Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored a 1952 model 336 waffle top on GB a week ago and it arrived yesterday, no pics yet. It is in serious need of rehab, and I likely over paid for it. It is "spotty" with lots of light corrosion all aver and the front sight bead is broken off, and it needs a "skinny or thin" rear sight elevator. The stock is of similar quality and the loading gate has seen a LOT of rounds. It also needs a bore scrubbing. This will definitely be a before and after picture project.

The front sight looks different than my 1979 336. It is not dovetail cut into the barrel; it does have a ramp with dovetail mounted on the barrel and then a dovetail sight is slid into it. It appears smaller than the sight on my 1979.

Are there two sizes of front sights? I have seen "old style" listed on a couple of web sites and I want to make sure I get the right thing. I am also looking for a thin rear sight elevator. I have already ordered some Oxpho Blue, and a peep sight, and dovetail blank.

The stock is either going to be a lot of work or a replacement. It has a nice bullseye, but no sling mounts. I may restore the metal and just leave the stock for effect. It sill be a fun project. PICS to follow in a few days.

D

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
If I recall correctly, some of the ramp type front sights had 1/4" dovetail widths, while others had 3/8" widths. I had to measure that same dovetail width on one of my rifles recently when ordering a new front site/blade from Skinner to go with a peep so I would get the correct one.
Good luck to you.

Reactions: BigDanS

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I have a 1952 "A" and it has a ramp with a 3/8 Dovetail. I bought a 1951 "A" in the same condition and completely restored it. Redid stock&forearm and had the gun reblued. It came out Very nice. If you want the link to the company that reblued it send me a PM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts