Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been toying with the idea of a nice FA in 44mag or 454. They look like fine machined Swiss watches IMO.... I have always liked the looks of them and can't think of a finer SA handgun off the top of my head :hmmmm:

Soo, Who has one and what's your thoughts of it? What caliber do you have? How is the accuracy, bbl length? Is your's scoped or irons:questionmark:

Just want to hear everyones overall thoughts about them....

Thanks
BloodGroove4570

PS

PICS are More than Welcome here!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Shot a 44 spcl, and a local fella has a 32 H&R. All I can say is lay out the money and don't look back!

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I had a .454, 7 1/2" as I recall. It was a wonderful revolver but more gun than I wanted. As you observed, it is built with the precision of a Swiss watch and the strength of an Abrams tank. I did not care for the quasi Bisly grip frame.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have a .454 2nd year of production (before the Field Grade was introduced) so over 25 years old. Unknown history (I bought it about 5 years ago) so I sent it back to FA to have the 10" barrel shortened to 7.5" (think it was a silhouette gun orig.) and complete check for wear. All parts were "in spec" except cylinder hand, which was replaced. Factory folks are great people and hunters themselves.
It is hands down the finest revolver I have ever seen, held, or shot. It only sees full power loads for 2 weeks in November, but gets year around duty loaded with "warm" 45 Colt loads (950-1000fps 250gr cast Keith SWC or Hornady XTPs) because it is so much fun to shoot. I had it scoped (2x Leupold) for a while, but reinstalled irons cuz it felt clunky and destroyed balance and "handiness." Also figured 2.5" groups were good enough to kill deer at 100 yards (could get 1.5" with scope and sandbags.)
You will not be sorry, IMO!

Reactions: M700 and miket156

·
Registered
763 Posts
I had a .454, 7 1/2" as I recall. It was a wonderful revolver but more gun than I wanted. As you observed, it is built with the precision of a Swiss watch and the strength of an Abrams tank. I did not care for the quasi Bisly grip frame.
Mine came to me with Pachmayrs on it. Like the looks of the original micarta grips, but as long as there is a chance of shooting full power (1600fps) loads the rubber grips aren't coming off! Also have a friend with a .475 Linebaugh that I shot...never let anyone tell you that is no such thing as "too much of a good thing!"

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My Father had a Freedom Arms 44 mag. It was stainless steel with a 6 or 7 inch barrel. It had some green or Pepper laminate grips. It was a beautiful gun. I don't recall shooting it my self, but dad said it was very accurate and Dad is a Expert shooter. While we were deer hunting in Kentucky he showed it to me and I noticed that it was real dirty so I pulled the cylinder out to clean it. He said he had shot it about 20 time a couple of days before we went to Kentucky and only wiped it down. For some reason when I put the cylinder back in it seemed as though the cylinder got out of time. It was very rough when cocking and rotating the cylinder at half cock. .I removed the pin and reassembled it several times and it still seemed out of time. I advised him not to shoot it until he took it to a gun smith, and have it checked. I don't know what the out come was on it. Dad said it was fine but, I know it was not. He doesn't have it anymore. I never questioned him further about it but, Dad does not get rid of guns unless I talk him into it. Many mistakes I have made in my past. I believe those are very expensive guns, but in my opinion I would rather have a Ruger Black Hawk instead. It sure was purdy. As I recall it did not have a fluted cylinder just solid cast. I just didn't like that but I'm sure it made the cylinder much stronger. It had adjustable sights if my memory is right. I am not trying to discourage you because I believe they are fine guns.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I just been kickin the idea around of a FA, or gettin my SBH worked on by Clements or Bowen.? I'd just like to have a Very smooth and sweet SA to enjoy...
My SBH just doesn't seem as smooth as it "could be"? It's smooth don't get me wrong, but seems it could be smoother IMO. If I do decide to get it sent out and a little work done on it I might as well go further and have as much as I can afford done to it....?
That's why I was thinking about a FA instead of sending mine out...

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone tell me if the Bisley grip/grip frame is longer than the standard Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk grip?.??

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
763 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the Bisley grip/grip frame is longer than the standard Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk grip?.??
BloodGroove4570
Don't know if it is longer, but I think it is different, as Pachmayr lists a specific grip for the FA.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Mine is the original Premier grade with all options in 7.5".

Bought it new with the Lyman 260g TC mould they sold at that time.

I've chrono'd 1875fps from it. That was the midrange loading too!

Should have seen the folks faces when that reading came through. LOL!

Finest factory SA in the world. Kind of like a Korth is for a double action or a Sig P210 is for a semi auto.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I have a Model 83 Freedom Arms with 4 3/4 inch barrel in 454 casull. I think it has been shot 10 times. Also have 95 rounds of new ammo for it. It in the blue box and has pachmayers on it. The gun locks up like a bank vault. I have never shot it. Lets trade Ray.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Model 83 Freedom Arms with 4 3/4 inch barrel in 454 casull. I think it has been shot 10 times. Also have 95 rounds of new ammo for it. It in the blue box and has pachmayers on it. The gun locks up like a bank vault. I have never shot it. Lets trade Ray.
Hmmmm :biggrin: .....I like'em shorty's, might not when I put the Booger Hooker on the BANG Switch though! :ahhhhh: :marchmellow:

·
Premium Member
12,138 Posts
Don't own one, have shot one in .454.

Wow! What a gun! Accurate. Extremely well built. Kicks like a doggone mule! My .500 Smith & Wesson doesn't kick as much despite being more powerful.

If I had one, I'd warm load some .45 Colt ammo for it most of the time. Warm, not hot. Save the .454's for special occasions, like grizzly bear or moose hunts or something. :biggrin:

Guy

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
I hear you Guy, I figured I would load some 454's if I heard Bigfoot had been sighted close by. I had planned on loading some gaschecked cast boolits down to warm 45 LC loads using the 454 brass if I don't sell it .

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the SBH is gettin worked on quicker than I thought.? She's torn apart on my loading bench and gonna get a "Manicure" tomorrow if I can figure out what I'm doing with it!?:flute: ...:biggrin:
I guess I'll find out tomorrow what makes her Tic!!!! :marchmellow:

Wish me luck. :tee:

BloodGroove4570

·
Super Moderator
12,053 Posts

BloodGroove4570
I dunno about longer but I like it better. Seems to point more naturally to me. Been wanting a Bisley Hunter...

Found this - it looks to be the same - just different.
Frames-ALL-sm.jpg

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I've got a FA Field Grade 7.5" that I bought in the late 1980's. Mine is iron-sighted, toyed a number of times with the idea of mounting a scope, but it was too clunky. Mine is a .454.

It is a nice gun, probably more accurate than I ever get to be, belches flame and thunder.

I've had other guys beside me on indoor ranges, with looks ranging from awe to being annoyed. Few of them wanted to try it, fewer went with more than 2 - 3 rounds fired.

I reload for it, with bullets weighing from 185 - 300 grains, fairly stout loads.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts