Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 1895G over the weekend. I have been looking for a handy heavy timber elk gun for shots under 100yds. I have a 375 Marlin, but wanted something with a little more poop. It is ported with a Pachmyar recoil pad and JM stamped. Now, off to the range!

Dave

·
Banned
457 Posts
congrats have fun

·
Administrator
28,327 Posts
Yep, that should do the trick. That's a very nice ported 1895G.

Looking forward to a range report.

Jack

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
17,013 Posts
Hey Dave,

Great looking 1895 G!

Wish you success on your elk hunting.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Take me with you!

Nice looking boomstick!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Dave, nice snag on the Marlin shoulder mounted light field artillary piece. CDOC's load info should work well on Elk or anything short of an M 1 Abrams. Take care and keep us in the loop, John.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Very nice and certainly appropriate medicine for your purpose.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
"Found the perfect timber elk gun" ...

I don't think you're going to get any arguments from the Marlin crowd. I will say this though ... I truly believe that Marlins, including the 45-70 rifles, being the "under 100 yards" rifle is a myth. I believe that with serious load development along with practice, you could expand that yardage by 25-50 yards fairly easily.

Congratulations on getting a fine example of a well made hunting rifle. Elk slayer? Oh yeah ... :tee:

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
:congrats:And no arguments from the RUGER #1s - 45/70 crowd.:congrats:

The 45/70 is simply awesome :biggrin: and I'm good to go for 250yds +/-

And that without attempting to make the caliber what it isn't. For that, I have other rifles.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:congrats:And no arguments from the RUGER #1s - 45/70 crowd.:congrats:

The 45/70 is simply awesome :biggrin: and I'm good to go for 250yds +/-

And that without attempting to make the caliber what it isn't. For that, I have other rifles.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

First off, this is strictly a timber rifle for me. I have several Ruger #1 rifles I hunt elk with including chamberings in .338Wim Mag, 35 Whelen, and 7mm Rem Mag. I also have a Whitworth Express rifle in 375H&H Mag that I use for elk. The Guide Gun will probably not see many shots over 75 yards, let alone 100, so it is perfectly suited for my needs. I will probably install an XS sighting system, not a scope, although I do have a little compact Leupold 1-4 that would work great. I forgot to mention in my original post that I paid $500 OTD for this rifle. Also, I don't reload for this caliber, so it will be factory offerings, maybe some Buffalo Bore loads. We shall see........

Dave

·
Registered
473 Posts
WOW Grassyman!

Now couple that rifle with a good Wide Flat Nose (WFN) cast bullet of over 400gr and you will have an AWESOME elk getter.

I find my 465gr WFN cast at about 1650fps to be very deadly on deer and elk.

Looking forward to progress reports.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep that there load will be a BANG, FLIP, FLIP, FLOP load for sure!

I do love my 1895GS it is one great hog gun. Can't wait to try it out now that I'm in Denver.

Ken

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I bought this 1895G over the weekend. I have been looking for a handy heavy timber elk gun for shots under 100yds. I have a 375 Marlin, but wanted something with a little more poop. It is ported with a Pachmyar recoil pad and JM stamped. Now, off to the range!

Dave
Very nice! :congrats:

Reactions: Survivor99

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
very nice find!! love the 45-70 and also in Ruger #1. I just finished loading 150 rds of various ammo for the beasts ( 50 rds of 53 gr 3031 over speer 400 gr jacketed)and plan on having a fun easter weekend on the farm................. the other 100 rds are 405 lasercast over various amounts of bluedot for reduced loads.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts