mine. I do stand corrected that it screws on and doesn't dovetail. Unlike a lot of you guys I don't have a 336 so I can only put in my .02 from pics. Does the GBL use a different ramp than the other 1895's? The ramp on my GBL is a little over 2" long.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
The GBL might use a model specific ramp, never had one. But I do have 1894's 336's & an 1895 and the ramps are all the same. My 308MX is different but I think the ramp it wears is the standard for all of them now. The hole spacing is the same but the ramp is thinner. The ramp in the link you posted is what 99% of the Marlins I'v fiddled with wear and its got 2 holes, one ahead & 1 behind the sight. At any rate they moved the band to accommodate the ramp on the carbines and didn't use a carbine specific ramp is what I'm trying to say. ;) That said theres some with a screw UNDER the sight & I'v heard that some of the birch stocked guns only have one screw. So there are different sight ramps.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I just looked at their site & the GBL has a longer ramp than most of the others. I cant say if that one would fit ahead of the band on a 336 or not. Maybe they do use 2 now, theres definately two in the online catalog but some pictures might be 10 years old. The 336 has a little room ahead of the ramp so its feasable that they could use a longer one that ends up closer to the muzzle now. I need to dig & see if I have one of the long ones to check this out. ;D

·
Registered
343 Posts
The reason I had .02 to put in this thread is that my brother recently received a Remlin GBL with the wrong rear sight. Marlin is sending him a complete buckhorn sight assembly (he really only needs the blade and elevator). However, I'm now thinking that if they put on a 336BL sight pair, he may need the front ramp as well (if it is a different height) since it appears on the Marlin website like it could fit on a 1895GBL. Hopefully, Marlin has (2) different front sights: 336/1895, 1895GBL/336BL and installs different rear sight blades/elevators to match the caliber trajectory.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I could be wrong (obviously ;D) but I think all the front sights on the ramps are the same height, least all I'v looked at were and most of the ramps are the same height, though I have one or two that are taller. The rear sights though are of several heights, leading me to believe they use a rear that should get the rear & front close to parallel with the bore but the fronts are about all the same. I'm not sure where my taller ramps came from but suppose some models have had narrower muzzles & needed a taller ramp to get the sight to where it would work with the shortest rear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Phoneman,

I just say this on Ebay:

MARLIN MODEL 336C FRONT SIGHT
Item #: 390299056611

$9.99 Buy It Now
Up for auction is a Marlin Model 336C front sight. The sight measures 1.875 inches long and .375 inches wide. The screw holes are about .713 inches apart on center. The front hole is about .230 inches from the front edge of the sight. This auction includes the two mounting screws but no insert. This sight is used on recent models of the 336C. I am not familiar with all models that could use this hole configuration.
The sight is in like new condition.

I don't know if this will help you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts