Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got word this morning that Joe Gross, the COO (Chief Operations Officer) for Freedom Group, and the man behind the brillant ideas to close Marlin and Bushmaster, has resigned.

Word on the street is,.................... "It was not his choice"........ ;D

It will be interesting to see how this is explained to the public...........I'm pretty sure the share holders already know the real story......

Tom

Reactions: 336

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
It's about time the right heads roll

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Tomray said:
...It will be interesting to see how this is explained to the public...
They will say, "Mr. Gross has chosen to pursue other interests. We hope that he is successful in his future endeavors, and wish him the best of luck in his new pursuits. Taking his place will be ________________, and we are sure that with his (her) experience, guidance, and expectations, the Freedom Group will remain as the foremost... -- yada, yada, yada..."

It will be candy-coated and polished so that the investors can rest easliy at night, knowing that their money is being well managed.

In the meantime, it will take some period for the new COO to affect a cultural change to impact how they actually do business.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I have a solution to this .. Move it all back to CT with new Machines . and Hire back the people that know how to make it work . . and give them intrest and say like a co -op

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Gunjunkie said:
I have a solution to this .. Move it all back to CT with new Machines . and Hire back the people that know how to make it work . . and give them intrest and say like a co -op
Better yet, make Marlin Firearms a publicly traded, independent operating entity, in which the former Marlin employees are offered shares like Gunjunkie said, as part of a profit sharing 401k type plan with emphasis on years of service and experience -- that should get some good experienced help coming back to the table. Go one step further, and offer a discounted rate to purchase a certain number of shares for each new Marlin (purchased as new, at retail) -- that should help get some of us Marlin Owners back on board with supporting "the ol' home team" so to speak.

If the Freedom Group thinks they can continue to blunder along the same path they have been aimlessly trodding for the last 7 or 8 months now, and keep newly manufactured Marlins going out the doors of retailers, they are idiots. I, for one, will NOT spend ANY of my dough on a newly manufactured Marlin. Speaking for myself, of course, if I see a Marlin that I think I may want, it will have been made in, or prior to, 2007, which is when they started to bring Remington employees into the Marlin fold for training based on what I have heard mentioned before.

I am no business guru, but peddled groceries in Jr. High and High School long enough to know how to schmooze the ruffled feathers of loyal customers. If we customers don't buy into any new tack the Freedom Group takes, then the Marlins as we know them are already finished, done, gone, and buried...

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Gunjunkie said:
YES! ;D Gee hope it had nothing to do with the rotten feedback ive been giving! ::)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tomray said:
I just got word this morning that Joe Gross, the COO (Chief Operations Officer) for Freedom Group, and the man behind the brillant ideas to close Marlin and Bushmaster, has resigned.

It will be interesting to see how this is explained to the public...........I'm pretty sure the share holders already know the real story......

Tom
TOO BAD IT TOOK THIS LONG. This is great news. What goes around comes around.

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Unfortunately Big Business USA does not pay attention to the consumers any more. They think they already know what we the consumer wants and they will do what they think we want regardless about who we complain to about what we think we want and they will still come out with the crappy stuff that they think we think we want them to think we want . . . . . . . .

Do you think I would make a great COO?????

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I hate it for him. But it sounds like he's done something to tick someone at Cerebus off.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Tomray said:

Tom
Hi Tom ;D

In the official memo we received about this there was no mention of his future career plans, just that he will be resigning on Feb. 15.

Today will be the last "official" day of production in CT. Tomorrow is the last day of employement for my guys in the Semi-Auto Breech Bolt cell, as well as the finish filier, inspector, and two remaining polishers. The equipment moves out early next week, my last day is Tuesday, Feb. 15, same as the former COO.

We are the last of the Mohegans, standing tall and proud 'til the end.

Dom

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just so you know who is REALLY in charge of Cerberus......

Robert L. Nardelli was appointed as a director of the Board, effective immediately. Mr. Nardelli has served as the chief executive officer of Cerberus Operating and Advisory Company LLC, an affiliate of Cerberus, since July 2009. From August 2007 until April 2009, he served as chief executive officer of Chrysler Motors LLC. From December 2000 until January 2007, he served as chief executive officer of The Home Depot, Inc. Mr. Nardelli also serves on the board of directors of New Page Corporation, an affiliate of Cerberus.

He did wonders for Chrysler and Home Depot when he was there..... ::)

And after slashing wages and cutting back full time employees at HD, he walked away with millions $$...........

From WSJ
By JOANN S. LUBLIN, ANN ZIMMERMAN and CHAD
TERHUNE
January 4, 2007;

Yesterday, Home Depot, the world's third-largest
retailer by sales, announced a big change: Mr.
Nardelli was leaving the company, taking an exit
package valued at about $210 million, including
$20 million in cash severance.
Mr. Nardelli failed to reignite Home Depot's
slowing sales and sagging stock price. Other
problems compounded his troubles. His
autocratic style clashed with a freewheeling
culture fostered by the company's founders. His
aggressive handling of the company's most
recent annual meeting, where no outside
directors were on hand and limits were set on
shareholders' questions, outraged some
investors.

·
Registered
651 Posts
We do not know why he was asked to leave, if that is true

He no doubt made a pot full of money during his time at Freedom Group, and likely will enjoy a huge severance package, probably worth more than the entire GDP of a handful of third world countries

And the permanent damage has been done to the former Marlin employees, the local economy, suppliers, etc.

But its still a warm fuzzy feeling :)

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
domct203 said:
Hi Tom ;D

In the official memo we received about this there was no mention of his future career plans, just that he will be resigning on Feb. 15.

Today will be the last "official" day of production in CT. Tomorrow is the last day of employement for my guys in the Semi-Auto Breech Bolt cell, as well as the finish filier, inspector, and two remaining polishers. The equipment moves out early next week, my last day is Tuesday, Feb. 15, same as the former COO.

Dom
May god Bless you Dom,Tom and all the other Marlin employees I want to thank you for all the many wonderful years of service you gave to Marlin and I pray that all of ya'll will be able to find employment!!!May God Bless you all!!!!! I will continue to enjoy my Connecticut made Marlins for many years that you guys poured your blood,sweat and tears into making!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Robert L. Nardelli was appointed as a director of the Board, effective immediately.
If this is true we're doomed.

Nardelli took a bad situation at Home Depot and made it worse. He is all about cost cutting and to hell with quality. I was working at a HD when they brought him in...the moral tanked, the store was dirty and disorganized, customer service sucked and I quit.
The $210 million Nardelli took when he left was more a pay off to get him the hell out, than any type of reward. This guys management style alienates the employees. Maybe not a smart move when the employees all have guns.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
domct203 said:
Hi Tom ;D

Dom
You be sure to tell all that is left they are more than welcome to join up here a Marlinowners you all are family to us ..

·
Registered
649 Posts
rbertalotto said:

Robert L. Nardelli was appointed as a director of the Board, effective immediately.
oh, that's not good news at all.... :-[

It's amazing that what guys like that do isn't considered some kind of a crime...

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
domct203 said:
Hi Tom ;D

Dom
My hat is off to all of you.. You were a large part of a great American icon, a legacy.
My best to everyone who worked at Marlin in CT.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
rbertalotto said:

Robert L. Nardelli was appointed as a director of the Board, effective immediately. Mr. Nardelli has served as the chief executive officer of Cerberus Operating and Advisory Company LLC, an affiliate of Cerberus, since July 2009. From August 2007 until April 2009, he served as chief executive officer of Chrysler Motors LLC. From December 2000 until January 2007, he served as chief executive officer of The Home Depot, Inc. Mr. Nardelli also serves on the board of directors of New Page Corporation, an affiliate of Cerberus.

He did wonders for Chrysler and Home Depot when he was there..... ::)

And after slashing wages and cutting back full time employees at HD, he walked away with millions $$...........

From WSJ
By JOANN S. LUBLIN, ANN ZIMMERMAN and CHAD
TERHUNE
January 4, 2007;

Yesterday, Home Depot, the world's third-largest
retailer by sales, announced a big change: Mr.
Nardelli was leaving the company, taking an exit
package valued at about $210 million, including
$20 million in cash severance.
Mr. Nardelli failed to reignite Home Depot's
slowing sales and sagging stock price. Other
problems compounded his troubles. His
autocratic style clashed with a freewheeling
culture fostered by the company's founders. His
aggressive handling of the company's most
recent annual meeting, where no outside
directors were on hand and limits were set on
shareholders' questions, outraged some
investors.
It is all a big club, call it the Top 1 Percent Club. Once you are a member you will always be one, no matter how big a failure you are, you will fail upwards. Unless you fall from grace by some sort of scandal, or get in trouble with the Feds and go get sent to prison you are entitled to the extreme wealth that everyone in the top 1% has. It doesn't matter if you earned it or were born with it, it is yours to play god with other peoples livelihoods. The top 1%, now owns upwards of some 40% of the wealth in this land. I guess he deserves as his reward for being a failure his 210 million dollar parachute, I wonder how badly he will screw up Marlin now, and what his reward will be for doing it?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My sincerest thanks to all the Connecticut folks who poured their lives into making a legendary sporting arms name the finest in the business....I will always use mine proudly and with you all in mind as though you are at the range or sitting among the pines with me

·
Registered
99 Posts
Smokey262 said:
We do not know why he was asked to leave, if that is true

He no doubt made a pot full of money during his time at Freedom Group, and likely will enjoy a huge severance package, probably worth more than the entire GDP of a handful of third world countries

And the permanent damage has been done to the former Marlin employees, the local economy, suppliers, etc.

But its still a warm fuzzy feeling :)
He was asked to leave because he knows nothing about guns or how to make them, and came really close to completely killing the Marlin and Bushmaster name. This is damage control to try and salvage whats left. Because of him the new people were never properly trained an now will never get that training. They are learning from their mistakes. He was a money man. That's what he did. Watched the pennies. He came from mohen. You can't put a guy from a company that made toilet seats and faucets in charge of multiple gun companies. Let's just hope he stays out of the gun industry and goes back to toilets. Cerberus needs to put people who know the gun buisness in charge of the freedom group. Not a bunch of retread losers who don't know the industry and make millions from screwing up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts