Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy gents. I just bought an 1895 marlin [22 " bbl. made in 2006] at a pawn shop and I'm going to put the Williams WGRS 336 receiver sight on the receiver [I just ordered it from Midway, they're on sale] but I don't know what height front sight blade I need. Do any of you have experience with this? I'm shooting my handloads with 300 grain bullets at 2000 fps and 400 grain bullets at 1800 fps. I used this setup on a guide gun I had a few years ago with the Redfield Sourdough front sight but I want to use a .10" wide blade this time. I just put a Sims grind-to-fit 1" pad on it...much nicer! Thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You might be able to get away with the stock front sight....but then if it's too short for you new receiver sight, then you'll know that you need to install a taller one. Ya might not have to change a thing!

I've had some real good luck with the sight from Millet. Once had a levergun with the Millet rear and front on it and gave me a sight picture just like the .45ACP I was shooting in compition. Made for some real fast target alignment that's for sure. But that was a personal choice on my part.

Wade

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I thought about shooting it with the new rear sight and the stock front bead to see where it hits, but I really want a blade front sight not a bead. Ross Seyfried likes square notch handgun style sights on a dangerous game rifle. An aperture rear works better for me with my vision the way it is. I'm pushing 50 y.o. I can't bring myself to scope a levergun [yet, lol]. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The reason I mentioned using the factory sight was that it'd give you a place to start. I personally prefer a blade front sight with peep or standard notch rear sights. I can't stand bead sights as for me they're not precise enough. Guess I'm spoiled by having had so many rifles and handguns both in and out of the service and police work that all used blade sights.

Erik's got you on the right track with his info. Lots of details on how to get in the ballpark on sight hight.

Wade

1 - 5 of 5 Posts