Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So where are all those free eradication hog hunts we often hear about? Only thing I have found with web search are bogus where hogs are released into a fenced area, only pay a "guide fee". I live in NC but being retired would be happy to drive a couple of days for a real opportunity for free eradication hunts in order to stock the freezer. Only pay to hunt and overcrowded state lands around here.

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
So where are all those free eradication hog hunts we often hear about? Only thing I have found with web search are bogus where hogs are released into a fenced area, only pay a "guide fee". I live in NC but being retired would be happy to drive a couple of days for a real opportunity for free eradication hunts in order to stock the freezer. Only pay to hunt and overcrowded state lands around here.
Head down to Lake Russell in SC or the GA side. The entire perimeter of the lake is open to public hunting. You have at least a hundred yards of public land from the waters edge that may be hunted with over 500 miles of shoreline. There are sounders of hogs that swim across the lake.
Andrew

·
Registered
863 Posts
When I checked on that, (my buddy lives in KY) he pretty much said the locals don't want out of staters hunting their property. What sounds easy most times is not. I hope you have better luck then I did.

Reactions: Owen49 and JoeJ

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Then there's "inexpensive" hog hunts. I found one in Arkansas a couple years ago. Drove for 20 hours and stayed 3 days with about 8/10 other hunters/shooters (couple left early). We had blinds & stands to shoot from with feeders out front - only problem was none of us saw a hog. Lots of birds coming to the feeders.

Seems nothing is as it would appear to be - just like upland bird hunting in some States. Plenty of land and birds - problem being the farmers and ranchers don't want you walking their property unless you pay a King's ransom and them some. Tax dollars going to them for farm subsidies, CRP and such don't count. If it wasn't for the CRP program, there wouldn't be very many birds with todays farming practices being fence row to fence row and leaving the land bare over the winter to get an early planting start in the spring. Times have changed and it won't get better in my lifetime.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Head down to Lake Russell in SC or the GA side. The entire perimeter of the lake is open to public hunting. You have at least a hundred yards of public land from the waters edge that may be hunted with over 500 miles of shoreline. There are sounders of hogs that swim across the lake.
Andrew
This area of GA/SC is overrun with wild pigs, I hunted my cousins farm last year and early this past spring, the problem they where nocturnal and constantly moving. Trapping is a better solution. Not sure about GA but SC regs prohibit the use of center fire cartridges on public land during small game or turkey season even if you're after hogs. This doesn't make a lot of sense when they are considered invasive and everyone wants them gone.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I am sure that some of the landowners might have liability concerns.
Exactly!! Guys I manage a large piece of farm land and the world has changed people come on the property and steal diesel fuel they cut the locks of the gates they destroy property and will sue you if they get hurt on the property. If they shoot my diesel fuel tanks it cost $20,000 dollars just to do the clean up. They don't want the hog damage but the liability risk is way more than the hog damage.

·
Registered
28,549 Posts
Exactly!! Guys I manage a large piece of farm land and the world has changed people come on the property and steal diesel fuel they cut the locks of the gates they destroy property and will sue you if they get hurt on the property. If they shoot my diesel fuel tanks it cost $20,000 dollars just to do the clean up. They don't want the hog damage but the liability risk is way more than the hog damage.
yep people are jerks. me I ask permission . close and lock gates behind me. ask where I should not go. if I see any problems with fences etc I notify the land owner.if I got hurt its on me. just drag me to the hospital. I ask the owner if he wants some of the animal or a fine bottle of his favorite booze etc.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Hey Pirate is spot on. I also manage a large property but we do NOT have hogs.I don't usually like to invite folks as just like the kids story "if you give a moose a muffin" next thing you know is you got trash, broken stuff, stolen stuff, and did I say trash! I have enough trouble with the out of town bear hunters running dogs and coming on to the property, and yes I can tell where they have been by following the trail of trash, soda cans beer cans etc..People just aren't the same today.

I would suggest that you find a farmer that has a hog problem and become friends, volunteer to help them, provide some skill or labor and when you establish that relationship you may find success. But trust to treat someone else's property like it is yours is difficult to establish today. Heck I pay my employees good but they still don't care of our company stuff!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Same rules apply in Ga on WMA or public land unless special hunt . Private lands are not restricted to rim fire

·
Banned
98 Posts
I have a friend who is a pecan farmer here in Georgia. I had inquired a few years back about squirrel hunting on his farm---he was reluctant and changed the topic. Over the next few years as pecans hit $3.00/pound in the shell and he was watching squirrels toting them off all day, he started begging me to come shoot.

And, for those inquiring minds.... I live in the pecan capital of the world and it is pronounced pee can! :eek:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The point I find most distressing is that obviously the ones out there destroying and or misusing someone else's property are some of the representatives of hunting and gun ownership rights. It shows poorly and I scratch my head wondering why these people most likely raised in more conservatives homes and families don't have better manners and respect. It appears to be a downward spiral and another social commentary. It's truly sad and I just don't understand it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
we've had several generations that have lived without great sacrifice and it shows in the way they raise their children, a lack of respect and patience in the land of "mine" and "now".
But for fear of getting to side tracked back to the topic at hand.
nothing of substance happens for free, as a few members have stated it requires some looking around, some patience, and some people skills. I have two instances where it's happened so bear with me on the wall of text.
First one came from a work friends friend. I'm polite and get along with basicly everyone so my co-worker (an older female, with a small farm) and I hit it off well. we talked about horses since my daughters love ponies and foals and of course we got talking about organic or local meat and produce, I brought in some wild pig for everyone after a hunt and she referred me to a friend that was having troubles with hogs in her orange grove since we share a passion for local agriculture. I was also contacted to see if I could hunt the coyote that took one of her lambs a few months back. so it took a few months and not being terribly aggressive about it also offering to help do fence work or haul hay if needed.
The second lead I got was when I had the exterminator over and while waiting for all the papers to come through and traps to be set I brought up the old "so what do you do in your off time" and we talked about family, hunting and shooting. if you look at my post in the 336 forum you'll get the whole shebang, but long story short I was invited over to help deal with his pig problem after offering him a good trade on a hunting rifle.

I know your milage may vary but by not starting with "hey can I shoot animals at your place?" you'll be off to a good start.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I live in Georgia and many if not most places are overrun with hogs doing massive damage.
The State decided to start up a program where landowners could advertise for hunters and trappers to help eliminate hogs on their property. They were free to charge, require liability insurance or any restrictions they wanted.

Many of us signed up to be hunters and the silence was deafening. Everyone complains of the problem but no one wants to allow hunter access.

I finally found a good deal. A hunting club advertised for pig hunters to hunt when it was not deer season for not much money. My buddy and I thought it was a scam but we went and checked it out. This will be our fourth year hunting 1400 acres of hardwoods, pines,creeks and swamps. We can hunt January to October and kill all the hogs we want. There are many hogs there but they are still hard to kill as they are constantly moving.

I think hunters checking with hunting clubs about hunting in the off deer season is a good idea. It keeps the hog population down, protects the food plots and us being there all year helps to watch and protect the property.

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think hunters checking with hunting clubs about hunting in the off deer season is a good idea. It keeps the hog population down, protects the food plots and us being there all year helps to watch and protect the property.
thats an excellent idea. I have noticed some hunt camps trying to get pigs out so deer have less competition. probably a good reduced cost hunt.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
I have a lot of hogs on the place I hunt, and here where I live.
I can show you 100's of pics like this-
Nature Natural landscape Wildlife Tree Black-and-white

The thing is, it's not as easy as sitting a stand and waiting every time.
Like the last post says, they move. Sometimes, they only move at night.
Sometimes they'll leave an area for a few weeks and then they come back.
When the acorns fall here in mid October, you will have a hard time seeing
one at a feeder. This is often the case with deer as well.
Lots of people here go out and hunt them all night...
I'm not that committed.
Another thing I've figured out, is that once you shoot one or two, they will
leave the area for awhile.
I've been hunting them around here since the 90's.
Unless you are completely saturated with them, it's not as easy as it sounds.
I like having hogs to hunt.
I can hunt them out the window of my gun room here.
A few years ago, the dog guys ran them all out...
I trapped some and turned them loose here.
Now we have some again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.