Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a front fiber optic for my 1895 sbl. noticed Williams gun sight (fp-450,#70102) has a set, wondering if anyone has it on their thumper.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think the Fire Sights were standard on some of the Trapper models. I have never used them but have heard them highly spoken of.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I too have been considering the fiber optic front sight. I just havent desided what I want to do for a rear sight. Being I will need the proper highth to work with the rear sight. Im looking at green. Heard it was better in low light.

Reactions: Keefer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brownells & midmay currently out of the sight set i'm interested in, have a call into Williams gun sight to confirm stock. let you guy know how that turns out.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Gotta agree that green is much easier to see in daylight or dusk
compared to red.
I use green on my sporting clays gun. My scores drop big time
if I take it off or switch to red.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Yes, green is significantly better.
Try looking at the light pipes in a gun store and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Gotta go green. It just glows. I don't have them on my Marlins but I have them on Glocks.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Give you a tip. If you go with the fire sight, measure your ramp width. The info on Midway and Brownels site say the medium width. .340. I talked to the folks at Williams, they told me that when Remington took over they started making the ramps for the Marlin 1895 narrower. .250 I believe.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
smaller fiber optic front sight is better of accuracy. Larger front sight is better for speed.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have the Williams on a couple of our 30-30s and they do work, as advertised, in our always dark north woods. The FO bead is a bit large for my taste as far as range work and be warned that the light pipe can snap and break with a good whack from brush if your poking your rifle though the really thick heavy stuff. For that reason, not sure I'd trust the Firesight on a rifle that was doing duty as a backcountry self-defense bear gun. For most hunting situations, though, should be fine.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
IMO, the 1/16" wide red dots as sold most everywhere are great for speed, but too fat for precision work. I see some European imports that appear to be about half that size, metric for sure, that I really like. I just can't find them as an aftermarket item.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used green on my hunting handguns and green is fast to pick up but red is more defined and works better for precision shooting. also I found the red is better hunting in the snow. in the snow with a lot of light the green seems to wash out a bit while the red becomes easier for your eye to pick up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts