Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok another silly question. Does the front sight hood have to be removed to use skinner sights? I'm just wondering since really I think the front hood works pretty well even though I know alot of folks dont like them. Also in removing the hood isnt there a chance of the front sight being knocked around?

·
Premium Member
871 Posts
That is a good question. Sometimes the front hood will not work. I put one of my sights on a new 1895 Marlin and changed the front sight since I prefer a blade. The hood still works fine. I had to remove the hood on my 35 Remington when I did the same thing. The answer is "it depends on the rifle."
Tim

·
Registered
91 Posts
My Skinner worked fine on my 1895 with the factory front sight and hood, but I did take the hood off just because I like the sight picture much better without it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Kyhunt,

When I was using my ''Low - Pro'' on my Guide Gun with a hooded front sight I actually carefully changed the shape of the hood from being round into an oval shape.....I lowered the height but made the hood wider side to side.....I did this by gently squashing it, bit by bit in a vice with soft jaw protectors so the hood was not marked......in effect I lowered the hood closer to the top of the front sight........I found this a gave a much better sight picture that worked really well for me on the game I was hunting.

Safe shooting,

Limey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts