Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another question for the marlin owners magic 8 ball. I'm looking at 5744 load data and trap door tops at 27gr and lever gun data starts at 30.6gr.Is it safe to go bridge that gap looking for load for guide gun? I don't see why it would not be ok just thought id make sure

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Your 1895G will eat any and all "Lever gun" loads.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I have some development loads for 5744 for my 1895 and they start at 30 and run through 34 gr. with 405 lasercast. I have not shot them yet but by next week I hope I can answer your question with some range reports. I did not go below 30 just because I wanted to go from low to high on the 1895 data. I am sure you can load the 1895 as low as any trap door data suggests. I did load some subsonic loads with blue dot and they shot 3-4 inches low at 50 yds but were very low recoil. some of them were subsonic which were very interesting to shoot, they made a bang then before going very far another distinct crack sound.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Jacob,

Welcome aboard!

Although I've been hand loading for many years, starting about 5 years ago, I began loading my own cast bullets in a 45/70 and soon learned that much of what I had "learned" in the years of high velocity centerfire loading now needed to be relearned and differently with the "mild to wild" possibilities loading for the 45/70.

Likely the most important thing was that I didn't need to go merrily on my way working up towards the upper levels of the published load data, and that in and of itself created a lot of confusion when attempting to pick loads from the published data.

Go ahead and begin your load development in the range of the Trapdoor listed loads, working your way gradually into the Marlin range of loads, and don't be surprised if your rifle tells you it's happy well before reaching the max listed Marlin loads.

I shoot a RUGER #1 and my go to load is a 465gr Wide Flat Nose (WFN) cast at a velocity of 1650fps which puts me WELL below the RUGER levels.

Not only is this load awesome on deer and elk, but also MUCH!!!!! less destructive on good meat then my earlier load of a 355gr WFN at just over 2300fps. Plus, the recoil is much less. The WFN bullet was just overly destructive at 2300fps!

Good luck, be safe and keep us posted as to your results!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 4 of 4 Posts