Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
A couple years ago I replaced sliding door to deck with a 6' French door, only one side is hinged. Took me 4 hours to take out the slider and put in the French door. I was generous with 100% silicone chalk, the $6 a tube type. Today I had to remove the door and reset it higher for the new tile floor I'm putting in the dining room. I used no nails, Torx screws counter sunk with plastic buttons over the heads. It took me a good 6 hrs to get that door out.

My chalk job was a bear to get loose. Used saws all as much as possible to cut through chalk and had to make a special blade for my oscillating saw to cut the chalk loose. Needed 6" blade and they don't sell one. Took a worn out blade and drilled 2 holes in it, took saws all blade and drilled it, ground off the end and cut big teeth in it with Dremel cut off wheels.

That pulled my fat out of the fire took 20 minutes to reset the door and got it in right before dark. Tomorrow have to trim out and replace deck boards I removed to get straight shot with saws all. It was a PIA but the door is $1k and didn't want to have to buy another. If I ever take that door out again it will be with my Saws All- in pieces.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I feel your pain. I am replacing the Well Pressure tank, water heater, and water softener this weekend.
Also doing some appearance things to the room they are housed in. Painting, some added waterproof paneling, and a little floor work.

I am really glad I paid attention to my Dad when I was a kid. He taught me and my brothers a lot of home repair.

Reactions: Mark Risch

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I do a lot of home stuff. Remodeling, you name it. I have a rule: what looks like an hour job will take at least 4 and I set no finish date/time for bath remodels, deck stuff etc. My friend wants help replacing a large deck, his wife thinks this is a weekend job. Those large doors are horrible to work with, glad you made it out alive.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
My perfect job the first time was what killed me taking the door back out. Had the hole perfect size and plumb & square. My lifetime chalk job with 100% silicone, didn't need the Torx screws. I took out 26, 3" screws and it made no difference, the door was glued in with the silicone caulk. This time I only put silicone under threshold on top of Trex for a not rot waterproof under door job.

All the time involved was cutting door loose from chalk. If I hadn't made the extended blade for oscillator saw would still be picking it out. Once the door was out 10 minutes with scraper blade had silicone off the door frame. Pic of ******* special extended blade. A standard bit won't drill saw blades. So much for another one of those jobs, you will never have to do again.
Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.