Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed to Hood River Oregon where I met up with a couple of buddies. Headed north from there, mostly off-pavement. Great trip. Spent three nights in my tent. Cooked. Goofed off. Took photos. Saw parts of Washington I've never seen before. Had to shorten our journey by about a half day when we were getting close to my home town. Road closures due to our crazy wildfires. Here's a few photos from the trip. Good stuff. Saw some elk and deer as well.

Rocks. Mud. Steep slopes. Tight, twisty roads. Deep ruts. It was a hoot!

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
great pictures
looks like a great adventure

Reactions: M700

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Great Pictures..................There seems to be a LOT more open space out there, than in the North East. The trees on the sides of our logging and tote roads just knit together over time.

Guy, I'm curious...........how did you handle the electronic traction control circuit in your jeep when you converted the two Difs to lockers?

Thanks
Tom

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Great Photos - - as always... :biggrin:

One of these days, I swear, I'm going to talk my wife into a Jeep. So far, she just keeps telling me that all we have to do is trade in my pick-up. I don't have the heart to tell her that her car doesn't hold much brush when the time comes to trim her lilac hedges again...

As for the wooden structure, it looks like the frame work for a stamp mill line - - the one Guy took a photo of is from the Blewett Gold Mine. Here is a photo of one from Deadwood, in operation around the turn of the century.

stamp mill - deadwood sd.jpg

They were state of the art for primary crushing of ore - - about 120 years ago. If you do a google search on "stamp mills" or stamp mills in mining, you'll get a ton of examples, including the actual mill that Guy showed us. Mining History is good stuff! It made America what it is, and folks need to remember that if it can't be grown, it has to be mined. :biggrin:

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Man, that DOES sound like a hoot. Unbelievable panoramic view. That is getting out in the STICKS. Its nice to have a group when tent camping in the remote bush.

Thanks for sharing!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Looks like a great time!

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great Pictures..................There seems to be a LOT more open space out there, than in the North East. The trees on the sides of our logging and tote roads just knit together over time.

Tomray, Washington has two very different sides. West of the Cascades is Very, Very wet. Rainforest wet in some places. LOTS of trees, very thick. It's a result of all that wonderful, moist air coming in off the Pacific Ocean. East of the Cascades is very dry. My town only gets about 8" of precip a year, pretty much high desert. Most of the snow & rain falls on the western side of the Cascades so the growth on the eastern slope is much more limited, and there is a lot more room between trees. Head very far east of my home and you can go miles & miles with no trees...

Guy, I'm curious...........how did you handle the electronic traction control circuit in your jeep when you converted the two Difs to lockers?

I had an air locker installed in the front diff and a limited slip installed in the rear diff. Didn't have to mess with the electronic traction control at all. Up front, there is no locking action until I flip a switch, then the right & left wheels are locked. Really tough to steer that way, but great for pulling up a nasty, slippery slope. The rear diff is a limited slip, similar to the factory option, but with a lot more pre-load built in. As a result the factory traction control almost never kicks in anymore. That rear limited slip just grabs & goes. I've been told that the electronic traction control and a limited slip diff actually compliment each other very well. Like back in the old days when we'd physically manipulate the parking brake lever to get the rear limited slip to work harder and lock up better... Only now it happens much better due to the traction control. BTW, the factory traction control on these new Jeeps is excellent! I just wanted more.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me, posing by my Jeep atop a vast ridge, more or less west of Yakima, WA.

A little mud. 50' to the left of the photo, is a drop of about a thousand feet...

Next to the big dropoff:

Camp, second night:

This was a really great trip, and the last leg of a journey I've been working on this summer. Wanted to drive from Oregon to Canada, mostly on dirt roads. I've done it now, and the route is about 600 miles long, mostly dirt. Most of it is just dirt & rocky roads, none is a particularly challenging "jeep trail" though there are some really steep, loose spots. Earlier this summer I ran into some big, soft snow drifts that gave me some trouble and made me use the winch to get out of the trouble I'd driven into... It's a neat route, and it was a lot of fun sharing this part of it with a couple of good guys.

Guy

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hello Guy
Man that looks like some Awesome good fun you had!!!!
You have some great lookin country by you. I Have to get out of this state!!! ;(

As always thanks for taking us (pics) along on the journey!

BloodGroove4570

PS
What did you have along for a "Partner"?
Kimber or 629? :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Thanks for the reply Guy..................I think I understand the relationship of the Electronic Traction Control and the LS dif better now......

Hey, I finally posted a thread about "The New Addition" here.............I'm hoping to get it to VT in Sept to wring it out a bit.

Thanks again for the response...........That looked like great trip............I envy you that spectacular country.

Tom

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Miss Kimber accomapnied me on this particular trip. Stoked with some new ammo. New to me. Hornady 220 gr gummy tip .45 ACP. It shoots well from my 1911. I have not yet tried an expansion/penetration test with it. Heck, it looks so mean, bad guys and attacking grizzly bears would probably fall over and die of fear if they knew what was in the magazine... :biggrin:

Yes, this is the kind of trip I could only dream of before "retirement." Now that I'm my own boss, I just scheduled the weekend and a couple of extra days off! Nice... :tee:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Man, looks like a great time. Haven't done anything like that in a while. Thanks for posting that and getting me thinking.

·
Registered
625 Posts
DWB,is correct. That is an old mill stamp. I live next to the old Empire Mine in no. cal and my step ather worked there and I got to see it work. The mines in the area all closed in 1956 when the price of gold dropped below $35.00 an ounce. They moved the old millstamp to the city parking lot, with a brass marker telling about it. There are several of these located through the area.

Gun Runner

·
Premium Member
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, since this adventure last summer, I had the rear limited slip replaced by another air locker.

Nice to be able to run open diffs on the ice and snow covered roads here.

It was a good trip guys. Have a bigger adventure in the planning, for this coming summer. :biggrin:

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
22,440 Posts
Looks like you're living the Jeep commercial - the one most of us only wish we could be in. Looks like a great time! Good for you!

Gr8rtst

1 - 20 of 23 Posts