Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate the friendly folks who visit this site. In contrast, some very unkind things have been said to me simply because of facts I stated about advantages of deer hunting with lever action carbines at typical forest and foothill distances. I had no clue that so many hunters favor magnum rilfes with plastic stocks and such. Seems like the word practical is foreign to them.

Anyways, I do not wish this post become negative. I simply wanted to say that I'm glad for guys like you: Hunters who appreciate their lever action rifles same as their Grandad's did.

Jack O'Connor spelled his name differently than me. I truely admired his writings. The spelling change is simply my way of honoring Jack but not taking away from his fame.
Jack

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Folks that think they need a megablaster to kill a deer at 100 yards dont get and most likely never will. At most hunting distances you are at no disadvantage what so ever with a levergun. And they do not lack in the accuracy dept. :lol:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Practical or not, lever actions are just COOL! 8)

I simply wanted to say that I'm glad for guys like you: Hunters who appreciate their lever action rifles same as their Grandad's did
Well, I didn't know hardly anything about rifles and ballistics when I bought my .35 Remington. But, I knew that's what "Poppie" had and I wanted one just like that.

The lastest and the "greatest" things always seem to come and go. But things "tried and true" seems to stick around forever. I guess that's because they just plain work.

8)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Aside from being cool, lever guns make hunting really fun - you have to work to get your deer - and much less likely to lose big amounts of meat blown to smitherines by a magnum hypervelocity round.

Just my opinion,

·
Registered
482 Posts
I will say that I was very lucky when I started looking for shooting information on the internet. A search for cast bullet loading invormation turned up Sixgunner.com. A great bunch of folks there also and many of them share these boards as well. That has been quite a few years ago(if you are a younger guy)and the internet and the looks of the sights have changed greatly. It wasn't until I felt a need to turn an old Mauser action into a .35 Whelen that I ran into some of the snobbish, rude boards.

Well as of now I haven't converted that Mauser YET and I don't visit those other boards either. Call it Ignorance or whatever you want, I call it common sense. When everywhere I hunt presents shots under 200 yards why would I need 8,000 lbs of muzzle energy? The biggest thing I might shoot would be a 300 lb Hog. 'Round here Mr. Pig does not live in a 500 yard parking lot. In my gallery on this sight I have my sight in target from last year. 10 shots under 15 minutes, well under, with the last 7 in or touching 4 sq inches. I have owned other rifles chambered with 'inherently' accurate calibers I couldn't ever work up a load that could do that well.

I'll end this rant with this, if you have two guns that are both adequately powerful for the game at hand and they both shoot 'MOA'(on a good day if I hold my mouth right the .35 does better, much better) why shoot a gun that woks you to death to cycle the action, beats you to death when you pull the trigger and causes irreparable hearing loss to do so?

I lied the end of the rant truly is .... and have guys like these to talk with and learn from?

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
I'd much, much rather hunt with my levers than some .330 Ultra Short Whatzit magnum. If you need to shoot your whitetail at 300 yards, you've screwed up. I value placing my deer stand in the right location and placing my shot exactly, and you don't get that with "Hail Mary" magnum shooting and long yardages.

The point of hunting is the close encounter, not lobbing lead at howitzer range.

I hunt in Nebraska, but the deer still live in the trees, and no better cartridges for deer hunting at these ranges can be found than those offered in lever action rifles.

Hunting with boltguns somehow doesn't seem like matching the gun to the terrain in whitetail country. The lever is the best tool for the job where I hunt.

The magnum hunters simply don't know what they're missing.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Bman,
I think you will like the 35 Whelen. It is truely a classic cartridge. The orginal poor mans magnum! Dont listen to any of mag snobs if they tell you a Whelen wont kill anything that walks on North America. It is easy to load for, you can make brass out 270, 30-06 cases and factory brass is easy to get. It is a thumper with hand loads!! I have a had a Rem 700 Classic since 1989 and just love it. That rifle is my go to gun, my other guns are fun, but that cartridge will do anything. Get that mauser ready and try it out.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
For years I hunted deer here in Illinois with a 50 cal. muzzleloader. Some people laughed at my " oldtime" rifle with slow bullets but I never had to trail a deer with that rifle and never needed a second shot. The one hog I've killed was shot at 10 feet on the ground with my first 336 and 170 gr. federal factory loads and never even twitched. That's hunting that will get your blood pumping. Just do what makes you happy and ignore the snobs. HYDE

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I believe if the "magnum" boys tried an underpowered lever there would be far less wounded deer and they would understand the "hunt" in hunting better. I love my lever guns as I do my bolt actions. The majority of my hunting is done still hunting or tracking in the woods of New England where the average shot is 100 yds or less and the lever gun feels just as good as it did when I received my first 336 in 30-30 for Xmas when I was twelve.

Hey to each his own but give it a try before spouting how great 3400fps and 4500 fpe are on a 165 lb deer :wink:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not to highjack a thread but it seems to me the underlying aspect of this whole topic are the kinds of groups people like to belong to. And it seems that those who like leverguns have much in common. For me I like to shoot a lot. If I had a choice, as much as I love to hunt, I'd pick a gun that I can spend the day at the range with. Levergunners, we, are these kinds of people. As a general rule we like to hang out at the range and socialize and enjoy the pleasures of our hobby. In my experience we are a very inclusive group. On the other side of the coin the long range(insert your own description here) folk lean to the shoot much less I can; take your pick, hit smaller, farther and or harder than you. Or "Let me see you make a clean 400 yards shot..." IN other words that aspect of shooting is much more individual and less social. I guess there is much eliteism in that group. And for sure if I spent 7-800 on the rifle and 400 on the scope once those dollars were gone and I was sitting in a stand or on a trail where shots never went over 100-150 yards I might be tempted to find ways to justify the equipment. Personally what I couldn't justify would be the resulting poor marksmanship that lack of practice causes.

Both of my Marlins exhibit exellent accuracy. I had three but Dad ended up with one to replace a big W. With that said based on the cost and quality of equipment I've set up next to guys who should have shot groups AT LEAST 1/2 the size of my averages, but don't. They are amazed, and I will be the first to tell you I don't shoot that well, but I shoot much more often. The sad thing is as good as I'm not......

I missed Ranch Dog's postal match again this year hopefully for the last time. I know my skills won't place but if it were all about winning only one person should compete.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Big Med You are right and one day, hopefully soon, I will do that project. Also I think the .350 Rem Mag ballistially copies the good ol' Whelen. What advantage a short action gives you in a gun that powerful I would not care to guess.

At this point I'm not sure if I'll use the standard chamber or do the Ackley Improvement also. Prolly go AI since I get more enjoyment from it and those down the road who might use the thing after me won't notice the loss of performance using factory ammo anyway.

I'll quit now, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Oh but good preachin it is my brother. :wink:

Dave 8)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jack,

I appreciate the post, a good one.

OK, magnums, I suppose that my 270W could be considered to be a bit of a fence sitter.

Anyway, I have a 336C now in 30-30. Hunting is fun again.

With the 270W, it was basically like going to the supermarket. The only difference being no trays and plastic wrap.

Don't get me wrong, the magnums have their place, but in most areas I hunt , shots are within 150 yds and the 30-30 handles it well.

If longer ranges are are a necessity, out come the 270W.

I also like the nice group of people that contribute to this forum.

Cheers from down under

Mark

G

·
Is What it IS

:( It's a sign of the times ,is what it is. Has very little to do with what is better or more in the line of common sense...(AH! many ask what is that?) It's the mind set that BIGGER IS BETTER, FASTER IS BETTER, irregardless of facts. And mines Bigger than yours mentaility that has taken over the masses. Then you have the magazines spouting all the super fast flat shooting ..blah ,blah etc. They do have their place. but the hunting Jack speaks of it not it. Of all the bolts and colection of firearms I own NONE!!! feel,balance, and can be brought to arms quicker ,more comfortably than my Marlin levers. They are like a part of you. :D --Jim-- the best one has a SC after the 336... :D

·
Registered
834 Posts
I started hunting deer with a Marlin lever as a kid. At 17 I left it behind for a whiz bang .300 Win Mag which I hunted with for a few years. As I got older I began to realize I was burning an awful lot of powder for nothing seeing as I mostly hunt heavy cover and have never taken a deer at over 75 yards, mostly under 50 and lots of times under 30. Now I'm back to my Marlin levers and the only bolt gun I own is a Browning .22 mag.

Nothing against bolts. They do have their place. I may pick one up to have around if the need for it arises, but for where and how I hunt my good ol levers serve me well.

Larry

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Jack, from time to time we all get at odds with each other. I know we've bumped heads a time or two, our disagreements are resolved and don't continue. I've read with great interest many threads you've written in and find your comments to be informative and "USEFUL". Do please continue to do so, if you are getting arguments in other forums, it is most likely you found an answer one of us "experts" failed to recognize. For that those of us who read will be thankful. Don't despair. Whole bunch of my friends I've met here and other forums, have answered threads differently. Far as what type of firearm to hunt with, that is up to the individual. If asked by friend or foe, what is the best all around deer caliber. I answer .308 winchester in a good turn bolt rifle. Do I own one? No! Far as my own personal preference in a hunting rifle, my marlin 38-55CB. What would I use in a long range situation, my bolt gun 7mm/06. I also hunt with a black powder rifle during a special season in Michigan. So please my friend keep up the good work here and "OTHER PLACES". Swany

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Swany:
I attended Ferris College in 1975-76. Their Welding program was top rated at the time. Not far from Howard City.

Once I rented a canoe for a deer hunt downstream from M-20 on the White River. I saw many deer and much un-hunted lands within .5 mile of the river. I shot a decent sized 3X3 whitetail buck on that hunt. That hunt remains a favorite memory for me.

But the West called me back and I ended up working in northern California for many years. Now we're pretty much settled in the Black Hills of western S. Dakota.

I'm thankful for the kind comments from you and the rest of the fellah's. Its nice to have common interests and views.

.308 is certainly an outstanding big game cartridge. I will not trade mine. It will perform on game same as 30-06 or .280 but without their recoil, length, or weight.
Jack

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree about lever guys being on the friendly side. It seems that for some reason people who are drawn to leverguns also exhibit a higher degree of chivilary and honorableness than society as a whole. It seems that while lever guys are shooters in the sense that they enjoy guns and shooting, they are also hunters who can put the sneak on their game instead of relying on long range rifles to get their meat. The lever gun makes a lot of sense to people who have a lot of sense I guess.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I shoot left-handed and a lever gun don't mind that I do. Bolt actions are a pain in the @#$ to shoot left handed. I own 3 Marlin 336 30-30's and a Savage 99 in .300 Savage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts