Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another quick question......I just got done detail stripping a 1895M I got off Gunbroker. Before I tore it down, I noticed the mag tube attachment stud would slide back and forth in it's dovetail rather easily. Now that I have it apart, this would be the time to tighten the dovetail up and snug up that stud.

What say y'all?? Tighten the dovetail or leave it loose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
If you don't want to punch dimples on the dovetail you can use Green Loctite in it. Green is oil resistant but still can be removed with a little heat. Do not use Red Loctite on this----this one is like using epoxy glue---will be very hard to remove.

·
Premium Member
7,648 Posts

I intentionally leave my magazine dovetails loose, if not loose I make them loose, it aids accuracy. Both studs (mag and fore end) will fall out when disassembling the rifle. Why would you want them tight, they cannot fall out. Several changes will make a Marlin 336 more accurate, that's one of them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
On my 45/70 eventually the two dovetails holding the mag tube to the barrel loosened up. One dovetail retained the forend tip and the other the magazine stud. I tried peening over the dovetails and then applying epoxy but that didn't hold them for long. Eventually I had both parts silver soldered to the dovetails and nothing has moved since. If everything is lined up properly before silver soldering accuracy should be fine. The accuracy of mine is unchanged.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My new 336 BL is the same, only put 30 rounds through it and just noticed it tonight, not sure if it had any movement out of the box, if it did I didn’t notice it anyway. Tried to tighten the screw that goes through the end of the mag tube into the dovetail, but it was already tight. It’s going back to the shop to get new XS sights put on when they arrive so I thought I’d ask them then. But by the sounds of things it might be assembled correctly and not a problem??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts